Ottawa to Toronto run.

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Ottawa to Toronto run.

Postby Endorphineaddict » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:53 pm

A while ago I wrote a post describing how I had suffered a cardiac arrest towards the end of a half marathon. I had been without a pulse for somewhere between 5 and 7 minutes, while bystanders gallantly performed CPR. My life was eventually saved when paramedics arrived with a portable defibrillator (AED).

To celebrate the anniversary of that event I shall run (walk, stumble and crawl) from Ottawa to Toronto. The route I have chosen is 470 KM long and my intention is to run between 60 to 70 KM a day. On the 8th day I shall run the route of the marathon that I collapsed in last year. This time I intend to run the whole route!

I am outlining my journey, "From flat line to finish line", in my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/newlifemarathon

Please visit the link and if you have access to Facebook please 'Like' the page. I am training hard but it is the emotional support I need, and every 'Like' will carry me further.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ottawa to Toronto run.

Postby La » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Wow, quite the feat! Good for you. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I don't belong to face book but wish you a good journey.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Good luck! I've "liked". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:51 am

I've liked! Look forward to following your journey.

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 am

good luck

is a good thing you do
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 am

Thank you all so much. It is incredible what your support does for me.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 am

That's a very cool thing you are doing. I have liked your page.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:23 am

I don't have Facebook, but I wish you the best for your journey.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm

You definitely have my like. As I said I know you will enjoy every step. I ran the marathon with my son the day of your collapse--his first marathon--and ran by the young lady who collapsed during her first and sadly died. It all teaches us to appreciate more what we have, for as long as we have it. Good luck on your journey.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Awesome! I love a good challenge. I shall be watching for this one. Bon chance!
Hola!

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 pm

canalrunner wrote:You definitely have my like. As I said I know you will enjoy every step. I ran the marathon with my son the day of your collapse--his first marathon--and ran by the young lady who collapsed during her first and sadly died. It all teaches us to appreciate more what we have, for as long as we have it. Good luck on your journey.

It was indeed very tragic and made me even more grateful for my good fortune.

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:56 pm

mlazenby wrote:Awesome! I love a good challenge. I shall be watching for this one. Bon chance!

Thank you. It certainly will be a challenge and I am definitely looking forward to it.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Endorphineaddict wrote:
mlazenby wrote:Awesome! I love a good challenge. I shall be watching for this one. Bon chance!

Thank you. It certainly will be a challenge and I am definitely looking forward to it.

I see you're departing Ottawa on a Monday...I'm spending a fair number of weekends and Mondays in Ottawa these days...hopefully I can be there in May to send you off on your epic run :D

I have cowbell :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Endorphineaddict wrote:

I see you're departing Ottawa on a Monday...I'm spending a fair number of weekends and Mondays in Ottawa these days...hopefully I can be there in May to send you off on your epic run :D

That would be amazing. I need all the support I can get!

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm

I have "liked" your page as well, and will do my very best to see you off as well -- hey, depending on the pace you are setting off at, I can perhaps even log a few km with you! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:I have "liked" your page as well, and will do my very best to see you off as well -- hey, depending on the pace you are setting off at, I can perhaps even log a few km with you! :D

That would be awesome. Oh and don't worry, I shall be going very slow. I have had several people asking about running with me in Ottawa. Nearer the time I will finalize a few things but for now I am planning to start on Parliament Hill near to the Peace Officers memorial at 8 am.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 am

I also "Liked" and wish you the best. If you are looking for people to run with you closer to Toronto, please keep us in the loop.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 am

Well, my cousin's a doctor and he keeps reminding me that the original 'inventor' of jogging was a U.S. doctor who collapsed and died of cardiac failure while jogging.

We don't need bad publicity (hah!), so get yourself checked out, and by that I mean get a second opinion.

My very personal opinion is that endurance running (can be trails, preferably) is worlds apart from the usual 'pavement pounders' (tin foil hat on). Can you find a trail path - either partial or full? If you don't need to limit yourself to paved roads, don't!
During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am

Endorphineaddict wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Endorphineaddict wrote:

That would be amazing. I need all the support I can get!

Can I wear my Hula Girl costume...please 8)
p.s. The G&M has interviewed Hula Girl....just sayin :D :D :lol: :lol:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

What an awesome challenge!! :)

Sustain26 wrote:Well, my cousin's a doctor and he keeps reminding me that the original 'inventor' of jogging was a U.S. doctor who collapsed and died of cardiac failure while jogging.

Jim Fixx was genentically predisposed to an early death. He was overweight and a smoker into his thirties before he caught the running bug. He died at 52, his father had died of a heart attack at 43.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Sustain26 wrote:Well, my cousin's a doctor and he keeps reminding me that the original 'inventor' of jogging was a U.S. doctor who collapsed and died of cardiac failure while jogging.

We don't need bad publicity (hah!), so get yourself checked out, and by that I mean get a second opinion.

My very personal opinion is that endurance running (can be trails, preferably) is worlds apart from the usual 'pavement pounders' (tin foil hat on). Can you find a trail path - either partial or full? If you don't need to limit yourself to paved roads, don't!

Well BJH beat me to my first point, thank you BJH, indeed Jim Fixx is the simple example that those who don't hold up to justify why they don't and to taunt those who do.

I will try not to bring any "bad" publicity and as far as getting myself checked out, I have three cardiologists, a dietitian, a pharmacist, a family doctor, a doctor and nurse attached to my work and even a therapist, should I have encountered any emotional trauma due to my experience, (which I don't believe I have, but we all say that) So I make that a 1, 2, 3.... sorry I have lost count, opinions. I started running at the age of ten and I am now 48. I have run distances from 400 metres to 50 miles, and have divided my training between trails, tracks, tarmac and treadmills. (by tarmac I mean asphalt, but I was enjoying the alliteration). This venture was something I had wanted to do for several years but that really came into being as a solid idea in my hospital bed (I was hospitalized for three days due to cardiac arrest, May 5, 6, 7, 2013). The route is planned, my support team is planned and briefed. I have consulted with both Chris Finill who ran across America in 2011 and Curtis Hargrove who ran across Canada (both enormous fonts of knowledge and great inspirations to me). Sure there are still many minor details to sort out but we are well on the way.

Look I am sorry to sound flippant, (it is a little out of character) and I do genuinely appreciate your concern and advice, as it gets me to reflect on all those medical necessaries, but trust me. My eyes are wide open, I have a lifetime (almost literally) of experience, and I am fully embracing the the medical and rehabilitative process. It's just that I hope this journey stands for many things and is a celebration, and most of all I hope it is a celebration of running. The last thing I want to do is besmirch the name of running.

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I liked. Good luck!
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Endorphineaddict
Johnny Miles

Postby Endorphineaddict » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Pat29 wrote:I liked. Good luck!

Thank you very much :D

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Sorry, my bad. There is a 'publicity' angle to your effort (that precludes unpaved roads, let alone trails), and I'm sure (?) your support staff has or will ask(ed) all the hard questions. Best wishes! (AED stands for "Automated external defibrillator".)
During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

Return to “General Running Discussion”