Race day Sunday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Re: Race day Sunday

Postby Ken B » Sun May 26, 2013 4:16 pm

ratherawkward wrote:New half PR of 2:10:53 for me today - race report to follow!

Congratulations!!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun May 26, 2013 4:18 pm

purdy65 wrote:More fun than one should have running 21.1k. :D

My debut as a pace bunny was a fantastic experience! This 2:15 pacer finished in 2:14:48 with dead even splits ! I felt like a rock star all weekend! A detailed report will follow.

Wow!! Great pacing! Congratulations!! :)

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun May 26, 2013 4:19 pm

NMG wrote:Well, I finished up my first half here in Ottawa in 2:20:47. My goal was 2:25 so I'm quite happy with what I accomplished. As my training was nearing its end I was thinking I could break 2:20 and while I was very close, it just wasn't meant to be today. I don't feel like I really left anything out on the course and both my calves were in full on cramp mode after finishing so I think my time was as good as I was capable of today.

The weather was absolutely perfect for running, the course was great, the spectators were awesome and the other runners just kept me motivated throughout the whole race. It was just an awesome experience all around and I'm glad I decided to sign up this year and run it.

Congratulations!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun May 26, 2013 5:16 pm

lots of great races today!! congrats to all the pbs, new distances, and other assorted awesomeness. :)

I took a small group up Lynn Peak today (mostly first-timers, which is my favourite!). That plus run to/from the headwaters was roughly 13km.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Great day for me too. I've paced a couple of 1/2s before, but this was my first time pacing a full marathon. I felt a bit more pressure as I didn't want to let anyone down who was going for a BQ. It went great- had a big group of people who were with me up until about 38K, then some started to take off, and a couple dropped off a bit, but I picked up a bunch more who had gone out faster and were starting to fade. Ended up with an official time of 3:34:45- 15 seconds ahead of my target! It was a lot of fun- being a pace bunny in a big marathon like that is as close as I'll ever get to being a celebrity.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

tinyterror
Johnny Miles

Postby tinyterror » Sun May 26, 2013 7:02 pm

1:55:35 for me at the Ottawa half! I would be disappointed if I'd actually trained properly as this is 6 minutes off my time last year, but it's about expected. Great conditions for a race, and I was relieved to be feeling good today. Yesterday wandering around Ottawa I was actually not feeling well so was getting a bit worried. Congrats to everyone, looks like some great times!
Whatever doesn't kill you...will still probably hurt like a son of a b*#ch!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Congrats to the pace bunnies and everyone with their great races!

I did the Abby marathon today in 3:25:07 with a 33 sec neg. split. Haven't run a marathon this evenly since my first so was happy about that. I was hoping for a sub 3:25 to get under the BQ standards but it wasn't to be. I messed up my Garmin during the race so I sort of had an idea what my time was after I crossed the finish line which I figured was a few seconds over 3:25. The time in sportstats was listed as 3:24:46 soon after the race but 6 hours later it changed again (3rd time). Just making it under the cut likely wouldn't be enough to get to Boston so maybe I'll try again some other time.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Race day Sunday

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 26, 2013 7:09 pm

RobW wrote:Congrats to the pace bunnies and everyone with their great races!

I did the Abby marathon today in 3:25:07 with a 33 sec neg. split. Haven't run a marathon this evenly since my first so was happy about that. I was hoping for a sub 3:25 to get under the BQ standards but it wasn't to be. I messed up my Garmin during the race so I sort of had an idea what my time was after I crossed the finish line which I figured was a few seconds over 3:25. The time in sportstats was listed as 3:24:46 soon after the race but 6 hours later it changed again (3rd time). Just making it under the cut likely wouldn't be enough to get to Boston so maybe I'll try again some other time.

Awesome result Rob! I am so happy for you. :) That sucks about the Sportstats mess-ups and leading you on like that :evil: but I know this won't be your fastest time. You're a strong racer and you'll do it again (with some BQ cushion!). You have progressed so much as a runner and its been awesome to watch. Congratulations again. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Some great race results and bunny-ing today!

8k for me this afternoon.
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Great race results today spread over a few races.

10k around the lake in beautiful weather.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun May 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Lots of fun reading about race day for so many people! 6k for me in the sun.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 pm

purdy65 wrote:More fun than one should have running 21.1k. :D

My debut as a pace bunny was a fantastic experience! This 2:15 pacer finished in 2:14:48 with dead even splits ! I felt like a rock star all weekend! A detailed report will follow.

You should feel like a rock star and well deserved. I followed the 1:55 pace bunny for the half until the marathon course went its separate way at the 10 K but that guy had such an even pace I ended up running the first half in 1:55:21. The one thing I could not get this training was an even pacing and so that bunny made my race as I am sure you made the race of several runners. So pat on the back.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:00 am

Beautiful weather for running the Calgary Marathon. I think my unoffical time was 4.02:28 but I waiting for the results.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 am

barebuns1 wrote:Beautiful weather for running the Calgary Marathon. I think my unoffical time was 4.02:28 but I waiting for the results.

Congratulations!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 am

barebuns1 wrote:Beautiful weather for running the Calgary Marathon. I think my unoffical time was 4.02:28 but I waiting for the results.

Excellent, especially after just doing a marathon last Sunday.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 27, 2013 7:24 am

erinmcd wrote:Great day for me too. I've paced a couple of 1/2s before, but this was my first time pacing a full marathon. I felt a bit more pressure as I didn't want to let anyone down who was going for a BQ. It went great- had a big group of people who were with me up until about 38K, then some started to take off, and a couple dropped off a bit, but I picked up a bunch more who had gone out faster and were starting to fade. Ended up with an official time of 3:34:45- 15 seconds ahead of my target! It was a lot of fun- being a pace bunny in a big marathon like that is as close as I'll ever get to being a celebrity.

Great job and thanks!

I stuck just behind your group for 29km but then I started to fade. The ups and downs of Rockliffe proved too much for my knees and ankles and I had to slow down.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

KenJ
Percy Williams

Postby KenJ » Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 pm

I completed my first ever marathon in Ottawa this past weekend. What a great race, good weather, varied course and fantastic crowd support. Had a good strong even pace up to about 33 km when the leg fatigue started to intensify and slowed a bit through Rockcliffe but still managed a good strong finish. Going in I was aiming for a sub 4 hour finish and was pleased to cross the line at 3:53:56 leaving nothing on the course.

Since this was my first marathon I guess that is my new PB :D

Congratulations to all who raced this past weekend :)

Ken

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 28, 2013 5:40 am

KenJ wrote:I completed my first ever marathon in Ottawa this past weekend. What a great race, good weather, varied course and fantastic crowd support. Had a good strong even pace up to about 33 km when the leg fatigue started to intensify and slowed a bit through Rockcliffe but still managed a good strong finish. Going in I was aiming for a sub 4 hour finish and was pleased to cross the line at 3:53:56 leaving nothing on the course.

Since this was my first marathon I guess that is my new PB :D

Congratulations to all who raced this past weekend :)

Ken

Congratulations! Great time!

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am

KenJ wrote:Since this was my first marathon I guess that is my new PB :D
Well-done, congratulations marathoner!

jemez
Johnny Miles

Postby jemez » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am

Dstew wrote:You should feel like a rock star and well deserved. I followed the 1:55 pace bunny for the half until the marathon course went its separate way at the 10 K but that guy had such an even pace I ended up running the first half in 1:55:21. The one thing I could not get this training was an even pacing and so that bunny made my race as I am sure you made the race of several runners. So pat on the back.

As the 1:55 pace bunny, this comment made my day!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 am

jemez wrote:
Dstew wrote:You should feel like a rock star and well deserved. I followed the 1:55 pace bunny for the half until the marathon course went its separate way at the 10 K but that guy had such an even pace I ended up running the first half in 1:55:21. The one thing I could not get this training was an even pacing and so that bunny made my race as I am sure you made the race of several runners. So pat on the back.

As the 1:55 pace bunny, this comment made my day!

awesome. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”