2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
AndyM
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby AndyM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Just registered for the marathon. Eek!!!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 pm

AndyM wrote:Just registered for the marathon. Eek!!!


Who are? What did you do to our Andrea?

First ATB and now Ottawa? :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
AndyM
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby AndyM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm

HCcD wrote:
AndyM wrote:Just registered for the marathon. Eek!!!


Who are? What did you do to our Andrea?

First ATB and now Ottawa? :shifty: :lol: :wink:



I know. I'm actually worried I've lost my marbles. :shock:

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

User avatar
Avis
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, QC

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Avis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Well, that settles it. I didn't sign up for the half, and now it's too late. I was doubting, anyway, that I'd be ready for a half by this spring. I didn't want to sign up so early, and wind up putting too much pressure on myself. I'll keep working, and who knows? Maybe 2015 will be the year!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31340
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: burlington, ON

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby deerdree » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Avis wrote:Well, that settles it. I didn't sign up for the half, and now it's too late. I was doubting, anyway, that I'd be ready for a half by this spring. I didn't want to sign up so early, and wind up putting too much pressure on myself. I'll keep working, and who knows? Maybe 2015 will be the year!

I have a feeling there will be quite a few bibs up for grabs come transfer time.

As I said upthread, I'll be in town that weekend. But I probably won't make any decisions about what (if anything) I'm running until transfer time rolls around closer to the date.

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jwolf » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Avis wrote:Well, that settles it. I didn't sign up for the half, and now it's too late. I was doubting, anyway, that I'd be ready for a half by this spring. I didn't want to sign up so early, and wind up putting too much pressure on myself. I'll keep working, and who knows? Maybe 2015 will be the year!

The good thing about the half-marathon distance is that there are many to choose from-- you don't have to do the one on Ottawa Race Weekend. It is hard to sign up more than six months in advance, I agree (facing the same dilemma for Vancouver half in May).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
Avis
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, QC

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Avis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Avis wrote:Well, that settles it. I didn't sign up for the half, and now it's too late. I was doubting, anyway, that I'd be ready for a half by this spring. I didn't want to sign up so early, and wind up putting too much pressure on myself. I'll keep working, and who knows? Maybe 2015 will be the year!

The good thing about the half-marathon distance is that there are many to choose from-- you don't have to do the one on Ottawa Race Weekend. It is hard to sign up more than six months in advance, I agree (facing the same dilemma for Vancouver half in May).

Yup! Right close by there is the North Hatley Half marathon on Mother's Day weekend, and the Demi-Marathon de Sherbrooke (although that is starting to sell out quickly) at the end of June. But there won't be any other Maniacs to meet and greet at either of those events.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby canalrunner » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Also the Limestone Half in Kingston a couple of weeks before, Toronto Good Life and Mississauga Halfs, and the Montreal and Run for Reach Half Marathons in April. Sure there are others around Ottawa around the same time.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 25412
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Hull, Qc
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Kelodie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 pm

I will be signing up for the 10K. Worst case, I can walk it. :)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

User avatar
barebuns1
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:13 pm
Location: Medicine Hat, Ab

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:55 pm

I really like the look of the shirt. I don't know if I should wait much longer to decide if I should run this marathon and then drive to Calgary and run theirs the week later. :shock:
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: AND IT'S GONE

Postby Irongirl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 pm

La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

I think the RR clinics are to "blame" for the rush on registrations. They push it very hard and encourage people to sign up early.


Really? Interesting?

As the instructor of the half marathon clinic that leads up to this race, I can actually say that the early sell out is a huge detriment for my clinic.

The current clinics will definitely remind their members to register early, but, when it comes time for the actual clinic for this race, the numbers are getting lower and lower every year since first timers that didn't realize they had to register early aren't going to take a clinic for a race they can't run.

:(

I've been suggesting/talking to the RR about seeing if they can buy a block of bibs for their clinics to be able to sell them as a package.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: AND IT'S GONE

Postby La » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Irongirl wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

I think the RR clinics are to "blame" for the rush on registrations. They push it very hard and encourage people to sign up early.


Really? Interesting?

As the instructor of the half marathon clinic that leads up to this race, I can actually say that the early sell out is a huge detriment for my clinic.

The current clinics will definitely remind their members to register early, but, when it comes time for the actual clinic for this race, the numbers are getting lower and lower every year since first timers that didn't realize they had to register early aren't going to take a clinic for a race they can't run.

:(

I've been suggesting/talking to the RR about seeing if they can buy a block of bibs for their clinics to be able to sell them as a package.

Not the clinics starting in January, but the ones that are on now (e.g., Chilly Half here in the GTA). I'm not sure how else there's such a rush on registrations so early - it certainly can't just be past participants racing to sign up early.

As to your last point, I think that would result in fewer spots being available to the general public.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: AND IT'S GONE

Postby Irongirl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 pm

La wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

I think the RR clinics are to "blame" for the rush on registrations. They push it very hard and encourage people to sign up early.


Really? Interesting?

As the instructor of the half marathon clinic that leads up to this race, I can actually say that the early sell out is a huge detriment for my clinic.

The current clinics will definitely remind their members to register early, but, when it comes time for the actual clinic for this race, the numbers are getting lower and lower every year since first timers that didn't realize they had to register early aren't going to take a clinic for a race they can't run.

:(

I've been suggesting/talking to the RR about seeing if they can buy a block of bibs for their clinics to be able to sell them as a package.

Not the clinics starting in January, but the ones that are on now (e.g., Chilly Half here in the GTA). I'm not sure how else there's such a rush on registrations so early - it certainly can't just be past participants racing to sign up early.

As to your last point, I think that would result in fewer spots being available to the general public.


RR clinic members are "the general public" though. ;)

I don't have a magic answer, I'm just noting the obvious decline in what used to be the largest clinic at the RR.....at least here. I know way too many people that buy both a half and a full bib now "just in case"......knowing that they could likely sell the half bib. It's also a great revenue stream for the race (the transfer $$s). If I wasn't teaching the clinic this year, I'm not sure I would have shelled out $100 for a half marathon.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 21763
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 am
Location: The Texas Tropics

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I guess many people know the race will sell out, so they get in early. So that trend feeds on itself with people signing up earlier and earlier.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby La » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Irongirl wrote:
La wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Wow!!! Half marathon sold out. I guess the change in price was not much of a barrier. Likely lots of resale in the spring. Any predictions for the 10K? Christmas?

I think the RR clinics are to "blame" for the rush on registrations. They push it very hard and encourage people to sign up early.


Really? Interesting?

As the instructor of the half marathon clinic that leads up to this race, I can actually say that the early sell out is a huge detriment for my clinic.

The current clinics will definitely remind their members to register early, but, when it comes time for the actual clinic for this race, the numbers are getting lower and lower every year since first timers that didn't realize they had to register early aren't going to take a clinic for a race they can't run.

:(

I've been suggesting/talking to the RR about seeing if they can buy a block of bibs for their clinics to be able to sell them as a package.

Not the clinics starting in January, but the ones that are on now (e.g., Chilly Half here in the GTA). I'm not sure how else there's such a rush on registrations so early - it certainly can't just be past participants racing to sign up early.

As to your last point, I think that would result in fewer spots being available to the general public.


RR clinic members are "the general public" though. ;)

I don't consider people buying a package (clinic and race together) to be the general public since this model would only be available to people who wanted the package, and because it's sold through a reseller. Just like buying a race package for NYC or other destination race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Spirit wrote:I guess many people know the race will sell out, so they get in early. So that trend feeds on itself with people signing up earlier and earlier.


Yeah, it's a self-feeding cycle. Also they know they can sell their bib if they need to later on- not all races allow this even if they sell out. I'd guess the Running Room clinics are only a small part of the reason for early registrations.

The same thing happens with the First Half half-marathon here. Granted there are way fewer spots (about a quarter) and less time between registration and the race, but it's a similar end result.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
Pat29
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1370
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:42 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Pat29 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I registered for the marathon today.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run


My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

User avatar
ShinSplints
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1480
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Toronto (near Yonge&Finch), ON
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby ShinSplints » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I signed up for the Full. Trying to get back into running groove.
Is there a meet and greet? Have not met any Maniacs in ages. Darn RM shirt shrunk or I got bigger.
Don't Limit Your Challenges.....Challenge Your Limits
Next races:
Just running around the neighborhood playground...

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

ShinSplints wrote:I signed up for the Full. Trying to get back into running groove.
Is there a meet and greet? Have not met any Maniacs in ages. Darn RM shirt shrunk or I got bigger.



I think it may be a little early to organize a M&G :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian....it will be great to see you again...and just for that I'll make sure I put myself in charge of a M&G...it's like herding cats at times :roll: :roll: :wink:

I signed up for the Half.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:29 am
Location: Orleans / Ottawa
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby Irongirl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
ShinSplints wrote:I signed up for the Full. Trying to get back into running groove.
Is there a meet and greet? Have not met any Maniacs in ages. Darn RM shirt shrunk or I got bigger.



I think it may be a little early to organize a M&G :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian....it will be great to see you again...and just for that I'll make sure I put myself in charge of a M&G...it's like herding cats at times :roll: :roll: :wink:

I signed up for the Half.


Yippie! (To both shinsplints and jojo)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

User avatar
ngcaper
Tom Longboat
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am
Location: NCR

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby ngcaper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Edit: I registered, it'll be a long training run.

I'm on the fence here...$127 seems like too much for a marathon, but the timing is good, I'd get home from Florida the Thursday before, and unlike Sulphur it won't require I drive for 6hrs on the Friday. That and I'd get a race in before Vermont in July. Then again I don't like large road races, decisions decisions. Anyone have a close full or 50k Mid-May or early June that I could drive to run and drive home in a single day...I am in Ottawa.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby La » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

Irongirl wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
ShinSplints wrote:I signed up for the Full. Trying to get back into running groove.
Is there a meet and greet? Have not met any Maniacs in ages. Darn RM shirt shrunk or I got bigger.



I think it may be a little early to organize a M&G :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian....it will be great to see you again...and just for that I'll make sure I put myself in charge of a M&G...it's like herding cats at times :roll: :roll: :wink:

I signed up for the Half.


Yippie! (To both shinsplints and jojo)

I think it's time for someone to break out the finishing line photo of shinsplints from The Wolfe in 2006!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
carm
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:08 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby carm » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 pm

I registered for the 10k a few weeks ago. It will likely be my first race post-baby unless I do a 'fun' 5k before that. I've been off running since late August so I have the pleasure of re-training my body during winter/early spring. :)
Carm

User avatar
purdy65
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Just booked my hotel!

Nice and close to the start/finish so that this pace bunny can have calm nerves.

DH will be there to keep me calm :D

Anyone out there looking to run 4:30?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2014 Ottawa Race Weekend - May 24-25, 2014

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Also, confirmed as a pace bunny this year, the 50 minute / 10K r/w... :dance: :dance: hopefully, I will not be too fatigued afterwards, as I am also registered for the 1/2 Marathon event, the next morning... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests