Couple in 60s Sets New Marathon Record!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Couple in 60s Sets New Marathon Record!

Postby drghfx » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 am

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/01 ... hole-year/

Couple in their 60s set world record after running a marathon every day for a whole year

Jonathan Pearlman, The Telegraph | January 1, 2014 | Last Updated: Jan 1 8:32 PM ET

A couple in their 60s have finished running a marathon each day, every day, for the past year.

The pair ate up to 30 bananas each a day as they completed a trek of almost 16,000 kilometres around Australia.

The couple, both raw vegans from New Zealand, ended their journey with an extra marathon to their home in Melbourne at 5 a.m. on New Year’s Day to set the world record.

Janette Murray-Wakelin, 64, and Alan Murray, 68, rose at 4 a.m. each day and ran 366 consecutive marathons with no days off. Ms. Murray-Wakelin said she was looking forward to a break and planned to sleep in, do some gardening and spend time with her grandchildren — and then go running the next day.

“You don’t stop doing something that works,” she told Fairfax Media.

During the run, the couple skirted a cyclone, floods, a bushfire and a hail storm near Perth, during which they took a half-hour break and drank a vegetable smoothie before continuing through the heavy weather.

Janette Murray-Wakelin and Alan Murray ate up to 30 bananas each a day as they completed a trek of almost 16,000 kilometres around Australia. The couple, both raw vegans from New Zealand, ended their journey with an extra marathon to their home in Melbourne at 5 a.m. on New Year's Day to set the world record..Ms. Murray-Wakelin missed the birth of her fifth grandchild in June, but was running in south Queensland when a motorcycle rider called out her name and revealed he was a cousin she had not seen in 45 years. He apparently said “Good to see ya” before rushing off to work.

The couple’s standard day involved eating 10 bananas, a grapefruit, and a date smoothie for breakfast, then another 10 bananas at 8 a.m., a green smoothie at 9 a.m., a fruit salad at the 19-mile mark, three oranges at the 23-mile mark, before finishing at 4 p.m. and eating an avocado, vegetable juice and a salad for dinner.
“The first few weeks we were sore, breaking ourselves in,” Mr. Murray told ABC Radio. “After that, it actually became easier every day. I really don’t think we’ve had any days when we didn’t think we could make it. But we had a few longer days through extremes of heat. We had some 44 [C] degree days going up into Canberra.”

The run is understood to have beaten the world record set in 2011 by a Belgian, Stefaan Engels, who completed 365 marathons in a year.

Ms. Murray-Wakelin and Mr. Murray were assisted by volunteers who helped with supplies and driving a support van. They used the run to raise money for charity.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Couple in 60s Sets New Marathon Record!

Postby ian » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 am

I think I'd be torturing my body less by trying to run a marathon every day than by trying to eat ten bananas at a time three times every day.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:54 pm

ian wrote:I think I'd be torturing my body less by trying to run a marathon every day than by trying to eat ten bananas at a time three times every day.

:lol:
I was thinking along those same lines. I would need a truck towing a port-a-potty! :shock:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
ian wrote:I think I'd be torturing my body less by trying to run a marathon every day than by trying to eat ten bananas at a time three times every day.

I was thinking along those same lines. I would need a truck towing a port-a-potty! :shock:

30 bananas per day .... Crikey!

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:49 pm

5km wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:

30 bananas per day .... Crikey!

10 bananas as a single meal isn't as enomorous as one might think. It's a tad over a 1000 calories and 30 would be about 3300 calories or so. The average person takes around 2000 / day, and some athletes like Micheal Phelps are reported to have ingested over 10,000 calories per day during training; http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/08/14 ... -everyone/

If you really want disgusting, check this out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttC7KbE_uDo
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:53 pm

This couple's running accomplishment is hugely impressive! I want to do that when I'm 60. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

This is my friend Alana's parents -- they are the COOLEST. They spent years living with their kids on a sailboat in Papua New Guinea, then decided to run a barge in the canals of Europe for a change of pace. In 2000, they ran the length of New Zealand. Because of all that history, I didn't think this was very strange for them. :-) I expect to see them pulling all kinds of cool stuff like this until they're 100.

Alana's mum had breast cancer about 10 years ago I think, and that caused a big change in their diet and lifestyle: more running, and a raw food diet. they seem to be thriving on it, so even though it's not something I think of doing (at least not until I live in a sub-tropical climate!), it seems to be working for them.
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:57 pm

DLS wrote:This is my friend Alana's parents -- they are the COOLEST. They spent years living with their kids on a sailboat in Papua New Guinea, then decided to run a barge in the canals of Europe for a change of pace. In 2000, they ran the length of New Zealand. Because of all that history, I didn't think this was very strange for them. :-) I expect to see them pulling all kinds of cool stuff like this until they're 100.

Alana's mum had breast cancer about 10 years ago I think, and that caused a big change in their diet and lifestyle: more running, and a raw food diet. they seem to be thriving on it, so even though it's not something I think of doing (at least not until I live in a sub-tropical climate!), it seems to be working for them.

Very cool.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:33 pm

That's awesome!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 pm

There could be so much more to this story apart from food intake.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:There could be so much more to this story apart from food intake.

I really wish that hadn't been the focus of the article.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:20 am

It always is the focus when it comes to raw food and veganism. They also wore Vibram five fingers so minimalism would be the next topic before any actual running was mentioned.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 am

True enough -- and they are a bit focused on the food thing. Their website is "Running Raw", so they likely directed the interviews in that direction.

I just think it's cool that at 64 and 68, they aren't saying, "Maybe I should slow down..."
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Truly amazing...good for them.

I got hung up on the 30 bananas a day too though...If I eat more than 1 it plugs me up!

Return to “General Running Discussion”