Run the Frugal Goofy!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Run the Frugal Goofy!

Postby MikeM » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 am

A few people showed interest in my training journal so I thought this challenge might be of even wider interest.

One of my plans for this year is to run what I'm calling the "Frugal Goofy". For me that means run to work one day (conveniently 21km) and run the round trip before and after work the next day (42km). I still need to train so I'll be doing it some time in September.

I invite everyone to try their own Frugal Goofy. It will be a "wave start" in that you start any day and time that you like. The distance is also flexible; just choose distances that will challenge you, whether that means 5/10k, 10/21k, or 50/100k for the ultra folks. If it can be part of a run commute, that's great, but it doesn't have to be.

I look forward to hearing about everyone's Frugal Goofy adventures.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Run the Frugal Goofy!

Postby Irongirl » Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 am

My first reaction is that your 42km day is quite different than a regular 42km - since it's a split run - which can sometimes be easier, sometimes harder! :)

good luck!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am

I'll have to be doing this, anyway, since I am running the Toad 50K at the beginning of October and the Dopey in January. I just have to figure out the timing of when I'll do this. I might even do my own version of a Frugal Dopey! ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 am

I like your frugal goofy! Great idea.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the challenge, Mike! I will figure out distance and timing, and come back with a more concrete plan got myself :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Run the Frugal Goofy!

Postby Jwolf » Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 am

I'd like to be able to join in with this, but I will see now the training goes over the next few months to see what distances I can manage.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Sat May 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Great idea! I'm sure I can work in the 10/21 version sometime in the next couple of months as I start working towards my first full in Oct.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am

Irongirl wrote:My first reaction is that your 42km day is quite different than a regular 42km - since it's a split run - which can sometimes be easier, sometimes harder! :)

good luck!

I know that I usually can't imagine running home after a run in, but I'm hoping that changes as I get into better shape. I park halfway and do 2 x 12 sometimes so I should be able to get the rest of the way there.

La, I've definitely considered making it a Frugal Dopey too but we'll see. :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 am

MikeM wrote:I know that I usually can't imagine running home after a run in, but I'm hoping that changes as I get into better shape. I park halfway and do 2 x 12 sometimes so I should be able to get the rest of the way there.

Sometimes it's just about overcoming the mental aspect. It's scary to think about, but once you're out there, it will be fine.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 am

I'm a strong maybe. I'm going back to school in Sept, so won't have as much free time (my run would be about 19k each way). We'll see how the summer goes.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 am

La wrote:
MikeM wrote:I know that I usually can't imagine running home after a run in, but I'm hoping that changes as I get into better shape. I park halfway and do 2 x 12 sometimes so I should be able to get the rest of the way there.

Sometimes it's just about overcoming the mental aspect. It's scary to think about, but once you're out there, it will be fine.

Oh I know I CAN do it. Absolutely I just need to get to the point where after a run in I will still WANT to do it. :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 am

I'm mapping out a route that will give me 21K to work (I only live 5K from work, so I have to add on quite a bit of distance). Since I don't like tacking on extra at the end of a run, I'll likely add it onto the beginning (i.e., running in the opposite direction for 8K, turning around, then running running 13K to the office).

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 am

La wrote:I'm mapping out a route that will give me 21K to work (I only live 5K from work, so I have to add on quite a bit of distance). Since I don't like tacking on extra at the end of a run, I'll likely add it onto the beginning (i.e., running in the opposite direction for 8K, turning around, then running running 13K to the office).

I'm doing that this Friday -- I need to get in 23k but only live 19k from work. Would much rather do it at the start! Adding 16k sounds like a bit more of a challenge :D

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm

I could be inspired to try this out.

Since it's not exclusive to 21.1/42.2, I know for certain a 10/21.1 is very do-able. What I need to do is decide if I am going to run a full in late September or not. (and I’m leaning towards yes :wink: )
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 pm

jes wrote:
La wrote:I'm mapping out a route that will give me 21K to work (I only live 5K from work, so I have to add on quite a bit of distance). Since I don't like tacking on extra at the end of a run, I'll likely add it onto the beginning (i.e., running in the opposite direction for 8K, turning around, then running running 13K to the office).

I'm doing that this Friday -- I need to get in 23k but only live 19k from work. Would much rather do it at the start! Adding 16k sounds like a bit more of a challenge :D

I used just do a regular run around my neighbourhood, swing by my house to grab my backpack and then run directly to work.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 07, 2013 2:03 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

I used just do a regular run around my neighbourhood, swing by my house to grab my backpack and then run directly to work.

I'll bring everything in the day before. 19k would be too long with a backpack for me!! But yeah, I'll do a neighbourhood tour first, then head out.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 pm

jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

I'll bring everything in the day before. 19k would be too long with a backpack for me!! But yeah, I'll do a neighbourhood tour first, then head out.

Both of those are good ideas. Since it's only 4-5K from home to the office (depending on which route I run), it would make sense to only pick the backpack up for the final stretch. Though bringing it in a day ahead might also be an option. Must figure out logistics... :think:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm

La wrote:
jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

Both of those are good ideas. Since it's only 4-5K from home to the office (depending on which route I run), it would make sense to only pick the backpack up for the final stretch. Though bringing it in a day ahead might also be an option. Must figure out logistics... :think:

The biggest issue for me will be food. On a regular day, I take up a good chunk of my office fridge with my massive lunch (plus many snacks). I'd hate to see how much space I'll need on Frugal Goofy day(s)!

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Tue May 07, 2013 2:28 pm

La wrote:
jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

I bring my clothes and lunch the day before too. I forgot to bring my stuff last week and lugging the backpack didn't make for a great run - and that was only bringing clothes, a towel, and a few snacks. I always leave an extra pair of shoes here and I just bought lunch that day.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

jes wrote:
La wrote:
jes wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
jes wrote:

The biggest issue for me will be food. On a regular day, I take up a good chunk of my office fridge with my massive lunch (plus many snacks). I'd hate to see how much space I'll need on Frugal Goofy day(s)!

:lol: :lol: I hadn't thought of that yet! Maybe I'll just get up really early and run 42k in the morning so that I can just order a pizza for lunch.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 07, 2013 2:37 pm

I might have to ask my gym for special permission to leave a bag locked up overnight (they "say" they cut locks off overnight, but usually they post a warning note on the locker before they actually do that). The gym is two blocks from my office (we don't have showers here). We do have a big fridge, though. :) However, I could make a case to buy my lunch those days.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 07, 2013 2:41 pm

I think I will do mine the week after Labour Day (Thurs, Sep 5 and Friday, Sep 6). That's one week before my final long run prior to my taper for the Toad.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm

La wrote:I think I will do mine the week after Labour Day (Thurs, Sep 5 and Friday, Sep 6). That's one week before my final long run prior to my taper for the Toad.

I think I start classes that week, so depending on what days they are, I'll either do it then as well, or the week before, although it'll still be pretty warm then. I haven't looked (or thought) about my fall schedule yet!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 pm

You know, you can buy running medals for about $2 each. Perfect for Frugal Finishers.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Spirit wrote:You know, you can buy running medals for about $2 each. Perfect for Frugal Finishers.

Cool, I didn't even think of that. Maybe I'll get DD to make homemade medals like IB and IG did for Jog the Bog a few years ago. :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”