2013 Toronto Goodlife Marathon - May 5

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Re: 2013 Toronto Goodlife Marathon - May 5

Postby canalrunner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:My question to those who have run this course before. I waw thinking of trying to do a negative split 4:15 but the first half of the course is down hill and will be the coolest temps as the day goes on. Does it make sense for a race like this to try just for an even pace or positive split because of the elevation drop

Good assessment of why your first half may be quicker. I'd say try for even or a small negative split as far as energy output goes - but pace may not reflect this effort. A perfectly run race would likely see a minute or 90 seconds saved on the Rosedale Valley Road stretch and other downhills in the first half that would be hard to match in the second.

I'd say the same thing--maybe even 2-3 minutes. Sweet first half after the Hog Hollow bit. Adjusted goal for my son's first marathon is 3:40 to 3:45. Anybody find it weird to be running the Toronto Marathon with the Leafs playing playoff hockey rather than golfing or in training camp for another season of futility. (Don't worry, it won't last long)
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

Be sure to say hello if you spot me, I will do the same. I have the slimming bib number, #111, strapped to an otherwise pleasantly chunky dude in a Boston, We Run With You T-shirt.

Dave
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Fri May 03, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am

I'll be sporting bib 3793, with this shirt:

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

2013 Toronto Goodlife Marathon - May 5

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:01 pm

Port o potties outside my building!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 am

OK, I'm getting a wee bit nervous about the warm temps predicted! I'll take the sunshine any day, but maybe 5 degrees cooler please? Hopefully the race will be done before it reaches the high for the day - which is predicted to be 20.

Nothing but sunshine in the forecast!

Bib 7296!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

christine84

Postby christine84 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

First time running this particular half. How organized is the start? Just wondering how early I should be getting to my corral. The Scotia half last year was a bit of a mess at the start and it took ages to get into the corral. thx!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 am

christine84 wrote:First time running this particular half. How organized is the start? Just wondering how early I should be getting to my corral. The Scotia half last year was a bit of a mess at the start and it took ages to get into the corral. thx!

You will find it MUCH smaller than Scotia. No worries - maybe 10 minutes prior. Good Luck!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 am

purdy65 wrote:OK, I'm getting a wee bit nervous about the warm temps predicted! I'll take the sunshine any day, but maybe 5 degrees cooler please? Hopefully the race will be done before it reaches the high for the day - which is predicted to be 20.

Nothing but sunshine in the forecast!

Bib 7296!

Looks like it'll be nice and cool at the start and get progressively less tolerable! Might have to jump in the lake on the trip back along the shore.

On the bright side - low winds predicted, and humidity shouldn't be bad.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Fri May 03, 2013 9:06 am

I will be sporting Bib# 604 :D

Hopefully I will be wearing my "Boston" shirt too. I am going to the expo today to get my kit and shirt - hopefully it fits well.

I too am a little concerned about my 'hydration' plan. The first few runs in tough heat/humidity always gets to me and I take in too much fluid and get cramps. The sunshine is fantastic though. Usually the early May races are cool, windy and rain!
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 am

tgilpin wrote:Hopefully I will be wearing my "Boston" shirt too.

Saw them at the expo, they look great! ;)

;)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

purdy65 wrote:OK, I'm getting a wee bit nervous about the warm temps predicted!

Hopefully they have their supplies together!! Last year was 5 degrees cooler - I started to slow in the last 4K after consecutive late water stations were out of water. But I wasn't back-of-pack, I was in the front 350 runners. :shock:
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 am

purdy65 wrote:
christine84 wrote:First time running this particular half. How organized is the start? Just wondering how early I should be getting to my corral. The Scotia half last year was a bit of a mess at the start and it took ages to get into the corral. thx!

You will find it MUCH smaller than Scotia. No worries - maybe 10 minutes prior. Good Luck!

Agreed! But these girls, with signs marking corral edges, were interesting last year - for the marathon, they were standing together...on the course side of the timing mats!

So the fenceless corral was one big mess. Even the bunnies couldn't save it - the 3:15:00 pace bunny and the 3:40:00 bunny both thought the same spot was the appropriate place to stage their groups. While the girls with the signs stood together at the 50 metre mark of the race chatting and texting...

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri May 03, 2013 11:44 am

purdy65 wrote:

Agreed! But these girls, with signs marking corral edges, were interesting last year - for the marathon, they were standing together...on the course side of the timing mats!

So the fenceless corral was one big mess. Even the bunnies couldn't save it - the 3:15:00 pace bunny and the 3:40:00 bunny both thought the same spot was the appropriate place to stage their groups. While the girls with the signs stood together at the 50 metre mark of the race chatting and texting...

I assume those are half marathon times? :)

jono

jono
Visit my blog!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
purdy65 wrote:

I assume those are half marathon times? :)

Yes, one hour later for the half marathon start (and this picture) it looks like they may have moved to the runner's side of the timing mats. But there do seem to be a lot of runners already gathered. These runners may be looking to get into a corral. But all corrals appear to be two feet wide and out-of-sequence with edges marked by signs that are in front of a camera that does not appear to be near the start line.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Pretty typical for High School volunteers. They need lots of supervision/direction.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

sarah19

Postby sarah19 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:26 pm

There are no corrals for Goodlife you kind of just stand behind or near the pace bunnies of the time you think you migh finish in.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm

sarah19 wrote:There are no corrals for Goodlife you kind of just stand behind or near the pace bunnies of the time you think you migh finish in.

Very much a chicken or egg thing. If the folks with the corral signs stand with the runners, there are corrals.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat May 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Good luck to all Maniacs running Goodlife tomorrow.

Have a great race people!! :dance: :dance:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Good luck folks - happy running.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Code: Select all

Since the beginning of time man has yearned to destroy the sun.  I will do the next best thing...block it out!
-- Mr. Burns (The Simpsons)

^^^ Strange things go through your mind at the end of a marathon... that was what I was thinking, as that glowing orb baked me to a crisp! :)

Things went pretty OK, finished in 3:39 and change, not quite as fast as I'd hoped (3:35) but all in all pretty satisfying (a new PB by ~5 mins). Learned that I'll never get that last 10km right (does anyone ever??) - I was more prepared than ever, still struggled.

I also learned that the Toronto Marathon organizers don't know how to place kilometer markers. Many of them were off - by large margins. Big city marathons shouldn't make mistakes like that IMO. But I still love the course and will probably be back... although the half is starting to look more appealing, this marathon stuff is overrated! ;)

jono
Visit my blog!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 05, 2013 3:10 pm

The corral and water issue I whined about were fixed for this year, sorry to whine.

Good event. My Boston shirt attracted reporters pre-race. That is me on the CP24 news loop. Also did CTV and Chinese Newswire TV interviews, not sure if they made the cut.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Good event. My Boston shirt attracted reporters pre-race. That is me on the CP24 news loop. Also did CTV and Chinese Newswire TV interviews, not sure if they made the cut.

One interview:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/video?binId= ... pId=919797

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:Good event. My Boston shirt attracted reporters pre-race. That is me on the CP24 news loop. Also did CTV and Chinese Newswire TV interviews, not sure if they made the cut.

One interview:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/video?binId= ... pId=919797

Well done Dave!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Does anyone want a shirt? Cupcake Girl has a new Women's Medium that was too big.

$26 delivered. PM if interested.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun May 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Just saw on cp24 that an 18-year-old girl died near the full marathon finish.

:(

Edit: add link
http://www.cp24.com/news/teen-girl-dies ... -1.1268130

It was pretty hot when I finished, must have been tougher still for those still on course. No detail yet about the nature of her condition, other than it was" medical".

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “General Running Discussion”