Are colour runs are a faux-charity scam ??

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Are colour runs are a faux-charity scam ??

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I go in races because I want to. I hardly care if a charity is involved or not. If I volunteered at a for profit race, there should be a benefit to me. Like one race series gives discounted entries if you volunteer.

I don't want to be in a color race. Not even for Habs.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Spirit wrote:I go in races because I want to. I hardly care if a charity is involved or not. If I volunteered at a for profit race, there should be a benefit to me. Like one race series gives discounted entries if you volunteer.

Thanks for the reminder: yes, I've volunteered at a for-profit race in exchange for a free entry to a subsequent race. Many of the volunteers at races here are students who need to fulfill their community service hours to graduate, so I guess that's how they're compensated.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Spirit wrote:I go in races because I want to. I hardly care if a charity is involved or not. If I volunteered at a for profit race, there should be a benefit to me. Like one race series gives discounted entries if you volunteer.

I don't want to be in a color race. Not even for Habs.

:lol: I'd never go in a color race either, so you're off the hook.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Honest question: Is it bad for you to inhale all that airborne powder?

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm

dgrant wrote:Honest question: Is it bad for you to inhale all that airborne powder?

I read one article that said it was coloured corn starch.

From a H&S standpoirnt....have you ever lit a match to a airborne flour?
The Summer of Eng is over.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Engmomma wrote:
dgrant wrote:Honest question: Is it bad for you to inhale all that airborne powder?

:lol: :lol: :lol: (I used to work in a starch plant that blew up every other year)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 pm

phorunner wrote:lol. did this and the electro-dash for fun. found discounts on both, I think they cost me ~$15-20 each. Got a cool shirt, had fun, brought friends who otherwise don't run. Most importantly, they were a lot of fun.

My only gripe is both measured out ~4k, not 5k. But whatever. Cheap and fun. And great photos for Facebook. Why not?

(sidebar, the official race photos were something like $6 for both of them - I wish other photo companies would take note - I'd be willing to bet they more than hit their breakeven because more people bought them)

There was an article / posting on FB earlier this summer from a Camera Shop that rented equipment and the owner/manager basically said a lot of photographers had almost ruined their cameras and lenses from all the micro dusts of the powder, somehow getting into the lens and inside of the camera ... Had to ship them back to the manufacturer to get it cleaned / repaired ... :shock: :?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 pm

"There's a sucker born every minute"

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 am

You know world hunger is a problem when using food products for charity fun runs is considered a good idea.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 am

Spirit wrote:
Engmomma wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: (I used to work in a starch plant that blew up every other year)

:shock: :shock:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:00 am

La wrote:

Thanks for the reminder: yes, I've volunteered at a for-profit race in exchange for a free entry to a subsequent race. Many of the volunteers at races here are students who need to fulfill their community service hours to graduate, so I guess that's how they're compensated.

I don't consider the charity when deciding what race to enter.
I've volunteered at K-Town Tri since 2004......the main benefit is that I get to see people in spandex ...and unleash Hula Girl :lol: :lol:
La...lots of the volunteers I've recruited for K-Town have been students needing volunteer hours.

I'm not interested in doing events like the Colour runs but I have no problem with people making a profit.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 am

Engmomma wrote:

In an outdoor environment, would the concentration be high enough to be combustible?

I was thinking more about lining your airway and lungs with that stuff. If you're breathing mostly through your mouth while jogging, does your body have a mechanism for filtering that powder? You don't hear about thousands of people hacking up coloured goo for days after one of these events, but I still wonder.

Premise for my next futuristic dystopia novel: It turns out this stuff is lethal long-term, and in five years the most fun and coolest 10% of the North American population drops dead. With the other 90% left behind, minivan sales skyrocket. Eight new CSI shows get greenlit. Costcos spring up on every block.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:35 am

dgrant wrote:
Engmomma wrote:

I was thinking more about lining your airway and lungs with that stuff. If you're breathing mostly through your mouth while jogging, does your body have a mechanism for filtering that powder? You don't hear about thousands of people hacking up coloured goo for days after one of these events, but I still wonder.

It's simply another way of taking in carbs.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:28 am

Playing a little devils advocate here, but its sort of ironic to see all the "oh no someone is making money" sarcasm, because I am sure in a couple months when SportingLife and YongeSt 10k registrations open we will be back to the good old "Who cares if Sportinglife10k is a disaster, they give more money to Camp Ooch than evil old CRS"

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 am

O Z D wrote:Playing a little devils advocate here, but its sort of ironic to see all the "oh no someone is making money" sarcasm, because I am sure in a couple months when SportingLife and YongeSt 10k registrations open we will be back to the good old "Who cares if Sportinglife10k is a disaster, they give more money to Camp Ooch than evil old CRS"

Not me. If I'm going to pay $60 (or more!) to enter a big race like that, I want a quality event. That's why I register for the CRS event and not the SL10K event.

I already donate to charity directly, so I feel no guilt over not donating through race registrations.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Yeah, the colour race is cheesy and silly, and isn't a non-profit. I would never have run it.

Except that my 13-year-old daughter asked me to run it with her. We talked the whole way, and then danced together at the end.

Call me a sucker. But for that -- I'll happily slap down my $20 per entry.
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

DLS wrote:Yeah, the colour race is cheesy and silly, and isn't a non-profit. I would never have run it.

Except that my 13-year-old daughter asked me to run it with her. We talked the whole way, and then danced together at the end.

Yup, if people have fun and are active, who cares that it is for profit? As long as they are upfront that they are not donating 100% of the proceeds (i.e. not misleading people), then have fun!

I do many things (i.e. go to movies) that are strictly for profit. Do I enjoy them less since I know that the industry is making billions? Nope, not really.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 pm

eme wrote:
DLS wrote:Yeah, the colour race is cheesy and silly, and isn't a non-profit. I would never have run it.

Yup, if people have fun and are active, who cares that it is for profit? As long as they are upfront that they are not donating 100% of the proceeds (i.e. not misleading people), then have fun!

I do many things (i.e. go to movies) that are strictly for profit. Do I enjoy them less since I know that the industry is making billions? Nope, not really.

But many people do. They make exactly the same argument as the author in the story does "you put six cents worth of popcorn and one cent worth of butter in a giant paper tube and charge four bucks for it" and mention how much profit the movie industry makes and hope that it gels into a cohesive argument.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Was it really only $20? It's hard to see how they even are turning a profit at that.

At least one of them here was $50 (I can't remember which because each brand has been here in Vancouver).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Jwolf wrote:

Was it really only $20? It's hard to see how they even are turning a profit at that.

At least one of them here was $50 (I can't remember which because each brand has been here in Vancouver).

That's because Vancouver is not in corn country. The price of starch goes up in places like that.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's because Vancouver is not in corn country. The price of starch goes up in places like that.

That's what big starch wants you to think
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Jwolf wrote:

Wait for a groupon!

http://touch.groupon.com/deals/color-me ... obile=true

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 pm

dgrant wrote:
Engmomma wrote:

In an outdoor environment, would the concentration be high enough to be combustible?

Premise for my next futuristic dystopia novel: It turns out this stuff is lethal long-term, and in five years the most fun and coolest 10% of the North American population drops dead. With the other 90% left behind, minivan sales skyrocket. Eight new CSI shows get greenlit. Costcos spring up on every block.

Ok skip the match and throw flour over a camp fire. Just stand back.

Edit: YouTube Campfire + flour =explosion
Last edited by Engmomma on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I haven't heard of the Chilliwack Colour Run.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:15 pm

phorunner wrote:Not to sound like a variety of 4-7 letter expletives, but I do these things for myself. Yeah, it's nice when there's a charity that benefits, but mostly, it's something I do for me. It may sounds selfish, but I don't think I'm the only one.

+1... I'm with you. I pick races based on a lot of criteria, but which charity affiliation they have (if they have one at all) is pretty far down the list. I suspect most of these charity affiliations aren't that lucrative for the charity and are used more to grease the wheels for approvals and such.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “General Running Discussion”