Midsummer Night's Run moves to Toronto Islands

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Midsummer Night's Run moves to Toronto Islands

Postby ratherawkward » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Interesting... apparently due to the construction around the Leslie St/Cherry St areas, the Midsummer Night's Run is moving to the island for "at least the 2013 race year". I've never done this event before, but I have to say, apart from crowding on the ferries, this seems like a potential plus for me. (I'd already signed up for the 30k, back when they had their super-early-bird discount).
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Re: Midsummer Night's Run moves to Toronto Islands

Postby O Z D » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:05 pm

There are a few races on the Island every year, so they can obviously handle it, but I am not sure if it is for me.
Part of the draw of Midsummers was proximity to my place. TTC to the Ferry, the Ferry, waiting for the Ferry to get home...not sure I feel like all that hassle after I've run.

I did the 15k Mid last year and loved it in large part due to the course. Not sure I am looking forward to doing a 3 loops of a 5k course.
It was a very fun race last year, but I will hold out until I see the actual route..

Bradsgrl
Percy Williams

Postby Bradsgrl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:40 am

I am getting a refund because of the route. For me running 30k is a huge mental hurdle...so doing 3 loops around the island will serious make me go crazy!
The whole ferry situation will suck also...
Coming up:

05/12/13 - Sporting Life 10K
05/26/13 - Toronto Womens 1/2 Marathon
06/22/13 - Colour me Rad 5k
September - Half Marathon??? Still deciding...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:57 am

I'm torn about this one, too. I've done 10K on the island, but I don't know about 30K. And at that time of day the logistics of getting to/from the island will be a PITA. McLeary Park is only 1K from my house, so that was perfect for me in the past.

And yes, there is a LOT of construction going on near Queen/Leslie/Commissioners/Lakeshore that is going to make my life miserable until at least the end of 2014. :?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 am

Hmmmmm .. wast toying in returning back to the Midsummer Night's Run this summer ... hmmm ... Would the Novotel host hotel incl shuttle bus to and from, still be more convenient to stay at and/or any suggested hotel closer to the race site be recomended ?? :what: :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 am

Andy. I'd say the Westin is the most convenient.

I have done a couple of races on the island, and it's great! I agree though, 3 loops might drive me 'loopy'.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 am

purdy65 wrote:Andy. I'd say the Westin is the most convenient.

I have done a couple of races on the island, and it's great! I agree though, 3 loops might drive me 'loopy'.

Thanks Lisa ...

To clarify the original question ... also, has to be reasonably priced ... I guess I should google where the heck Toronto Island is now, eh !!! :shifty: :shifty: Greyhound ?? VIA Rail or just suck it up and drive from Ottawa ?? :shifty:

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 am

La wrote:And at that time of day the logistics of getting to/from the island will be a PITA.

No kidding. I'm not a huge fan of this race to begin with, and the extra hassle makes it even more unlikely that it will make it on to my calendar. I wish there was a 30 km race in early September.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 am

HCcD wrote:

Thanks Lisa ...

To clarify the original question ... also, has to be reasonably priced ... I guess I should google where the heck Toronto Island is now, eh !!! :shifty: :shifty: Greyhound ?? VIA Rail or just suck it up and drive from Ottawa ?? :shifty:

You can walk to the ferry dock from that Novotel on The Esplanade (it's less than 1K). The ferry dock is at the foot of Bay St. (at Queen's Quay).

There are some good deals available on Via right now (~$100), and on Porter (~$250).

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 am

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:

Thanks Lisa ...

You can walk to the ferry dock from that Novotel on The Esplanade (it's less than 1K). The ferry dock is at the foot of Bay St. (at Queen's Quay).

There are some good deals available on Via right now (~$100), and on Porter (~$250).

Thanks La, I have no idea where everything is in Toronto .... Guess, the Novotel is still a good choice then ....

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:33 am

The Westin (Harbour Castle) is for sure closer (right beside the ferry docks) but will be more expensive than the Novotel. You can walk from Union Station (ViaRail) to either hotel. And the Porter shuttle (free) drops you off at the Royal York, which is across the street from Union, so that's walkable, too.

IMO, the walkable distance (1K radius) to the ferry docks will be anything south of King St., Jarvis to the east and John St. to the west. There are lots of hotel options within that boundary.

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 am

I don't love the looping but, I love running on the island! It's logistically easier for me to get to as well........ 3 loops! Here we go! :dance:

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am

HCcD wrote:Hmmmmm .. wast toying in returning back to the Midsummer Night's Run this summer ... hmmm ... Would the Novotel host hotel incl shuttle bus to and from, still be more convenient to stay at and/or any suggested hotel closer to the race site be recomended ?? :what: :what:

The Westin is way too expensive. If you want something closer and a bit cheaper go for the Radisson Hotel located on Queens Quay & Simcoe. It's about 2 blocks or so from the ferry docks at Qieens Quay & Bay. Also Radisson is the closest hotel from Porter Airport which is walkable.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
La wrote:And at that time of day the logistics of getting to/from the island will be a PITA.

No kidding. I'm not a huge fan of this race to begin with, and the extra hassle makes it even more unlikely that it will make it on to my calendar. I wish there was a 30 km race in early September.

Me too....

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Lol... I can't believe they have found a way to make "the worst race in the world" even worse...

I'm surprised people even still pay for this too. Let it die. They don't take responsibility for putting on the worst event. They poison runners, give out the same medals every year, have terrible logistics, don't respond to emails, charge for beer... Seriously I regret I once loved this race.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for all the positive, err negative feedback /vibes about this race and new location, I will probably skip it this year .. just realized that the Cornwall Triathlon/Duathlon is the following weekend and I am already registered and planning to spend the weekend down there, as a result ....

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 am

fingerboy wrote:Lol... I can't believe they have found a way to make "the worst race in the world" even worse...

I'm surprised people even still pay for this too. Let it die. They don't take responsibility for putting on the worst event. They poison runners, give out the same medals every year, have terrible logistics, don't respond to emails, charge for beer... Seriously I regret I once loved this race.

c'mon fingboy, tell us how you really feel about this race ... no holding back, 'k !!! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 am

fingerboy wrote:Lol... I can't believe they have found a way to make "the worst race in the world" even worse...

Don't hold back - let it all out ! :wink:
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 am

fingerboy wrote:They poison runners...

Thought that I'd kept up with the threads on this race, but somehow I missed this. Food poisoning from the on-course Gatorade or something? Ugh.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:

Thought that I'd kept up with the threads on this race, but somehow I missed this. Food poisoning from the on-course Gatorade or something? Ugh.

I heard people got sick from the water last year.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

fingerboy wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

I believe the evidence is on the Rob Ford video.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 am

fingerboy wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

You heard that people got sick. "They poison runners" does not seem like much of a stretch then... :roll:

I ran last year, drank quite a bit of water (It was a very hot evening) and did not get sick. Luckily I have spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 am

Bradsgrl wrote:I am getting a refund because of the route. For me running 30k is a huge mental hurdle...so doing 3 loops around the island will serious make me go crazy!
The whole ferry situation will suck also...

How did you get a refund? I was never informed of this change although I registered in April. This is the first I have heard about the change. I went online on there website but there was no information regarding refunds.

Thanks,

Ken

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am

I have never done this run but I was under the impression that it was one of the more popular runs. Most reviews in past years have been mostly positive.

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

O Z D wrote:
fingerboy wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

You heard that people got sick. "They poison runners" does not seem like much of a stretch then... :roll:

I ran last year, drank quite a bit of water (It was a very hot evening) and did not get sick. Luckily I have spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

INCONCEIVABLE !!!! :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Return to “General Running Discussion”