Music While Running

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

skinnybopper71
Percy Williams

Music While Running

Postby skinnybopper71 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:33 pm

I usually listen to Journey, Van Halen, Tesla..maybe a Kenny Chesney tune when I run....Today, I wanted to learn a Metallica song on guitar so I wanted to listen to it while I run and think about the different sequences, riffs , solos etc.....Well I listened to the whole album Kill em All.....!!!....It was one of the best runs in a long time....63 min 11.km....the speed and tempo kept me going....!!!!!.....What does everybody else listen to....????

Ernest from the Soo

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Re: Music While Running

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:01 pm

I just load my Shuffle up with a mix of high energy rock tunes - some of what you mentioned above (Van Halen, Tesla, Metallica), and lots of other rock/metal bands: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Airbourne, Alice Cooper, Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Badlands, Bif Naked, Big Sugar, Big Wreck, Billy Talent, Black Keys, Boston, Buck Cherry, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, The Clash, Collective Soul, CCR, The Cult, Danko Jones, The Darkness, David Lee Roth, Def Leppard, Dokken, The Doughboys, Elvis Costello, Eminem, Everclear, Extreme, Foo Fighters, The Four Horsemen, The Georgia Satellites, Goo Goo Dolls, G'n'R, Headstones, I Mother Earth, Iggy Pop, Iron Maiden, Jane's Addiction, Jet Set Satellite, Joe Satriani, John Mellencamp, Judas Priest, Kick Axe, Kid Rock, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Limblifter, Megadeth, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ministry, Motley Crue, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Oasis, Odds, The Offspring, Our Lady Peace, Ozzy Osbourne, P!nk, Paul Westerberg, Pearl Jam, Pluto, Poison, Queen, Queens of the Stoneage, Quiet Riot, R.E.M., Rage Against The Machine, Ramones, Rancid, Ratt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, The Rolling Stones, Skid Row, Slash, Sloan, Smash Mouth, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Tin Foil Phoenix, Tom Petty, The Tragically Hip, The Trews, U2, Velvet Revolver, W.A.S.P., The Waking Eyes, The Watchmen, Weezer, Whitesnake, The Who, ZZ Top, 54-40...

...and many, many more. :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Yesterday, I forgot my iPod so ended up humming the last tune I'd heard before I left the house: the jingle on the Weather Network that's played when they show the local forecast. :roll: I hummed that tune to myself for 57 minutes!! That's one boring earworm! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

La wrote:Yesterday, I forgot my iPod so ended up humming the last tune I'd heard before I left the house: the jingle on the Weather Network that's played when they show the local forecast. :roll: I hummed that tune to myself for 57 minutes!! That's one boring earworm! :lol:

Robby Burns Day I had this stuck in my head for about 6.5 kms :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJflQfNUE8

That's annoying ! :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

I tend to listen to podcasts more than music when I run, but more on easy runs than workouts. If I have a run where I really want to focus on my pace, I tend not to listen to anything.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm

erinmcd wrote: If I have a run where I really want to focus on my pace, I tend not to listen to anything.

That's when I most like to listen to music. :)

I also listen to podcasts (mostly TWiT, RadioLab, and Another Mother Runner now), but I love my music. Currently my favorites are Imagine Dragons, the Killers, Robin Thicke, BareNaked Ladies, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bruno Mars, P!nk, Katy Perry, and Miley Cyrus but I have a huge mix of pop, rock, indie rock, and acoustic music in my library.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I have a mix of random songs that I have been building and adapting for years... I rarely remove songs from the list so some of them are old, but when I hear a new song that I like, I'll add it. The ideal running music for me is either high energy with a fast beat or really angry (like Eminem or MCR). But there's a bit of everything in my mix. OK not everything... no old school rock, no country. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:34 pm

I have a little bit of everything on my iPod, but my preference is heavily skewed towards hip hop from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. I'd list the groups but odds are you've never heard of them so it won't matter, LOL :D

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I used to listen to music. Recently I have taken to mentally drafting strongly worded letters of complaint to the prime minister

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Yesterday, I was chained to the dread-mill, ahem, TREADmill. I spent a long 30 mins watching inspirational running videos on Youtube.

Hey, man...whatever gets you through....

Other than that, I tend to play full albums: Daft Punk, Feist, Florence and the Machine (Kiss with a Fist is an embarrassing but remarkably effective motivator), Avicii, Santana's Supernatural album)...

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 pm

A very random mix of stuff! I can't do podcasts though, or audio books, or talking in general. I have pop, rock, hip hop, country, alternative... I find running to be a great way to listen to an album. The last few runs I've rediscovered one of my favourite albums, PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me". She's a VERY acquired taste but I love the tension and the interesting tones/time signatures/tension in the music. It's also one of my favourite drum albums.

If you like heavier stuff, I often find Rage Against the Machine to be great for running.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 pm

DLS wrote:Yesterday, I was chained to the dread-mill, ahem, TREADmill. I spent a long 30 mins watching inspirational running videos on Youtube.

Hey, man...whatever gets you through....

Other than that, I tend to play full albums: Daft Punk, Feist, Florence and the Machine (Kiss with a Fist is an embarrassing but remarkably effective motivator), Avicii, Santana's Supernatural album)...

you don't find Feist too mellow? I think I'd start walking. :lol:

I do have Florence though! Kiss with a Fist is awesome. Also some P!nk. Killers, DMB, Lady Gaga, MCR, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys (need to add some stuff from the new album), Panic at the Disco, the Ting Tings, Scissor Sisters, Mika, Paramore, BEP, Hawksley Workman, Hot Hot Heat, and some other randoms.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Midge wrote:I used to listen to music. Recently I have taken to mentally drafting strongly worded letters of complaint to the prime minister

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

:D :D :D
"You're in over your head Donny..."

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Today I ran for 45 minutes to Irish Descendants "Gypsies & Lovers". :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 pm

ultraslacker wrote:you don't find Feist too mellow? I think I'd start walking. :lol:

Sometimes I don't mind mellow/slower music -- when I into an easy run I just get into a groove and I just float along.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Jwolf wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:you don't find Feist too mellow? I think I'd start walking. :lol:

Sometimes I don't mind mellow/slower music -- when I into an easy run I just get into a groove and I just float along.

Thanks when I use it, too.
Deanna

Running in memory of Porter.
"Make voyages. Attempt them. There's nothing else."

Chilly Half Mar 4th - 2:03:33
Around The Bay Mar 25 - 3:10:19 - PB (de facto, but still!)
NF Womens Half June 4 - 1:59:00 - PB!
Portland Half Oct 7 - 1:59:15
Gorilla Run - 17k - DONE
ING NYC Marathon Nov 4 -- DNS, care of Hurricane Sandy
Philly Marathon Nov 18 -- 5:03:40 -- but completed!

Miami Half 2:24
Chilly Half 2:24

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am

Interesting comments about listening to entire albums while running. I haven't done that since I first started running on the TM and would listen to my Walkman cassette player. :lol: I had a tape with Oasis, What's The Story Morning Glory on one side, and The Cranberries, To The Faithful Departed on the other. One of my first running goals was to be able to get to the end of Champagne Supernova before I had to take a walk break. :lol:

Maybe I should go back to listening to albums again. :think:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 am

I refuse to completely divulge my play list, as it will demonstrate my age and decidedly retro taste in music. I will give some hints.

Great 70's stuff like Meatloaf, Eagles, Journey, Queen etc, but hey, what are the 70's to a female my age without some Partridge Family and Bay City Rollers. I confess - but hey don't knock it until you try it - I Think I Love You has a great beat for running! :oops: :oops:

I do have some more recent stuff - lots of Kelly Clarkson, Rhianna, Usher, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, but really, who has a better running beat than Madonna. :oops: :oops:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 pm

La wrote:Yesterday, I forgot my iPod so ended up humming the last tune I'd heard before I left the house: the jingle on the Weather Network that's played when they show the local forecast. :roll: I hummed that tune to myself for 57 minutes!! That's one boring earworm! :lol:

On one run this summer, my ipod had died, and I ended up with the Thomas the Train song stuck in my head for the run. "They're two, they're four, they're six, they're eight! Hauling trucks and shunting freight!" Ugh.

My running playlist is a fairly eclectic mix, leaning towards alternative. The most recent additions are Right Round by Flo Rida, This Is The Best by USS, Cough Syrup and My Body by Young the Giant, Anything and Hands Up by Hedley and Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson. My iTunes wishlist also contains a ton of weird stuff, and I am ok with that :)

I am loving Anything right now, especially when I am in the middle of a tough run, it starts telling me that I can do anything. Perfect.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Darth Tater wrote:I just load my Shuffle up with a mix of high energy rock tunes - some of what you mentioned above (Van Halen, Tesla, Metallica), and lots of other rock/metal bands: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Airbourne, Alice Cooper, Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Badlands, Bif Naked, Big Sugar, Big Wreck, Billy Talent, Black Keys, Boston, Buck Cherry, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, The Clash, Collective Soul, CCR, The Cult, Danko Jones, The Darkness, David Lee Roth, Def Leppard, Dokken, The Doughboys, Elvis Costello, Eminem, Everclear, Extreme, Foo Fighters, The Four Horsemen, The Georgia Satellites, Goo Goo Dolls, G'n'R, Headstones, I Mother Earth, Iggy Pop, Iron Maiden, Jane's Addiction, Jet Set Satellite, Joe Satriani, John Mellencamp, Judas Priest, Kick Axe, Kid Rock, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Limblifter, Megadeth, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ministry, Motley Crue, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Oasis, Odds, The Offspring, Our Lady Peace, Ozzy Osbourne, P!nk, Paul Westerberg, Pearl Jam, Pluto, Poison, Queen, Queens of the Stoneage, Quiet Riot, R.E.M., Rage Against The Machine, Ramones, Rancid, Ratt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, The Rolling Stones, Skid Row, Slash, Sloan, Smash Mouth, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Tin Foil Phoenix, Tom Petty, The Tragically Hip, The Trews, U2, Velvet Revolver, W.A.S.P., The Waking Eyes, The Watchmen, Weezer, Whitesnake, The Who, ZZ Top, 54-40...

FAIL!!

there's no Rammstein or Motorhead in that list! :naughty:
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:54 pm

CAW wrote:
Darth Tater wrote:I just load my Shuffle up with a mix of high energy rock tunes - some of what you mentioned above (Van Halen, Tesla, Metallica), and lots of other rock/metal bands: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Airbourne, Alice Cooper, Alice In Chains, Anthrax, Badlands, Bif Naked, Big Sugar, Big Wreck, Billy Talent, Black Keys, Boston, Buck Cherry, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, The Clash, Collective Soul, CCR, The Cult, Danko Jones, The Darkness, David Lee Roth, Def Leppard, Dokken, The Doughboys, Elvis Costello, Eminem, Everclear, Extreme, Foo Fighters, The Four Horsemen, The Georgia Satellites, Goo Goo Dolls, G'n'R, Headstones, I Mother Earth, Iggy Pop, Iron Maiden, Jane's Addiction, Jet Set Satellite, Joe Satriani, John Mellencamp, Judas Priest, Kick Axe, Kid Rock, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Limblifter, Megadeth, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ministry, Motley Crue, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Oasis, Odds, The Offspring, Our Lady Peace, Ozzy Osbourne, P!nk, Paul Westerberg, Pearl Jam, Pluto, Poison, Queen, Queens of the Stoneage, Quiet Riot, R.E.M., Rage Against The Machine, Ramones, Rancid, Ratt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, The Rolling Stones, Skid Row, Slash, Sloan, Smash Mouth, Smashing Pumpkins, Social Distortion, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Tin Foil Phoenix, Tom Petty, The Tragically Hip, The Trews, U2, Velvet Revolver, W.A.S.P., The Waking Eyes, The Watchmen, Weezer, Whitesnake, The Who, ZZ Top, 54-40...

FAIL!!

there's no Rammstein or Motorhead in that list! :naughty:

Covered by:

:wink:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

The most recent albums I've listened to while running:

Pet Shop Boys - Ultimate Pet Shop Boys
One Republic - Native
Hedley - Wild Life
Rammstein - Made in Germany: Remixes
Tiesto - Club Life vol 2
Tiesto - Club Life vol 3
Jesus Jones - Doubt
Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
The Lonely Island - Turtleneck and Chain

Most of my other music I play on shuffle.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm

I don't always listen when I run, but when I do I am picky.

Not only am I picky about what songs I use, I often try to order my songs on purpose. Songs than slow build at the start, pump up songs, a few motivational kinda ones etc in the middle.

My Run/Workout playlists ALWAYS include:

Lots of Beastie Boys
AC/DC
Eminem
Social Distortion (Ball & Chain is a GREAT Warm up song)
Johnny Cash
Drive By Truckers
Supersuckers
Darude - Sandstorm

Lately have had lots of Jay-Z, B.O.B., and Avicii mixed in.

Sort of an eclectic mix :)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:54 am

I tend to listen to music podcasts when I run.

Not that I have anything against my own music, but its the one opportunity I get to explore and hear new stuff.

Some of my favourite music podcasts: Coverville, Morning Becomes Eclectic, Tiny Desk Concerts, All Songs Considered
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:29 pm

I have a wide range of music I like listen too. For my tempo/speed workouts I tend to listen to music that will motivate me to go such as AC/DC – Thunderstruck, Triumph – Magic Power to name just a smidgen. During my last marathon training, I was listening to The Who - Quadrophenia (both disc 1 & 2), Rush - Moving Pictures, The English Beat- Beat this (greatest hits) and New Order - Substance 1987 to name a few. I tend to listen to full discs during my long run as it saves on the frequency of changing my iPod list.

I’ve also created a 10K race mix that has more 80-90’s alternative stuff on it. Having every day is Halloween by Ministry or Jimi Hendrix’s Fire come up near the end of a race sure gets me going. Come to think of it, I should work it in to have The Ramones I want to be Sedated as I’m nearing the finish of a race. :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Return to “General Running Discussion”