So What You're a Slow Runner!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: So What You're a Slow Runner!

Postby Dr. S » Tue May 07, 2013 9:13 am

I finished last at the Mont-Tremblant half and I took it very hard. And swore I would never run that particular race again... I also finished in the last 5 people at my 2nd marathon, another hard pill to swallow!

shannybear13 wrote:Last to me is those who didn't start or try. I try and remind myself that most times when I am finishing would have been a time in years past that I would still be in bed.

I have to try to have a more positive attitude about it and I like the way you're putting it Shannybear!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

shannybear13
Johnny Miles

Postby shannybear13 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks S. Running is teaching me a lot about myself. I am working really hard on accepting me, as I am in this moment, and also accepting my goals and the path that leads me to success. I am far too competitive sometimes and when I don't finish in the time that I want to I used to be really hard on myself. Running is teaching me to let that go and live and appreciate the moment. Running is a gift...
2012 events:
Dublin Dash 5k - 28:04 (pb), Rock CF Half Marathon - 2:33, McFarlan Downtown 5k - 31:11, Martian Marathon (half marathon) - 2:30:44, Run for Retina 10k - 1:08 | Toronto Younge St 10k 1:03:06| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon 2:32:39| Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon 2:41:41 | Midsummer Night Run (London, ON) 33:35:85 |Oasis Zoo Run 1:08:54.6| Island Girl Half Marathon 2:38:49.5 |Scotiabank waterfront HALF marathon 2:41:xx| Detroit Marathon (FIRST FULL) 5:59:XX| Yonge St 10k 1:06:05| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon| Sportinglife 10k| Philidelphia Marahton (full)|

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 am

I finished 'way last in a 10k race last year, but it was a PB for me, so I didn't care. Everyone at the finish line was cheering only for me as I came in! I had nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed about: I had followed my pre-race plan and ran well. I felt triumphant!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

That is a great article!

I was out for a run yesterday, and I saw this group of guys run past me that were quite clearly much better runners than I am, but I had just read this article before heading out, and thought it might be possible that we might have the same great sense of achievement after our respective runs. It might also be possible that I feel a greater sense of achievement after completing my 6k run at 6:40/km than they would after finishing a 10k in 45 mins because that could be a poor run by their standards. This is what I love about running!

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

runfbrun wrote:That is a great article!

I was out for a run yesterday, and I saw this group of guys run past me that were quite clearly much better runners than I am, but I had just read this article before heading out, and thought it might be possible that we might have the same great sense of achievement after our respective runs. It might also be possible that I feel a greater sense of achievement after completing my 6k run at 6:40/km than they would after finishing a 10k in 45 mins because that could be a poor run by their standards. This is what I love about running!

I agree, which is also why I wouldn't refer to them as "better runners" but as "faster runners". :wink:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue May 07, 2013 4:58 pm

runfbrun wrote:I was out for a run yesterday
Glad to hear it, welcome back to RM!

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Tue May 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks, Joe.

Started getting out there again in January (of all months!). Up to about 25-30k/week now for the last 3 weeks.

It is good to be back.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm

shannybear13 wrote:Thanks S. Running is teaching me a lot about myself. I am working really hard on accepting me, as I am in this moment, and also accepting my goals and the path that leads me to success. I am far too competitive sometimes and when I don't finish in the time that I want to I used to be really hard on myself. Running is teaching me to let that go and live and appreciate the moment. Running is a gift...

Love this!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 pm

AjaxRunner wrote:
runfbrun wrote:That is a great article!

I agree, which is also why I wouldn't refer to them as "better runners" but as "faster runners". :wink:

Exactly.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

kat00_ca
Percy Williams

Postby kat00_ca » Thu May 09, 2013 9:39 am

As a former varsity runner who took a long hiatus from running and am getting back into it again, I have really appreciated the running now, no matter my speed. I now find myself really supporting the slower runners now as I tell them that they're faster than those who sit on the couch! It's also a joy running with them now as I get to see that satisfaction on their faces that makes me remember why I used to love to run!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013 Races:
Victoria Day - Watford-Alvinston Race 8K - 58.52min (first road race in 2 years but heat killed me at 5k mark, was just happy to finished the race in under an hour!)
June 2nd - Lots for Tots Stinky Toes 5k (first race for the city) - Témiscaming, QC - 31.38min (chip), 31.52 (gun); first 5k in 3 years!

July 1st - Canada Day Run 5k - North Bay, ON
Sept 21st - Great Northern Adventure Race - North Bay, ON
Jan 1, 2014 - Resolution Run 8k - Sarnia, ON

Return to “General Running Discussion”