Top 10 running fashion faux pas

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

kab
Bruce Kidd

Re: Top 10 running fashion faux pas

Postby kab » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I always wondered why guys wore shorts over their tights. I guess the guy who I see in tights at every race wants to show off his junk then
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

mccully
Johnny Miles

Postby mccully » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm a dork in all other areas of my life so it seems fitting that I'm a dork in the running world too ;) And I wear a fuel belt. I've also been known to wear a fanny pack. I'm the coolest.
2014- the year of the comeback (I hope!)
May 3- Tri-Diva-Tri
June- Turning 30!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm

mas_runner wrote:
dgrant wrote:Missing from the article is the issue of fuel belts. The dorkiest.

Bah! I like my fuel belt, esp on long runs [only has 4 bottles though, but usually only carry the front 2].

I wore a fuel belt last night, back two bottles only.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

dgrant wrote:If a body is such that it needs tights to deal with a thigh-rubbing issue, odds are people don't wanna see that body so specifically.

Ahem.

I bought a skirt off lululemon's "we made too much" section, and it fits kind of funny (it's really tight and short) but it is super comfortable to run in. It has longer shorts underneath, which prevents chafing from my thighs rubbing. It might not look great, but it's comfy and has pockets for what I want to carry.

If you want to make fun of me for how I look when I am running, put your money where your mouth is, and run faster/longer than me. That pretty much means anyone here on RM has license to mock how I dress, but regular people can shut it.

Also, bright, non-matching colours are the easiest to spot for cheering purposes when one is running a race. I have never had a problem picking Mike out of a crowd.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:36 pm

FishPants wrote:
dgrant wrote:If a body is such that it needs tights to deal with a thigh-rubbing issue, odds are people don't wanna see that body so specifically.

Ahem.

I bought a skirt off lululemon's "we made too much" section, and it fits kind of funny (it's really tight and short) but it is super comfortable to run in. It has longer shorts underneath, which prevents chafing from my thighs rubbing. It might not look great, but it's comfy and has pockets for what I want to carry.

Yeah, in hindsight my tights comment is pretty douchey.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 pm

dgrant wrote:
FishPants wrote:

Ahem.

Yeah, in hindsight my tights comment is pretty douchey.

Wow, impressive apology. (I mean it.)

I find tights or long shorts way more comfortable to prevent the chafing issues.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 pm

I think most of us runner look pretty dorky a lot of the time. Those knee high socks look ridiculous (in my opinion). It's a silly looking sport. Really, a lot of sports outfits are, but at least in team sports, you're with a group, so you have the power of numbers.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Brian: "You wear tights?"
Andy: "I wear the required uniform."
Brian: "Tights."
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Ha ha - that article was a nice diversion/time waster! FTR, I am often guilty of the matchy matchy, but not to an extreme. In my world, black shorts and a bright pink hat go with everything.

And although I have never worn shorts over tights, I can appreciate the benefits and don't find it particularly dorky.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 pm

RA. wrote:I think most of us runner look pretty dorky a lot of the time.... It's a silly looking sport.

Have to disagree with you here.

Elite runners look totally hot and we can too.

Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Totally DON'T get the shorts over tights thing: there are different kinds of tights, right? Wear looser ones if you don't want to show anything.

Also hate the basketball shorts thing ESPECIALLY when it is some young kid who has genuine speed.

Am almost certainly guilty of the too short shorts. Not so much in training, but racing: absolutely.

One that gets me is toe shoes and compression sock combination: nature makes feet perfect but screwed up our calves?

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:
RA. wrote:I think most of us runner look pretty dorky a lot of the time.... It's a silly looking sport.

I said MOST of us. Elites aren't most of us. I'm not saying you wouldn't look great in that outfit, but I can guarantee that if I wear that outfit on my next run, I'm going to look pretty dorky. :lol:
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 pm

RA. wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I said MOST of us. Elites aren't most of us. I'm not saying you wouldn't look great in that outfit, but I can guarantee that if I wear that outfit on my next run, I'm going to look pretty dorky. :lol:

There are lots of people here that have some pretty hot running pics- you included, Ang! :). I don't think dorkiness is a given.

Now I have had a few wardrobe malfunctions lately- mostly because of water belts or my spibelt riding up too high. :oops:

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I was guilty of wearing calf sleeves in races (never in training). I knew they never worked for me so I finally ditched them. They do look dorky.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Guilty of the too short shorts issue sometimes, to my daughter's horror. I regard embarrassing my kids as part of my job description as a Dad.

Another fashion faux pas: wearing your race shirt in the race you got it for.

It's like wearing a concert t-shirt the day after the show. :naughty:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Jwolf wrote:

I'm sure if I dressed like this I would NOT look hot. :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 am

I frequently match my socks with my shirt. But otherwise I think I'm ok! On Wednesday I got teased for wearing multiple, non-matching colors together. :P

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:34 am

kab wrote:I always wondered why guys wore shorts over their tights. I guess the guy who I see in tights at every race wants to show off his junk then

sounds like our friend doonst :D :shock:

but tights under shorts are a necessity to prevent the boys/inner thighs from chafing, especially on long runs

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I always notice the hair! I've seen a few women on really hot day with long thick hair not tied up...don't get it...

I've done that. Usually it has occurred when I have a post work run scheduled and I either forgot my elastic or it broke and I also didn't have a ball cap with me to use to tuck my hair back. It isn't ideal, but not as bad as you might think and much better than missing a run.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 am

richie-rich wrote:
kab wrote:I always wondered why guys wore shorts over their tights. I guess the guy who I see in tights at every race wants to show off his junk then

but tights under shorts are a necessity to prevent the boys/inner thighs from chafing, especially on long runs

If you need tights under shorts to prevent chaffing, you're wearing the wrong kind of shorts!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 am

bruyere wrote:Oooh! Oooh! Me! I saw one yesterday, right downtown by the convention centre, as I stepped out for a walk to get lunch. I so very very much wanted to take a photo.

For the most part, she looked fairly good, I think... fit little young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a super tight white tank top and REALLY tiny and super tight hot pink shorts (OK, I'd never wear them, but then she had better thighs, so power to her).

But she also had a waist belt-pouch thing.
Turned around so the pouch was in front (made me think of that thread here from years ago, with the water bottle in front), with the belt cinched nice and tight.
Around her butt.

If she dresses like this, I could forgive her for wearing the belt ouch thing. :wink:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 am

richie-rich wrote:

Hey Richard, eyes up!

Seriously, I'm just glad that we have started a conversation about this important topic. For too long it has gone unnoticed. I've been wanting to bust out and, you know, talk about it.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Ted must have read this article. He gave me a hard time this morning about wearing my orange RM socks and my orange RM shirt. But they were the most comfortable clean socks I had and I was already wearing the shirt, so, whatever. :)

I'll admit I don't pay too much attention to what other runners are wearing, unless it's really outlandish. I think I'm focusing too much on keeping breathing. ;)
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Doonst wrote:
richie-rich wrote:

Hey Richard, eyes up!

Seriously, I'm just glad that we have started a conversation about this important topic. For too long it has gone unnoticed. I've been wanting to bust out and, you know, talk about it.

don't worry, as i am not blind i have been "looking up" :mrgreen:

anyway, lately it's been hot enough to run naked.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 pm

La wrote:If you need tights under shorts to prevent chaffing, you're wearing the wrong kind of shorts!

you might be correct. some longer shorts have a liner that goes down and shields everything. some shorts just have a mesh liner that chafes right up under the area between the boys and the thigh. for those shorts tights are required. isn't this thread wonderful??

Return to “General Running Discussion”