Donovan Bailey

Ooops ... Marathon win a surprise

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 am

Oooops ...

Marathon win a surprise

Kelly Steele
Sep 23, 2013 - 12:50 PM EDT
Last Updated: Sep 24, 2013 - 6:39 AM EDT

Meredith Fitzmaurice never dreamed she’d win Sunday’s Run for Heroes Marathon in Amherstburg.

Especially since the Belle River runner planned to run the half marathon and not the full 26.2-mile race. But a wrong turn sent her onto the marathon course.

“I just run with my watch, so I was watching my time since I planned to do my half in under 1:28,” she said. “I was doing the race as training for my first full marathon in Detroit. But I’m looking at the time and wondering where the finish line is.”

Fitzmaurice, 34, asked one of the bike officials on the course where the turn was for the half marathon, although she admits by that point she pretty much figured out what she had done.

“Once I realized what I had done, I figured well I’ll just run 20 miles and use it as a long run and call it a day,” she said.

But as she headed back from the turn-around in River Canard she started to count people ahead of her. She realized there were only nine men ahead, and no women. She asked the official on the bike if she finished the marathon, even though she was signed up for the half, if it would count as a finish and, more importantly, would she be able to use her time as a Boston Marathon qualifier.

“The official said he was going to ask the race director and he’d be back,” she said. “So as I’m running I’m wondering if my race is going to count, I’m thinking about my friend who is at the finish line probably wondering where I am since I have the keys to the car. And my neighbour, who was going to be waiting for me at the finish line. I knew they were going to be worried about me. “

The bike official finally came back and said the race director, Chris Uszynski, would honour her race as a completion in the full distance.

“While I was waiting for a response I wasn’t sure what to do,” she said. “I felt really good but I was scared because I hadn’t planned to run 26.2 miles that day and was worried if it didn’t count that I would burn myself out for Detroit.”

So Fitzmaurice decided to continue on. She asked the official on the bike if he’d keep her company.

As Fitzmaurice got near the finish line at the arena on Meloche Road the feeling was “surreal.” People were high-fiving her and telling her she was the first woman and to keep going.

“I had only ever run 20 miles, but I think at that point the adrenalin just pulled me through,” she said. “I just kept thinking you can do this, just get it done. The last couple miles were really tough.”

When Fitzmaurice crossed the finish line in a time of 3:11:48 she was the first woman, 10th overall and had qualified for Boston.

“I thought I was only running a half marathon so I really gave it out there,” she said. “If I knew I was going to be running the full marathon I probably wouldn’t have ran so fast. So maybe it was a good thing.”

And, as for making the wrong turn, Fitzmaurice said when she got to the corner it was pretty quiet and there weren’t a lot of runners around her. She blames the mistake on the fact she had her headphones on and was definitely in a zone.

“I just missed it,” she said. “I didn’t do it on purpose. When I crossed the finish line I saw my friend and I started to cry and then I hugged the guy on the bike. Without him I wouldn’t have been able to do it. This was my first one and even though my family was disappointed they weren’t there to see it, maybe this was meant to be. I was alone and maybe this was how I was meant to do it.”

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/09/23/marathon-win-a-surprise/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Ooops ... Marathon win a surprise

Postby purdy65 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 am

Love it! I'm glad they honoured the time.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 am

Very cool!

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:16 am

I guess she can relax and just have fun in Detroit.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:27 am

I'm always amazed a these people for whom it seems to come so easily! I mean I know she trains hard and runs fast, but for her first marathon- she didn't even slow down much after running what she thought was half-marathon pace!

I know a lot of people train by running their marathon pace for their long runs- maybe she does. I would love to see how much faster she could get- maybe even Olympic trials.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

Love it!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am

I was never as fast as when I didn't know what I was doing, when I hadn't learned all the "rules" yet about what I couldn't do. If only I could forget everything I've learned and just run a race.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 am

Am I the only one thinking about how pissed off woman #2 must be? :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

gnu wrote:Am I the only one thinking about how pissed off woman #2 must be? :lol:

No kidding ... as the 2nd place woman had paid full registration price for the marathon ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

eta: Another reason for not wearing headphones in a big race/event ... Better Duck & Hide now .. :shifty: :lol: :wink: :help:

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:49 am

gnu wrote:Am I the only one thinking about how pissed off woman #2 must be? :lol:

So true!

Well, I guess some people have a lot more natural running ability. Good for her!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

turd ferguson wrote:I was never as fast as when I didn't know what I was doing, when I hadn't learned all the "rules" yet about what I couldn't do. If only I could forget everything I've learned and just run a race.

Really? Then just go back to running that way! :)

I am definitely not that gifted and was as slow as a slug before I learned how to train.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 pm

She should not have been allowed to win. I think the RD let human emotions get in the way of the proper judgment. It is simple she made a huge mistake and by that they rewarded her with 1st place.
What would the 2nd place women feel like. After paying the full price. She could have ground for an appeal, she would probably win.

Congrats to Meredith on her great time, but you got the glory that was reserved for someone else.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:10 pm

barebuns1 wrote:She should not have been allowed to win. I think the RD let human emotions get in the way of the proper judgment. It is simple she made a huge mistake and by that they rewarded her with 1st place.
What would the 2nd place women feel like. After paying the full price. She could have ground for an appeal, she would probably win.

Congrats to Meredith on her great time, but you got the glory that was reserved for someone else.

Appeal to whom? The courts? I would expect that a Race Director is fully entitled to make this sort of judgement call. As far as I can tell, there weren't even any prizes at stake in this small event, but why would we want to let a happy story about a runner unexpectedly achieving a personal goal get in the way of someone else's "glory"? Fortunately I haven't yet heard this sentiment from the actual participants of the race -- perhaps they might even be elated to have achieved goals of their own, unaffected by the results of others.

Based on previous discussions on this forum, I'm well aware that I have a minority viewpoint on this issue. So be it.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:17 pm

She ran a great first marathon and achieved a BQ to boot. She didn't win the race though; a bandit can't win and that's essentially what she was in the Marathon that day. Dumb call by the RD.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:21 pm

ian wrote:
barebuns1 wrote:She should not have been allowed to win. I think the RD let human emotions get in the way of the proper judgment. It is simple she made a huge mistake and by that they rewarded her with 1st place.

Appeal to whom? The courts? I would expect that a Race Director is fully entitled to make this sort of judgement call. As far as I can tell, there weren't even any prizes at stake in this small event, but why would we want to let a happy story about a runner unexpectedly achieving a personal goal get in the way of someone else's "glory"? Fortunately I haven't yet heard this sentiment from the actual participants of the race -- perhaps they might even be elated to have achieved goals of their own, unaffected by the results of others.

Based on previous discussions on this forum, I'm well aware that I have a minority viewpoint on this issue. So be it.

I totally agree with you.

It's also worth noting that sometimes in small events there's just one entry fee so it's not as if she didn't "pay" for the marathon.

Ken- I couldn't tell if you were even serious about your gripe.

I seriously can't believe people would accuse her of banditing the race.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Personally if it were me in 2nd, I wouldn't feel right about claiming 1st. She ran the marathon course, didn't she? Didn't cheat, cleared it with the RD? I would think I'd been beaten fair and square regardless of how the registration process was slightly circumvented.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm

I hate to break it to you... some people don't pay to race, and those same people are often in fact Paid to race, regardless of how they do. Is that fair to the person whom paid?

She didn't break any rules, and ran the whole thing. It's not like she took off 2kms and won, she ran 26.2mi. She would have been ahead of girl #2 the whole time.

For girl #2 to claim that she deserves it is to let mediocrity rule. Maybe she was only 2min back, but let's face it, she wasn't ahead! This isn't a Rosie Ruiz situation.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised to see an appeal by the 2nd place woman.

At the PEC marathon last year one of the local speedsters asked the race director ahead of time if she could have a pacer join her for the 2nd half of the race, which was approved. She ended up beating the 2nd woman by over 10 minutes (who lost all of those 10 minutes in the 2nd half). The 2nd place woman went to the race director after the race and kicked up a stink, saying that the pacer gave an unfair advantage, and ended up getting the prize money.

Still- I think this lady who made the wrong turn and won the full is awesome. I think she deserves the win.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Re:

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:I seriously can't believe people would accuse her of banditing the race.

Believe it.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re:

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ian wrote:

It's also worth noting that sometimes in small events there's just one entry fee so it's not as if she didn't "pay" for the marathon.

Not that it makes any difference, since it was mentioned ... there was a bit of a price differential and yes, a small field ... the eventual 2nd Place Women's FInisher was about 3 minutes behind ...

https://raceroster.com/events/2013/396/2013-world-alzheimers-day

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re:

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ian wrote:

Ken = Alfie

She ran a race she didn't register for. What's the definition of bandit?

Don't get me wrong - it isn't a big deal and I'm happy for her. I'm just not sure about some people's flexible ethics when it comes to some rules and not others.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jay-Lorens
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jay-Lorens » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Personally if it were me in 2nd, I wouldn't feel right about claiming 1st. She ran the marathon course, didn't she? Didn't cheat, cleared it with the RD? I would think I'd been beaten fair and square regardless of how the registration process was slightly circumvented.

Agreed, the other reply’s seem to be of poor taste. Poor sportsmanship if you ask me!
Post like these are the reason I so rarely reply on this site any more...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I guess the fact that she won fixes a lot. I'm old and slow, if I register for one event this weekend and run a different one that won't bother anyone?

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:38 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I guess the fact that she won fixes a lot. I'm old and slow, if I register for one event this weekend and run a different one that won't bother anyone?

Careful, you're using logic and reason, that's not going to get you anywhere in an emotion-based discussion.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:00 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I guess the fact that she won fixes a lot. I'm old and slow, if I register for one event this weekend and run a different one that won't bother anyone?

Wouldn't bother me so long as the RD is OK with it. The only iffy thing I can think of is that the woman would have been wearing a HM number (assuming this race was big enough to have bibs with different colours) and so the 2nd place person wouldn't have known she had a competitor ahead.

Return to “General Running Discussion”