2014 Vancouver Marathon

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: 2014 Vancouver Marathon

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 am

oh........ Portland for the May long, eh? hmmmm....
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:21 am

Half-Mary wrote:I'll be undecided until closer to the date. While I didn't like all of that downhill at the beginning (trashed my quads), I still knocked 7 or 8 minutes off of my previous time when I ran this race. I know that won't happen again, but it has only left me with good memories of the last time I did run in Vancouver.

I might be racing in Portland over the long weekend in May, so if I do, that will be my spring A race. Last year (2012), I did both Vancouver and then Portland, and it was a bit much.

Habs, are you running Vancouver in 2014? Who else might be coming in from out of town?

I don't think so, Mary. :(
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:23 am

Habs4ever wrote:
Half-Mary wrote:I'll be undecided until closer to the date. While I didn't like all of that downhill at the beginning (trashed my quads), I still knocked 7 or 8 minutes off of my previous time when I ran this race. I know that won't happen again, but it has only left me with good memories of the last time I did run in Vancouver.

I might be racing in Portland over the long weekend in May, so if I do, that will be my spring A race. Last year (2012), I did both Vancouver and then Portland, and it was a bit much.

Habs, are you running Vancouver in 2014? Who else might be coming in from out of town?

I don't think so, Mary. :(

That's because Habs is coming to Ottawa ... :shifty: :P :wink: :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am

So, seriously, folks .. is the half marathon course worth travelling across the country for? is it a fast course, or more of a scenic one? I am not sure if I will be doing a spring marathon, or another marathon in 2014 after Dopey, at this time .... thanks ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 am

Holey moley that's pricey...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:49 am

La wrote:It's significantly higher than the price of the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon ($80-110, $130 for mail-in or in-person), and that race has big prize money and many elite racers who come. Can they really justify a $169 max price? Or do you think they're doing that to encourage people to register earlier?

Toronto has a lot of competition at that time of year. Aren't there three marathons in a couple weeks within a few miles?

Vancouver has no competition.

Plus, Vancouver has marketed itself as a destination marathon, and if you're getting on a plane for Vancouver, what's another $30 or $40 in race fees.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am

HCcD wrote:So, seriously, folks .. is the half marathon course worth travelling across the country for? is it a fast course, or more of a scenic one? I am not sure if I will be doing a spring marathon, or another marathon in 2014 after Dopey, at this time .... thanks ...

I'd say its both fast and scenic. Whether its worth travelling for is a tough question - its not as far a flight for me and I can always justify a trip to Vancouver. Its harder to imagine flying across the country for a half without another reason.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am

From what I've seen the past two years, they've been really successful at marketing themselves as a destination race. It seems like there have been a lot more international runners the past two years.

The weather has also been anomalously good for the past two years. Early May can be gross and wet and frequently was on race day in earlier years.

Vancouver for a destination race with Vancouver as the destination - sure, as an especially scenic race - I don't know but I'm probably jaded as I see the scenery every day. I miss running through the funky back alleys of the DT East side :)
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 am

turd ferguson wrote:
HCcD wrote:So, seriously, folks .. is the half marathon course worth travelling across the country for? is it a fast course, or more of a scenic one? I am not sure if I will be doing a spring marathon, or another marathon in 2014 after Dopey, at this time .... thanks ...

I'd say its both fast and scenic. Whether its worth travelling for is a tough question - its not as far a flight for me and I can always justify a trip to Vancouver. Its harder to imagine flying across the country for a half without another reason.

You should consider coming out for the First Half in February Mike.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

marymac442 wrote:I miss running through the funky back alleys of the DT East side :)

Sign-up for the inaugural Vancouver Eastside 10K running tomorrow and you can re-live that love. I’ll pass on my feedback tomorrow after the race. The course has us going right in the heart of the eastside (Main & Cordova/Powell).
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am

Stampie wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

You should consider coming out for the First Half in February Mike.

Its a good idea - I just looked it up and I suspect we'll be on holidays that week (still in planning stages).

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:33 am

marymac442 wrote: I miss running through the funky back alleys of the DT East side :)

The only time I've met Randomgirl (is she still around) was when she was volunteering at an aid station just east of Gastown in 2007. If you think its fun to run through, according to her its even more entertaining setting up an aid station at 7 am on a Sunday.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am

turd ferguson wrote:
marymac442 wrote: I miss running through the funky back alleys of the DT East side :)

The only time I've met Randomgirl (is she still around) was when she was volunteering at an aid station just east of Gastown in 2007. If you think its fun to run through, according to her its even more entertaining setting up an aid station at 7 am on a Sunday.

She hasn't been on RM lately, but she is still alive and well! I had dinner with her just this week. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

ultraslacker wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

She hasn't been on RM lately, but she is still alive and well! I had dinner with her just this week. :)

Thank her for the gatorade for me.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

2014 Vancouver Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Andy is asking whether Vancouver is worth travelling to? ;) How many times have you been here? :)

I didn't love the half course but that's partly because it seemed to play to my weakness (cramping calves). I'm determined to conquer it this year though. :twisted: It is definitely very scenic although not quite as nice as the full.

In general I think BMO Vancouver team does put on a great event.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

2014 Vancouver Marathon

Postby marymac442 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:47 am

Stampie wrote:
marymac442 wrote:I miss running through the funky back alleys of the DT East side :)

Sign-up for the inaugural Vancouver Eastside 10K running tomorrow and you can re-live that love. I’ll pass on my feedback tomorrow after the race. The course has us going right in the heart of the eastside (Main & Cordova/Powell).

I just checked out the route for the Eastside 10k, that is exactly the "fun" back alley tour that used to be the start of the old BMO Half route. Say high to my "rubbie" friends down on Cordova.

(eta - apropos typo in the preceding sentence :))
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:36 am

marymac442 wrote:
Stampie wrote:

I just checked out the route for the Eastside 10k, that is exactly the "fun" back alley tour that used to be the start of the old BMO Half route. Say high to my "rubbie" friends down on Cordova.

(eta - apropos typo in the preceding sentence :))

The route was not too bad. You hit the heart of the Downtown Eastside at about 3.5K and ran thru it for about 3K. Running past Oppenheimer Park was a hoot, all the rubbies were cheering us on.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Bumping this thread up because the first deadline is fast approaching and I'm on the fence.

The prices increase a lot if you wait till closer to the date, but I'm reluctant to register so far in advance.

I don't love the new half-marathon course (which I did in 2012 and had a terrible race); the marathon course, while going through some beautiful parts of the city, is also a tough one.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to register for the Run For Water marathon in Abbotsford at the end of May (three weeks later).

But I am still drawn to the Vancouver marathon (or half). It was my first half-marathon back in 2004, so this would be my 10-year anniversary year. Injury kept me out twice in the years since; otherwise I have done the half 8 times and the full once. And the new course starts almost in by backyard (less than 2k from my house). I think I will be sad to see it come and go if I don't participate.

What to do??

I do realize that this is a GOOD problem to have, given the up and down year I've had. But I'm still torn. Help! :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Jwolf wrote: I think I will be sad to see it come and go if I don't participate.

Based on this statement Jennifer, I would at the very least sign-up for the half.

I to have been looking at Run For Water since there fee structure is more manageable. And just to make the decision process even more interesting, Bellingham Bay Marathon has sweetened the pot. They offered me a discount code as a past participant for the Sept’2014 event. I can do the marathon for $60 all in (reg. $75) or the half for $48 ($60). The catch is I have to register by the 15th. Hmmm

I’m going to likely pass on BMO in 2014, but I will be out cheering and likely volunteering at the expo.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “General Running Discussion”