The Oatmeal on Running

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

The Oatmeal on Running

Postby FishHog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 pm

In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: The Oatmeal on Running

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:51 pm

"that looks like a nice tall glass of nope"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm

turd ferguson wrote:"that looks like a nice tall glass of nope"

He posted on FB yesterday that that Godzilla panel was his favourite of the whole series. :)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:31 pm

This has been going around on Facebook; very funny. I also really like his blog post from a couple weeks ago:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/ultramarathon
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I run to eat too! Mind you, that strategy isn't working out too well for me performance-wise. Happiness-wise on the other hand, it's rockin'!
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:39 am

turd ferguson wrote:"that looks like a nice tall glass of nope"

That was my favourite part!

I love The Oatmeal! I didn't realize he was a runner. Thanks for sharing. It was great!
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 am

I find it eerie how his exaggerated body in part 4 looks a lot like my non-exaggerated body.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

temporun
Johnny Miles

Postby temporun » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

:)

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 pm

daddy_runner wrote:I find it eerie how his exaggerated body in part 4 looks a lot like my non-exaggerated body.

And that was quite exaggerated - dude runs a 1:30 half, didn't think he'd be too hefty. A little googling reveals I am right.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:I find it eerie how his exaggerated body in part 4 looks a lot like my non-exaggerated body.

And that was quite exaggerated - dude runs a 1:30 half, didn't think he'd be too hefty. A little googling reveals I am right.

:whistle: Witty, intelligent AND hot!
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm

killerbeetle wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

Yes, yes, and YES!!!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:19 am

And a lot younger than I expected! I really did expect him to look more like this:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

The Oatmeal on Running

Postby abhainn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:33 am

CAW wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

Yes, yes, and YES!!!

Holy cheese on a cracker! Yes!!
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

The Oatmeal on Running

Postby toobusy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 pm

La wrote:And a lot younger than I expected! I really did expect him to look more like this:

That may be what his inner voice says he looks like

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 pm

The blerch is now available in t-shirt and bumper sticker form:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/blerch_shirts

Tempting.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm

"Running is not about Vanity" he writes on a blog and is selling tee shirts. Why is it that virtually every ultra marathoners feels compelled to keep a blog and to share their every misery and then to write race reports and generally attempt to share their "story" with as many people as they can but it is not about vanity. As a full member of a the narcissist club I see the names of almost every ultra marathoner on the membership list.

It also says something that one quote he used was in reference to a huge ego that thought they could go to Alaska and conquer nature with their superior will and character and who starved to death as a result of their hubris. The author speaks of how great he is to overcome heat and hills and killer hornets but if it were only about the running then no one would have every known about these great heroic quests he was successfully overcome as if he were a Greek God.

It is about vanity and ego with a good sense of humor and for a good cause, get off the couch, but to suggest that fame and fortune have nothing to do with his running is false in my opinion.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:57 am

I haven't read this specific blog, but I disagree with your generalizations of ultra runners (as an ultra runner and former blogger myself...).

Very few people experience what ultra runners do, and the experience is deep and personal and lonely. Blogging is a way of sharing that experience with others, and sharing in theirs. I personally love reading other ultra runners' blogs, because they have so much to say that resonates with me and which I can't find anywhere else.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I found the blog and the cartoons to be well done. If these activities happened to inspire an idea that he can publish or put on a t-shirt, good for him. Inevitably, people are conditioned to see what they want to see in the world around them; for some, it's inspiration, for others, it's a validation of the necessity of egotism.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 am

I had read enough of the Oatmeal that I considered myself "familiar" with his stuff, but until this stuff started going viral I had no idea he was a runner. For someone so ego-driven, he doesn't talk about his running all that much IMO.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am

gnu wrote:I had read enough of the Oatmeal that I considered myself "familiar" with his stuff, but until this stuff started going viral I had no idea he was a runner. For someone so ego-driven, he doesn't talk about his running all that much IMO.

Yeah, I agree. He never used to say anything about his running until that ultramarathon report a couple months ago. I think he got a lot more runner followers after that, and then realized that there were a lot of people out there that could relate to his experiences. It inspired him to use that material more.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 am

I like his running stuff, but I prefer The Bobcats series. :lol:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Me too!!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I haven't read this specific blog, but I disagree with your generalizations of ultra runners (as an ultra runner and former blogger myself...).

Very few people experience what ultra runners do, and the experience is deep and personal and lonely. Blogging is a way of sharing that experience with others, and sharing in theirs. I personally love reading other ultra runners' blogs, because they have so much to say that resonates with me and which I can't find anywhere else.

What I should have said is that ultra runners are no more or less vain and ego driven than the rest of us. I qualified for Boston is something I marathoner will proclaim to the world whereas with ultra runners, how much bodily fluid of different sorts from different orifices and passing out seems to be the benchmark of "worthiness". Dr Sheehan compared training for a marathon to a mythical Greek heroic quest. Ultra runners tend to share that quest more because it goes beyond that of a mere marathon and thus ego and vanity has to play a role. If those traits did not, there is no need to keep or share a blog. To share experiences, there are internet forums so a blog is more recognition and hence ego driven to some extent. Where I take offense is when someone goes on about how tough their run was and how they overcame that adversity and publish that for everyone to read but at the same time say they are not doing it for vanity but for the pure and noble pursuit of running unlike ... marathoners, gym rats, etc. Again, if it was so pure and noble, then why the dramatic descriptions or publish it at all. I see no real harm in that given the underlying reasons but the intellectual dishonesty does bother me.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Dstew wrote:Again, if it was so pure and noble, then why the dramatic descriptions or publish it at all. I see no real harm in that given the underlying reasons but the intellectual dishonesty does bother me.

I think you're fighting an imaginary battle here. First of all, there's some serious selection bias involved with generalizing about the self-promoting nature of ultramarathon runners based on the various blogs you've read. Secondly, you surely realize that the friends, family, and followers of this cartoonist have expressed some interest in his activities, but once he complies, his motives are somehow tarnished? I read his story and see a guy who is proud of the personal transformation and adventures that running has given him; a journey which is not quantified by age group percentiles or trinkets. Of course there is adversity -- if he were to give the attitude of "it was no big deal, anyone could have done it", you'd attack him for false modesty and for being a humblebrag. I have no doubt that there are some ultra runners with huge egos out there but you might be straining to put this guy in that box and it comes across (to me, at least) as projection on your part. Just enjoy the cartoons.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 am

ian wrote:Just enjoy the cartoons.

Word!

Return to “General Running Discussion”