Running in Montreal

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Running in Montreal

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 am

Hi,

I'm going to be in La Belle Province today and tomorrow, and I'll be staying at a hotel on Sherbrooke. I could ask the concierge where to run, or go to MapMyRun, but I thought I'd ask here about where to run early tomorrow morning. Just looking for a 6k easy run. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Running in Montreal

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am

If you're staying on Sherbrooke, be prepared for some hills!

You could run along Sherbrooke (in either direction), which would be flat. But if you go north it will be uphill and south will be down. Going UP is more interesting because then you can run around Mt. Royal.

Sherbrooke is a long street (goes virtually end-to-end of the island) - do you know what the cross street is?

ETA: Assuming you are right downtown, near McGill, here's a potential route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6016382
ETA2: Since you said you're running in the early morning, I kept the route on city streets rather than the more remote areas of Mt. Royal.
Last edited by La on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 am

La wrote:Sherbrooke is a long street (goes virtually end-to-end of the island) - do you know what the cross street is?

Ooooh....no hills please! :-)
It's Sherbrooke at Saint-Urbain. Is it a picturesque run up and down Sherbrooke?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:27 am

DLS wrote:
La wrote:Sherbrooke is a long street (goes virtually end-to-end of the island) - do you know what the cross street is?

Ooooh....no hills please! :-)
It's Sherbrooke at Saint-Urbain. Is it a picturesque run up and down Sherbrooke?

Sherbrooke runs east/west. It's a major street with lots of cars and stop lights (but beautiful architecture).

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 am

La wrote:Sherbrooke runs east/west. It's a major street with lots of cars and stop lights (but beautiful architecture).

Thanks for the info. I might brave the hills to get away from traffic and lights.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:35 am

You could do this route as an out-and-back. Will be a little bit uphill to start, but nothing crazy:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6016398

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 am

Good timing I'm there in 3wks and was looking for advice on a long run through Mt Royal. I have 40 on my schedule for that day. Staying at the Hyatt on Jeanne-Mance. Any additional advice or links? Thanks
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:54 am

La wrote:You could do this route as an out-and-back. Will be a little bit uphill to start, but nothing crazy:

That looks perfect! Thank you!

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:58 am

La wrote:You could do this route as an out-and-back. Will be a little bit uphill to start, but nothing crazy:

Off-topic -- Do you know any good restaurants in that area? I was looking for something bistro-like such as Beaver Hall, but Beaver Hall is praised for lunch, and totally panned for dinner.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 am

DLS wrote:

Off-topic -- Do you know any good restaurants in that area? I was looking for something bistro-like such as Beaver Hall, but Beaver Hall is praised for lunch, and totally panned for dinner.

Sorry, I rarely eat anywhere other than my mum's house and Chalet BBQ when I go to Montreal. :lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:05 am

ngcaper wrote:Good timing I'm there in 3wks and was looking for advice on a long run through Mt Royal. I have 40 on my schedule for that day. Staying at the Hyatt on Jeanne-Mance. Any additional advice or links? Thanks

40K? That will be a LOT of loops of Mt. Royal! :lol:

Maybe check with the Westmount Running Room (Sherbrooke near Prince Albert) for longer route suggestions.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 am

I would actually go straight down from where you are (towards the water and far away from the hills!) and run along Canal Lachine path.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

DLS wrote:

I really like this restaurant on St-Denis near Sherbrooke, it's run by the students of the ITHQ (cooking classes)

http://www.restomontreal.ca/en/1755/Res ... -lInstitut
Sonia

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 am

Dr. S wrote:I would actually go straight down from where you are (towards the water and far away from the hills!) and run along Canal Lachine path.

But then she has to run back up the hill at the end! ;)

Would you run on that path early in the morning?

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 am

Dr. S wrote:I would actually go straight down from where you are (towards the water and far away from the hills!) and run along Canal Lachine path.

Good idea -- I'll look at that.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 am

La wrote:

But then she has to run back up the hill at the end! ;)

Would you run on that path early in the morning?

I've done it multiple times, working in the Old Port and driving in early to avoid traffic. I've never had any issues.
Sonia

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I, too, was going to suggest going down to the canal to get flat. Start with a run down hill and end your run with a walk back up to cool down.

Restos around there... depends what you want:
- Walk a couple of blocks west to Saint-Laurent and (just north of ) Sherbrooke for what I always called the "beautiful people places." Go to Buona Notte for a place of celebrities and the home of "Pastagate" :lol: (I've only gone there once or twice, and found it ... meh)

- Like chocolate? Walk up Saint-Laurent to Prince Arthur for Juliette et Chocolat. Have a meal (including savoury crepes) and a crazy yummy chocolate anything for dessert.

- Greek food? Bring your Own Wine? When you hit Prince Arthur, turn right into the pedestrian-only side, and browse the restos there.

- Smoked Meat? Continue up Saint-Laurent to Schwartz's (I hear it's good... this veg doesn't really go. ;) )

- Taste of Quebecois culture? Continue along Sherbrooke street, heading east, and turn right down Saint-Denis. Browse pubs, restos, bars on Saint-Denis and Ontario. (La Distillerie has drinks in mason jars! ;) )

Um... I know there's more, but I should get back to work!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 pm

La wrote:
ngcaper wrote:Good timing I'm there in 3wks and was looking for advice on a long run through Mt Royal. I have 40 on my schedule for that day. Staying at the Hyatt on Jeanne-Mance. Any additional advice or links? Thanks

Maybe check with the Westmount Running Room (Sherbrooke near Prince Albert) for longer route suggestions.

Hahaha...yes when I checked out the map it looks to be more loops than I sanely could complete. Great suggestion about the RR in Westmount. I checked out the website and found some links to suggested routes. One is 17k so a double and a few more k tacked on would do.

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2516

Thanks
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:35 pm

ngcaper wrote:
La wrote:

Hahaha...yes when I checked out the map it looks to be more loops than I sanely could complete. Great suggestion about the RR in Westmount. I checked out the website and found some links to suggested routes. One is 17k so a double and a few more k tacked on would do.

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2516

Thanks

That's a decent one, aside from the fact that you spend a fair bit of time on Sherbrooke. And it's a bit hilly. (Some will love that, some hate it.)

Another option would be to run down to the canal, over to Ile Ste Helene, play around there, and head back. Prettier. Flatter (again, good or bad, depending). No traffic.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 pm

bruyere wrote:Another option would be to run down to the canal, over to Ile Ste Helene, play around there, and head back. Prettier. Flatter (again, good or bad, depending). No traffic.

From the Old Port to the far western end of the Lachine Canal is about 15K, one way. And as Heather suggested, if you go over to Ile Ste-Helene (further east of the Old Port) you can make up some extra distance there.

You'd have to pay attention to the paths on Google Maps, though, as you have to switch back and forth from the north side to the south side of the canal a couple of times in order to go the full length.

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the info! I'll be back in Montreal next month for a day or two, and will explore further.

D

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:59 pm

I ran their last year and went down to the old port (Vieux Port) - it is a bit more pedestrianized.

My advice would be to be very wary at crosswalks. Even if you have a walk sign, some drivers will turn right anyway so take a little bit of extra time at each street crossing to be sure, I had a couple of very close escapes with crazy drivers (and cyclists).

Have fun!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon