Teacher missing after run

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Teacher missing after run

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I keep coming here to see if there is any news. :?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I keep coming here to see if there is any news. :?

That's exactly why I'm on here after school! I kept thinking of him all afternoon.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:02 pm

I hope they find him soon.

It's looking more like he might not have been on a run at all. Even so, this story has made me realize that regularly carrying my phone on a run is a really good idea. I started when my kids were younger and I would run near home. But now I still carry it for almost all my runs (other than races). Partly because it has become my music and podcast player of choice, but even when I run with friends I have carried it recently. I will from now on as a matter of course. If I ever go missing, at least one person knows how to find me (on Find My Friends).
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

No news, and the command post is still set up. I keep running through scenarios in my head (none of them good): hit and run, hit and pick-up, suicide... I did see a quote in one of the news stories saying that it's not believed he was under stress, though. So hopefully the latter scenario can be ruled out. It seems so unlikely that he wouldn't have been found, though, if he had collapsed. There are a ton of people out there searching all the streets and paths.
I am haunted by the vision of the guy I saw yesterday while running. It doesn't make sense that it would've been him based on timing, but man did that picture EVER look like the guy I saw. :(
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:13 pm

still Nothing new on the news here out west. It is definitely peculiar. :?
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Teacher missing after run

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 am

Still nothing, but the helicopter is still out. It's just so strange that with all these people looking in a fairly small area, with no tree canopy, that he wouldn't have been found yet. If he did collapse, it's not like he would've been hiding.
I think we will check behind the businesses on Brock St today in case he darted down an alley to pee. Again, I really don't think the conservation area is likely. I was up this morning at 6:30 and one of my first thoughts was "it's way too dark now to be running in the woods on ice".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

fabrun
Percy Williams

Postby fabrun » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:22 am

I am here in Whitby and I agree, even some of the usual running paths are ice covered and it is too dark to even attempt them. I checked a few out this morning and there is no way you can run on them. Saw the helicopter near the 401 moments ago. I hope he is found soon. :(

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm a few blocks away from their house, helicopters have been circling over us for days now... pretty nuts.

Trails aren't very passable right now, lots of ice and/or mush, doubt he'd have been in there running (especially at 6am when it's pitch dark!)... especially not off the main trails.

BTW they've just updated the story, now he may have been missing as early as Sunday night. Might not be a story about going missing on a run at all.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:38 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I'm a few blocks away from their house, helicopters have been circling over us for days now... pretty nuts.

Trails aren't very passable right now, lots of ice and/or mush, doubt he'd have been in there running (especially at 6am when it's pitch dark!)... especially not off the main trails.

BTW they've just updated the story, now he may have been missing as early as Sunday night. Might not be a story about going missing on a run at all.

jono

I saw that update. Strange.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:42 pm

purdy65 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I'm a few blocks away from their house, helicopters have been circling over us for days now... pretty nuts.

jono

Press conference was just on, very odd.

Sunday night he goes for a run, gone longer than expected, daughter tweets that he's missing. Then he returns home.

Then he's gone at some point between Sunday night and Monday morning... and this time doesn't turn up. Family says he's not depressed, no signs of anything like that.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
purdy65 wrote:

jono

Press conference was just on, very odd.

Sunday night he goes for a run, gone longer than expected, daughter tweets that he's missing. Then he returns home.

Then he's gone at some point between Sunday night and Monday morning... and this time doesn't turn up. Family says he's not depressed, no signs of anything like that.

jono

Very strange. I hope for the sake of everyone he is found soon.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I hope he is found safe soon. This is very concerning for sure. I never had him as a teacher but he coached both of my brothers at cross country.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 pm

What a very strange story...can't really comment further because with the update, the "what's happened?" possibilities definitely expand. It seems like this is not going to have a happy ending, but I hope that I'm wrong about that.

Like yesterday, I'll be checking here and one or two news sites for updates. Fingers crossed it somehow does turn out okay.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Not liking how so much information has been withheld and that tweet being deleted seems odd. Starting to feel like all my running around the neighbourhood and wandering the trails is probably not the most productive way of searching.
If he wasn't supposedly wearing dark clothing it seems like he'd have been found by now. Not really sure he went running after all.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm

So hopefully their "source" is reliable, would hate for this to be speculation...

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2014/0 ... chers-desk

A source tells Newstalk 1010 an investigation was launched last week after a sum of money was found in Boucher's desk at Bowmanville High School.

jono
Visit my blog!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 pm

jonovision_man wrote:So hopefully their "source" is reliable, would hate for this to be speculation...

A source tells Newstalk 1010 an investigation was launched last week after a sum of money was found in Boucher's desk at Bowmanville High School.

jono

But as they said, he was responsible for many extracurriculars - as my sister who teaches at the same school is, and is often collecting money - trips to NYC, dance material etc - she often has cash - I don't think she leaves it in her desk though.....
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 pm

It's very odd that she posted the tweet on sunday saying he was missing for 3 hours deltetes it, then adds this one the next day....

bettina boucher @bettinaboucher 2d
My dads been missing since 6am. Grey hair, glasses, Wearing running clothes. Jeff Boucher. If seen contact Police. pic.twitter.com/9bGHuMtWzc

The whole story seems odd...

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

This is giving me deja vu about a situation eight years ago in which an incredibly bright university student went missing in Edmonton one summer night. Dozens of us spent an entire day putting up posters and combing through the river valley, looking for signs of a bicycle accident. It wasn't until they found his body in the river a week later that the family divulged that the kid wasn't as happy-go-lucky as he seemed.

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:39 pm

ian wrote:It wasn't until they found his body in the river a week later that the family divulged that the kid wasn't as happy-go-lucky as he seemed.

That is part of the stigma of mental illness. I was very proud of the fact that when George Smitherman's husband went missing, they were up front about the fact that he'd suffered from depression. I'm not saying that Mr Boucher is depressed, but recognizing that most families don't want to acknowledge it.

I'm hoping for the best with this situation.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm

I remember that Edmonton missing young man, and also the missing soldier... :(
Just call me the thread killa

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:18 pm

jonovision_man wrote:So hopefully their "source" is reliable, would hate for this to be speculation...

jono

From CBC:
"But [Durham Regional Police Sgt.]van Rooy said there is no reason to investigate anything in regard to theft or missing money or to believe that Boucher is involved with anything criminal. She said it is possible Boucher "stepped away" voluntarily. If that is the case, she urged him to get in touch with police to let them know he is safe."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/j ... -1.2497891
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm following the thread just not sure what to think at this point. :?
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm

bruyere wrote:

jono

From CBC:
"But [Durham Regional Police Sgt.]van Rooy said there is no reason to investigate anything in regard to theft or missing money or to believe that Boucher is involved with anything criminal. She said it is possible Boucher "stepped away" voluntarily. If that is the case, she urged him to get in touch with police to let them know he is safe."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/j ... -1.2497891

Yeah, watched that news conference. She also said they were "aware" of the accusation, then said "but I'm not confirming that", then said it had nothing to do with their investigation.

But taken in conjunction with the wife's comments on Monday:
"Could this be a midlife crisis of some kind, where something bothered him at work, and he just wants to run away? I don't know,"

I'm not so convinced it's not related to his disappearance. We'll see I guess - him taking off of his own accord is probably best case at this point.

jono
Visit my blog!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah, a lot of stuff doesn't add up about this. It's not that unusual for him to have money in his desk if he plans field trips, etc (and most desks have a drawer with a lock). What IS unusual is that someone searched his desk and that he was being investigated.
The deleted tweet is unusual but perhaps the family just wanted to avoid the public speculating about her dad the way we are. :(
My guess, unfortunately, at this point is that he'll be found in the lake. Awful as that sounds. It's just so disturbing.

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:42 pm

This whole deal has too many question marks attached - what aren't the cops saying ???
"You're in over your head Donny..."

Return to “General Running Discussion”