Sporting Life 10 KM

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sporting Life 10 KM

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 15, 2013 9:43 am

jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Also- you can't really blame pedestrians for crossing over where the road is open to the public.

You can, however, blame the ones who put their heads down and didn't look where they were going!!! Those collisions were entirely avoidable.

jono

I was talking specifically about the finish area...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 am

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Also- you can't really blame pedestrians for crossing over where the road is open to the public.

You can, however, blame the ones who put their heads down and didn't look where they were going!!! Those collisions were entirely avoidable.

jono

I was talking specifically about the finish area...

Ah ok. In general I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want to cross the street in a major city. Just pick the right time, keep your head up, go slow, shouldn't be a problem...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Bradsgrl wrote:I PB'd yesterday as well (54:27 Chip) and it was my 4th time running the race. It will most likely be my last as well. Although I love the route having 27,000 runners all cram into the smallest finish line chute ever was insane. I was stopped in front of the finish line mats and did yell at runners to "MOVE FOREWARD>>>WE CANNOT CROSS THE FINISH" I also saw lots of runners WAITING for friends etc just past the finish line. Why were the marshalls not ushering these people out of there ?
I couldn't find water after the race and grabbed a banana and left. I was cold, thirsty and tires (4:45am wake-up to get me to this race)

Were you in the blue or the red corral? I was within a minute or so of you, and normally I'd say the bulk of runners would probably finish around this time. I had zero issues with the finish, BUT I told a teeny white lie at kit pickup and got myself into the red corral (sub 50) so I could start at 8. It seems as if the subsequent waves were where the problem might have occurred (read: I'm glad I started at 8!). Considering they have all these waves, they really should account for that next year by expanding/changing the finish area. I wonder if having people somehow funnelled into the CNE parking lot area down Fleet St/Canada St and through the Princes' Gates might have worked better? They would've had to close Fleet and the bottom of Strachan but then people wouldn't have to cross Lakeshore. That creates a pretty much guaranteed bottleneck- it's a very busy street. It's probably a ridiculous amount of money to close each street, though.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu May 16, 2013 8:48 am

Mr. Glassman's response, quite frankly, is a disgrace.

I don't think Mr. Goshdashtidar is at fault at all.

I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Bradsgrl
Percy Williams

Postby Bradsgrl » Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am

QuickChick wrote:
Bradsgrl wrote:I PB'd yesterday as well (54:27 Chip) and it was my 4th time running the race. It will most likely be my last as well. Although I love the route having 27,000 runners all cram into the smallest finish line chute ever was insane. I was stopped in front of the finish line mats and did yell at runners to "MOVE FOREWARD>>>WE CANNOT CROSS THE FINISH" I also saw lots of runners WAITING for friends etc just past the finish line. Why were the marshalls not ushering these people out of there ?
I couldn't find water after the race and grabbed a banana and left. I was cold, thirsty and tires (4:45am wake-up to get me to this race)

Were you in the blue or the red corral? I was within a minute or so of you, and normally I'd say the bulk of runners would probably finish around this time. I had zero issues with the finish, BUT I told a teeny white lie at kit pickup and got myself into the red corral (sub 50) so I could start at 8. It seems as if the subsequent waves were where the problem might have occurred (read: I'm glad I started at 8!). Considering they have all these waves, they really should account for that next year by expanding/changing the finish area. I wonder if having people somehow funnelled into the CNE parking lot area down Fleet St/Canada St and through the Princes' Gates might have worked better? They would've had to close Fleet and the bottom of Strachan but then people wouldn't have to cross Lakeshore. That creates a pretty much guaranteed bottleneck- it's a very busy street. It's probably a ridiculous amount of money to close each street, though.

I was in the Blue Corral...it got really bad a few minutes after me I heard.
Coming up:

05/12/13 - Sporting Life 10K
05/26/13 - Toronto Womens 1/2 Marathon
06/22/13 - Colour me Rad 5k
September - Half Marathon??? Still deciding...

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu May 16, 2013 9:53 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Mr. Glassman's response, quite frankly, is a disgrace.

I don't think Mr. Goshdashtidar is at fault at all.

That picture makes me look fat.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 pm

jonovision_man wrote:You can, however, blame the ones who put their heads down and didn't look where they were going!!!

Absolutely. These folks remind me of the drivers we all see who barely have room to turn left in front of you...so they wait...and then turn too late...and do it at 5 kph instead of flooring it. Everytime I figure they have their eyes closed like these pedestrians...as I slam on my brakes.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “General Running Discussion”