Destination race/training site/volunteer opportunity.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Destination race/training site/volunteer opportunity.

Postby jgore » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 pm

The fellow who established this program was the director of a kids' event we timed today. This looks friggin' interesting and fun. It would be a great destination event, though you can go there to train or to do some volunteer work.

Rift Valley Marathon

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Re: Destination race/training site/volunteer opportunity.

Postby canalrunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 pm

There is also a running camp in Ethopia that was advertised at the Goodlife Marathon expo. All this looks awesome. Wonder if they need pace bunnies? Nothing says running in Africa like a good 10:1 strategy. :D
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 pm

jgore wrote:The fellow who established this program was the director of a kids' event we timed today. This looks friggin' interesting and fun. It would be a great destination event, though you can go there to train or to do some volunteer work.

Rift Valley Marathon

They are looking for 2:05, 2:10, 2:15 and 2:20 marathon pace bunnies.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm

drghfx wrote:
jgore wrote:The fellow who established this program was the director of a kids' event we timed today. This looks friggin' interesting and fun. It would be a great destination event, though you can go there to train or to do some volunteer work.

Rift Valley Marathon

Are they continuous pacers or 10:1? Better be 10:1, otherwise I will spill water and how will I take my gels :D
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Oooo, I may be going over to do the timing for it. (crossed-fingers... and toes... and anything else I can cross)

They only allow 100 'outsiders' to run the marathon, along with a couple of hundred locals. Mind you, there are probably more than a few elite runners in that group of locals.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:38 am

canalrunner wrote:
drghfx wrote:

Rift Valley Marathon

Are they continuous pacers or 10:1? Better be 10:1, otherwise I will spill water and how will I take my gels :D

I wouldn't take walk breaks if I were you. Too risky that you might get eaten by a lion. Keep running, man! And all you have to do is outrun the slowest one in your pace group!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:
drghfx wrote:

Rift Valley Marathon

I wouldn't take walk breaks if I were you. Too risky that you might get eaten by a lion. Keep running, man! And all you have to do is outrun the slowest one in your pace group!

DON'T get yourself in a pace group that's all Kenyans.

Return to “General Running Discussion”