Bill Crothers

Re: Teacher missing after run

Postby Tisha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 am

So sad.

rambo999
Johnny Miles

Postby rambo999 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Boucher's mom said in the Star artile that he has done 6 marathons.
How come no race information stats on him in sportstats.ca? Unless he did his races outside of Canada.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

rambo999 wrote:Boucher's mom said in the Star artile that he has done 6 marathons.
How come no race information stats on him in sportstats.ca? Unless he did his races outside of Canada.

Not every race uses sportstats.ca
I've done 6 marathons and I doubt my name is there.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

I stalked him too on RoadRaceResults.com and didn't find anything. Maybe he did US/Int'l marathons.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
rambo999 wrote:Boucher's mom said in the Star artile that he has done 6 marathons.

+1, just searched myself and only found one marathon and one half. The half was from the 2013 Sask Marathon, but my other 3 times from previous years are not in there.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Habs4ever wrote:

You have 3 results - Manitoba Marathon 2012 (half), Vancouver Marathon 2011 and 2012.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Couldn't find him on Athlinks, either.

But you know mothers... they think a road race of any distance is a "marathon." ;) :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Apparantly he ran in some of the 5Peaks races.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 pm

I have him on sportstats in the 2011 Good Life half, and a few 5 peaks trail races. Very dated though.

Check "Jeff Boucher" not Jeffery.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Teacher missing after run

Postby BJH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm

I checked marathonguide.com

There's a 49 year old Jeffrey Boucher in the 2010 Chicago Marathon results. That matches up.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Also Cincinnati Flying Pig in 2008.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:41 pm

La wrote:But you know mothers... they think a road race of any distance is a "marathon." ;) :lol:

Plus, I don't think my husband (who has been at every single one of my races, either racing or spectating) could tell you how many marathons I've run. Never mind my mother.

One thing that makes me think that he may have simply "disappeared himself" is this sequence of events:

1) He goes for a run Sunday night, and is gone longer than usual, to the point that his daughter posts something on Twitter. I think it was maybe about 3 hours in total that he was away from the house?

2) He is gone the next morning when the rest of the household wakes up, and it is assumed that he went for his usual 6:00 a.m. run.

Even some of the most hardcore runners I know don't typically follow a long run in the evening with an early run in the morning. Even if the early run was "only" about 10 km. And especially not in the middle of winter when it's cold and the regular running paths are icy. It would not surprise me to learn that he was away longer than planned on Sunday night because he was wrapping up the final details for his Monday morning departure.

Unfortunately, this does not preclude the idea that his final destination may have been the lake, as has been proposed. :(
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
La wrote:But you know mothers... they think a road race of any distance is a "marathon." ;) :lol:

Plus, I don't think my husband (who has been at every single one of my races, either racing or spectating) could tell you how many marathons I've run. Never mind my mother.

One thing that makes me think that he may have simply "disappeared himself" is this sequence of events:

1) He goes for a run Sunday night, and is gone longer than usual, to the point that his daughter posts something on Twitter. I think it was maybe about 3 hours in total that he was away from the house?

2) He is gone the next morning when the rest of the household wakes up, and it is assumed that he went for his usual 6:00 a.m. run.

Even some of the most hardcore runners I know don't typically follow a long run in the evening with an early run in the morning. Even if the early run was "only" about 10 km. And especially not in the middle of winter when it's cold and the regular running paths are icy. It would not surprise me to learn that he was away longer than planned on Sunday night because he was wrapping up the final details for his Monday morning departure.

Unfortunately, this does not preclude the idea that his final destination may have been the lake, as has been proposed. :(

Unless he never really did come home on Sunday night and they changed the story because they didn't report him missing until the next day? Something is off for sure. I can't imagine walking away from your life with nothing though. No money, no ID, no vehicle, nothing.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

Unless he never really did come home on Sunday night and they changed the story because they didn't report him missing until the next day? Something is off for sure. I can't imagine walking away from your life with nothing though. No money, no ID, no vehicle, nothing.

If he did just walk away, who knows how long he was planning it? Fake ID is not hard to get, set up a bank account using the fake ID... It's all just idle speculation.

One former friend just walked away from his life, though he at least had the decency to leave a note and gave her the house, the place in Florida, and all but a minimal amount of money. The only thing he took was their old car. I've not talked to him since. I don't understand it.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:23 pm

The reports keep mentioning that he is known to cover up to 15 kilometers in an hour. That information likely made the original search far wider than necessary.
Hardly any person does 15km at that rate unless they are elite or doing a time trial.
Mr, Boucher's 16 year old daughter finished ahead of him at the 5 peaks race.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

CBC News wrote an article today "How to Disappear without a Trace"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/jeffrey-b ... 93?cmp=rss

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:27 pm

That was an interesting read. I also thought of the Miriam Makhniashvili case when I heard about this one. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he took his own life in a place they haven't checked yet, or in a way that would make it hard/impossible to find his body. Not everyone leaves a suicide note (and I'm sure there's a whole psychological assessment of the type of person who does vs. those who don't).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm

I am reading Dan Brown's new book "Inferno" and in it, a company exists to help people disappear, among other things. He has changed the name of the company, but I found this online. It probably would be easier than we'd think to disappear. Still though... A teacher's pension (fairly comfortable and secure retirement) would be tough to just walk away from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:09 pm

La wrote:That was an interesting read. I also thought of the Miriam Makhniashvili case when I heard about this one. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he took his own life in a place they haven't checked yet, or in a way that would make it hard/impossible to find his body. Not everyone leaves a suicide note (and I'm sure there's a whole psychological assessment of the type of person who does vs. those who don't).

I'd agree with you on this.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that case in a while - I googled it and had no idea she'd been found.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:52 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:That was an interesting read. I also thought of the Miriam Makhniashvili case when I heard about this one. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he took his own life in a place they haven't checked yet, or in a way that would make it hard/impossible to find his body. Not everyone leaves a suicide note (and I'm sure there's a whole psychological assessment of the type of person who does vs. those who don't).

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that case in a while - I googled it and had no idea she'd been found.

I too agree with La on this.
I know two families whose daughters committed suicide; in both cases no notes were left.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

That case really highlights the impact on the family... the father was under a cloud of suspicion, then eventually lost it and stabbed three people. He was still in prison while his daughter was being buried.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 am

Two things about this make me sad:
- if he had an accident running, it is something that very easily could happen to myself or any of us
- if he disappeared, it makes me sad that he may not have had anyone to talk to about his problems

I hope if something happened to him, he is found soon.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am

I completely agree, and I also think it's horribly sad that someone with such a "good" life on the outside (seemingly close family, good job, good health) could possibly be so sad on the inside if he disappeared or took his life.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 am

QuickChick wrote:I completely agree, and I also think it's horribly sad that someone with such a "good" life on the outside (seemingly close family, good job, good health) could possibly be so sad on the inside if he disappeared or took his life.

Of course, there is also the possibility that he had a secret life (i.e.: another relationship), and he left the life we've been reading about for that. It sounds farfetched but it happens.

I wonder if we'll ever know. And add me to the list that followed the Miriam Makhniashvili case and was stunned at the news that her remains had been found such a long time after she disappeared.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm

n_fraser wrote:Two things about this make me sad:
- if he had an accident running, it is something that very easily could happen to myself or any of us
- if he disappeared, it makes me sad that he may not have had anyone to talk to about his problems

I hope if something happened to him, he is found soon.

You've put into words what I feel about this story.

Return to “General Running Discussion”