The runners wave?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: The runners wave?

Postby trixiee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:32 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I typically raise a hand to runners and cyclists. I find that some runners will respond back, others don't. I find ALL the cyclists respond. They are always so friendly. Will say good morning etc. as well. Runners not as much.

Woo Hoo! Cyclists are the most friendly folks out there. However, there are those young 20 year old guys that always shoot me a look of disdain without exception. :lol: That's as they are passing me... I love turning on the afterburners and will draft them for a bit. That really freaks them out! :lol:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

scottch
Percy Williams

Postby scottch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 am

I always wave and say "good morning" to runners while I am running. I belong to that 30-40 male group and I used to be worried that I was bothering people when I waved (especially the women as they looked like they were in the zone), but I found that when I was debating in my head whether or not I should wave, they initiated the smile and wave first. It just seems to be the thing around here, everyone smiles and waves. I find the older folks out walking their dogs to always want to say hi.

I wonder if it is a regional thing. I lived out in Calgary for a couple of years and I found they would avoid eye contact up there. One day I was walking along and made eye contact with someone and said good morning. Well I think they thought they had died and gone to heaven. They were so excited that someone said hi to them. Like me, they were from the east coast and noticed the same eye avoidance.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am

scottch wrote:I wonder if it is a regional thing. I lived out in Calgary for a couple of years and I found they would avoid eye contact up there. One day I was walking along and made eye contact with someone and said good morning. Well I think they thought they had died and gone to heaven. They were so excited that someone said hi to them. Like me, they were from the east coast and noticed the same eye avoidance.

There is definitely a regional factor at play. The level of street-friendliness is definitely different in each city/area I've lived in or visited. I find that, in general, people in Sherbrooke are eye-contact avoiders. That is true whether they are just out for a stroll, walking a dog, or running. I still greet people in some way (at least a nod and a smile), if I can catch their eye.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 am

As Gnu said, I live in a small town and wave/say good morning to almost everyone. I've determined that I do so for the following groups:

a) those running
b) those walking
c) those cycling
d) those who are running or cycling while I am driving (they never wave back...sigh)
e) anyone who I either know, might know through family/friends, or might meet real soon.

:lol:

As I said, I live in a small town, so there really aren't THAT many people to greet.
The funny thing is, because I greet everyone, I've found that people feel that they "know" me, and some will initiate conversation the next time I encounter them at the farmers market, school, grocery store, etc. Which is kinda cool!

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I was thinking about this thread today on my run along the Beltline and some streets. Over 100 runners, walkers etc., almost as many waves. Only 1 cyclist on the street and one runner waved back.

Must be my scowl. :shifty: :lol:

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:02 pm

mas_runner wrote:Are any of you out there wavers or do you not wave back, why not?

I live in the country so it is somewhat rare to see someone. I always greet runners and cyclists with an enthusiastic "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon." 25% of the time they respond and I am happy. 75% of the time, they act as if I am not there and I mutter "A*#hole" after I pass them.

Just being honest.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
mas_runner wrote:Are any of you out there wavers or do you not wave back, why not?

I live in the country so it is somewhat rare to see someone. I always greet runners and cyclists with an enthusiastic "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon." 25% of the time they respond and I am happy. 75% of the time, they act as if I am not there and I mutter "A*#hole" after I pass them.

Just being honest.

:lol: :lol:
When my DH and I are running we say a cheery "Good morning/afternoon/evening!" to everyone we meet...if we pass someone who ignores us or says nothing DH says quietly to me..."..or not..." and we laugh...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Return to “General Running Discussion”