Back pain after run? Maybe you're pregnant.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 am

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Back pain after run? Maybe you're pregnant.

Postby HCcD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 am

Sounds vaguely familar to what happened to Anakin Skywalker's mother ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 am

I wonder how much she weighed to not notice she was pregnant!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:01 am

Stuff like this absolutely baffles me....especially for someone who's had 3 other kids.

As a woman, I am highly in-tune with my body and I notice when my period goes missing for 9 days, let alone 9 months!!

My husband has also had a vasectomy, but that doesn't mean I haven't had some scares. I know far too many people who's hubbies were "snipped" only to have a baby 10-11 years after the procedure was done.

Hell, *I* was a surprise pregnancy for my parents, born 10 years after my mother was told by doctors that due to their error she'd never have kids again.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:21 am

CAW wrote: I know far too many people who's hubbies were "snipped" only to have a baby 10-11 years after the procedure was done.

Ah yes, the magic vasectomy reversal.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:28 am

turd ferguson wrote:
CAW wrote: I know far too many people who's hubbies were "snipped" only to have a baby 10-11 years after the procedure was done.

How common is this really? Supposedly 1-2 per 1000?

It always makes me wonder...

um, yes, magic. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

Here is mom and baby on video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... ostpopular

It's hard to tell if she's overweight or not from the picture. The baby is adorable. :)

And... she's still planning on running Grandma's Half-marathon in two weeks????

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I don't know the odds...perhaps the odds are higher that I'd get to know both of the 1-2 per 1000?

I can't count my dad, because he had his vasectomy after my Mum found out she was pregnant for me. It was Mum that was supposed to have a broken baby-maker due to complications from a previous surgery when my brother was 6 months old.

Scotty's former Commanding Officer had a magic vasectomy reversal - 10 years after the fact, as did an Infantry Officer that was on several career courses with Scotty (and whose wife I know quite well). In both cases, there is no doubt as to the paternity of the children...given that both are the spitting images of their respective fathers.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:57 pm

CAW wrote:Stuff like this absolutely baffles me....especially for someone who's had 3 other kids.

As a woman, I am highly in-tune with my body and I notice when my period goes missing for 9 days, let alone 9 months!!

My husband has also had a vasectomy, but that doesn't mean I haven't had some scares. I know far too many people who's hubbies were "snipped" only to have a baby 10-11 years after the procedure was done.

Hell, *I* was a surprise pregnancy for my parents, born 10 years after my mother was told by doctors that due to their error she'd never have kids again.

Me too, but also because babies do tend to make themselves "known" while in utero, even menstruation aside, how could you not see/feel the other symptoms?

Crazy.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm

CAW wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

I don't know the odds...perhaps the odds are higher that I'd get to know both of the 1-2 per 1000?

I can't count my dad, because he had his vasectomy after my Mum found out she was pregnant for me. It was Mum that was supposed to have a broken baby-maker due to complications from a previous surgery when my brother was 6 months old.

Scotty's former Commanding Officer had a magic vasectomy reversal - 10 years after the fact, as did an Infantry Officer that was on several career courses with Scotty (and whose wife I know quite well). In both cases, there is no doubt as to the paternity of the children...given that both are the spitting images of their respective fathers.

It was the uncle.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
CAW wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

It was the uncle.

=))

That just made me guffaw wildly!!

"it's Baby Buster!"
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 pm

CAW wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
CAW wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

It was the uncle.

=))

That just made me guffaw wildly!!

"it's Baby Buster!"

I could be dead-ass wrong. But the doctor who did my vasectomy (who runs a vasectomy clinic) told me that he can't count the number of times he's been involved in situations where a husband is irate at him and a wife is all "let's just call it a miracle and leave it alone, m'kay?"

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:24 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I could be dead-ass wrong. But the doctor who did my vasectomy (who runs a vasectomy clinic) told me that he can't count the number of times he's been involved in situations where a husband is irate at him and a wife is all "let's just call it a miracle and leave it alone, m'kay?"

fascinating.

One would think that if a woman was cheating on her vasectomized husband, she'd be more careful about birth control. :roll:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:34 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I could be dead-ass wrong. But the doctor who did my vasectomy (who runs a vasectomy clinic) told me that he can't count the number of times he's been involved in situations where a husband is irate at him and a wife is all "let's just call it a miracle and leave it alone, m'kay?"

fascinating.

One would think that if a woman was cheating on her vasectomized husband, she'd be more careful about birth control. :roll:

A friend of mine who is a biochemist does research into Cystic Fibrosis. She's lost count how many times a baby who's tested positive for CF has a "father" who's not a carrier of the gene!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 pm

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

fascinating.

A friend of mine who is a biochemist does research into Cystic Fibrosis. She's lost count how many times a baby who's tested positive for CF has a "father" who's not a carrier of the gene!

do both parents need to be carriers?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:22 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

fascinating.

do both parents need to be carriers?

Yup.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:02 pm

In the both cases I know, the guys went back for another snip and their drs were quite surprised. As a precaution, both the wives also got their tubes tied. Neither of these couples know each other. But we know both of them.

If the chances of this happening is 1-2/1000 then *someone* has to be the statistic. It is just really weird that Scotty and I know the 1-2/1000.
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Whatever. Regardless of vasectomy or not, I think I'm in tune with my body enough to know when to worry if I might be pregnant or not. I knew with Phia a full two weeks before I peed on a stick. Technically I just had a hunch, but there were enough physiological signs to tell me to buy the preg test after our move to Gagetown was complete. I didn't want the added stress of a confirmed oopsy while in the middle of a move.

I also stand by the *someone* has to be the statistic.

Just like how condoms are a reasonable form of birth control but not infallible. My sister's first child was the result of a broken condom and one missed birth control pill. Sometimes the planets align just right...
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 am

I, too, have one of those "stars aligned" babies.
Perhaps as women get older, they have more aches and pains that can mask the signs of pregnancy. We are usually tired all the time when we're chasing kids, and add in training for a half marathon just to make the body achy and gastro-intestinally challenged. Maybe she thought she was perimenopausal, ergo the loss of menses..?
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 am

DLS wrote:I, too, have one of those "stars aligned" babies.
Perhaps as women get older, they have more aches and pains that can mask the signs of pregnancy. We are usually tired all the time when we're chasing kids, and add in training for a half marathon just to make the body achy and gastro-intestinally challenged. Maybe she thought she was perimenopausal, ergo the loss of menses..?

She's 33....

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:04 am

Jwolf wrote:

She's 33....

Ah. Perhaps not. :shock: :roll:
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am

DLS wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

She's 33....

Though I did hear once that there are as many unplanned/surprise pregnancies in women over 40 as there are in women under 18!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 am

La wrote:
DLS wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

She's 33....

Though I did hear once that there are as many unplanned/surprise pregnancies in women over 40 as there are in women under 18!

That doesn't surprise me- because of period irregularities and women who assume they are "done".

I've talked to several married women in their 40s who had later "surprise" pregnancies and finally I asked one- "Ok I thought I understood the mechanics, but explain to me exactly how this happens- because I really don't want to get pregnant again." She answered sheepishly, "Well, we weren't using birth control." Um, yeah- what were you expecting then? :)

(Not one of these was a magic vasectomy reversal! ;) )

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 am

Yeah, that's pretty wild. I'm not sure how she could not know either! Good for her for having such an easy pregnancy. :lol:

A baby post-vasectomy happened to a friend and there was no messing around. It's a 1:3000 chance of happening according to the Ottawa vasectomy guru.
Carm

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 am

Let me just state for the record that I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that there is no way I would be pregnant if I'm experiencing back pain after a run.

:wink:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Return to “General Running Discussion”