The Wellington Mile

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Geordiem
Percy Williams

The Wellington Mile

Postby Geordiem » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 am

Hey, it's Geordie here from the Ottawa Running Club (AKA the guy who runs in the big shoe costume). I've been wanting to do something like this for years now and finally decided the time was right. Introducing, The Wellington Mile.

The Top 5 Reasons Behind 'The Wellington Mile'
1. A chance for our club to give underprivileged kids in our community an experience of a lifetime.
2. Five km is too long an event to act as an entry point into the running world. 1609m is much more attainable and welcoming.
3. To celebrate the history of what is the running world's classic distance.
4. To challenge all runners to set and achieve goals and break through their own barriers. Can you run a mile in 10 minutes, 9, 8, 7, 6?
5. To be inspired by some of Canada's fastest runners and see them stir the dreams of our youth.
Online registration opens Friday morning at http://www.themile.ca

Also, if you're a parent, you get a free kid's registration (u18) with your entry. Plus, we'll be busing in 200 local kids to do the race for free; kids who don't normally get such opportunities. I hope you can make it!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: The Wellington Mile

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 am

You need to include "beer" with a Miler event, Geordie ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :P :oops:

eta: Plan to be there, at this ... though, will see how the training goes over the coming months, first ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 am

How about a costume division ... Would be so cool ... :shifty:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 am

HCcD wrote:How about a costume division ... Would be so cool ... :shifty:

A costume wave is a great idea!

Geordie- you know we'll be there! I've been recruiting heavily to the FB event!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 am

HCcD wrote:You need to include "beer" with a Miler event, Geordie ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :P :oops:

Beyond the Pale perhaps since they're just down the street? Steve knows the owner quite well. If that fits the vision, I can have him inquire.
Carm

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Geordie would be a shoe-in from the costume class, but he might find it hard to wave.

This is a great idea and deserves support. Although Thanksgiving weekend is tough sell for those of us who usually leave town.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Geordiem
Percy Williams

Postby Geordiem » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for you support, everybody! The Thanksgiving date was chosen for a number of reasons: 1) easier to get the road closure on the main drag, 2) builds on the family theme, 3) end of the elite racing season so a good chance of attracting some fast runners to the elite heat. The costume heat is a great idea. I'm going to wait and see how registration goes and keep this in the back of my mind. It's tricky as we only have time for about 13 heats so how they are divided depends on registration numbers. I'll have lots of exciting announcements coming!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm

I had no idea that you were the big shoe guy!

So...kids have to be 8 - why is that? You had me until I read that.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 am

Irongirl wrote:So...kids have to be 8 - why is that? You had me until I read that.

Same -- I was looking for an event that I could enter my Grandson into for that weekend since I won't be racing anything this year, and this would have been perfect (except that he's 4.5)!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:20 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
Irongirl wrote:So...kids have to be 8 - why is that? You had me until I read that.

Same -- I was looking for an event that I could enter my Grandson into for that weekend since I won't be racing anything this year, and this would have been perfect (except that he's 4.5)!

Umm, just "lie" ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

Geordiem
Percy Williams

Postby Geordiem » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 am

A couple updates:

1. I'm reviewing the age limit. It was originally put in place to accommodate the wave structure but that structure may be shifted away from age waves a new hybrid approach. I really appreciate the feedback on this topic. This race belongs to the community so I want it to work for everyone. Keep the feedback coming.
2. On an equally important note, Rob, from Beyond the Pale, is a friend and neighbour and we've already spoken about some kind of link up. Stay tuned (burp) for more on that :)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks Geordie!

My guess was that the under 8 age limit was because of time restrictions - my 2.5 year old would probably take 20 minutes for a mile, which would be tricky for a wave race. Would be great if you could figure out a way to include those who are younger!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Geordiem
Percy Williams

Postby Geordiem » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 am

Ok, here we go - new age policy :)

Update on Age: We want this to be a family event so we're adjusting our policy regarding age, dropping the former minimum age requirement. Parent and child, regardless of age, will be placed in the same heat. Parents assume all responsibility for their child throughout the run. To make the heat structure of our event work, your child must be able to run the mile in under 15 minutes (9min/km pace).

http://www.themile.ca/#!get_involved/c8k2!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

Geordiem wrote:Ok, here we go - new age policy :)

Update on Age: We want this to be a family event so we're adjusting our policy regarding age, dropping the former minimum age requirement. Parent and child, regardless of age, will be placed in the same heat. Parents assume all responsibility for their child throughout the run. To make the heat structure of our event work, your child must be able to run the mile in under 15 minutes (9min/km pace).

http://www.themile.ca/#!get_involved/c8k2!

Does it have to be a Parent, or a Friend/Relative/Guardian during the event to be with the child ?? :what: :what:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 am

This is a really neat idea. The responses are really interesting- it's almost like it needs to be two races! I'm sure the heat structure will work really well, though, as long as people seed themselves appropriately.

When I say it sounds like two different races, I mean that I think the idea of a mile RACE is super cool- there aren't many around, and it's one of those classic distances that would be great to have on a runner's record. Especially a non-track mile (although one on the track would be cool too, and similarly they aren't widely available). On the other end of the spectrum is the equally valid but completely different feel of a family event where kids can participate.

I'll be really interested to hear how it goes and if it runs again in the future! Good luck!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Geordiem
Percy Williams

Postby Geordiem » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

An update for you:

- The event is 45% full already so we're pretty excited!
- Nutrition expert, Yoni Freedhof, loves The Wellington Mile concept and has provided us with a page of nutritional info aimed for young (and old) runners.
- Lots more great news coming soon!
- The website again is themile.ca

In answer to the most recent questions:

1. Does it have to be a Parent, or a Friend/Relative/Guardian during the event to be with the child ??

I'm going to give this one some thought and look at the legal implications. Thanks.

2. Re "It almost needs to be two races."

The idea of mixing the kids with the adults and especially the elites, is to provide 1) a true family experience and 2) for the kids to be front row and competing in the same event as elites to provide inspiration to them.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Not a great idea to have kids on the front row if you have the option. Every race already has the scenario where kids sprint out and then slow down and clog the course.
The MacPass mile had a situation where the kids were trampling each other in their own separate race.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Geordiem
Percy Williams

Postby Geordiem » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Pat. Safety is certainly number one. With only 60-70 in each heat, and the full width of the road to deal with, we feel there will be ample space for the athletes to find safe running room.

Return to “General Running Discussion”