Rideau Canal Pathway

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Rideau Canal Pathway

Postby ngcaper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Thinking of running on the pathway along the canal tomorrow for 3hrs...starting around noon. Anyone been down there lately and know if it's plowed. I'd likely start at Hogs Back, follow down past Carlton, cross the lock and plug through the snow until I hit Dows late, down to the Ott River and back with some side trips or back and forths to fill the 3hrs. Understanding we're calling for freezing rain tonight (yuck) I'm curious.

I had someone come waaaaaaay too close to me yesterday on the road which put a good fright in me, sadly it was about 15min after I had to take a detour because of two loose dogs that didn't seem so friendly. Strange run.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Rideau Canal Pathway

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:04 pm

ngcaper wrote:Thinking of running on the pathway along the canal tomorrow for 3hrs...starting around noon. Anyone been down there lately and know if it's plowed. I'd likely start at Hogs Back, follow down past Carlton, cross the lock and plug through the snow until I hit Dows late, down to the Ott River and back with some side trips or back and forths to fill the 3hrs. Understanding we're calling for freezing rain tonight (yuck) I'm curious.

I had someone come waaaaaaay too close to me yesterday on the road which put a good fright in me, sadly it was about 15min after I had to take a detour because of two loose dogs that didn't seem so friendly. Strange run.

leaving aside the issue of the freezing rain coming, it should be cleared of snow. There hasn't been any recent accumulation and they do a good job of plowing it- I've seen runners on all week.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Will be wet
Massive melting ice puddles

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm

I agree with what others have said. It is generally in good condition but with the warm weather and freezing rain in the forecast tomorrow it could be a mess by the time you plan to run.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone...I can live with being wet over 3hrs on the dreadmill...if it's too bad, well I'll just complain to myself and hop in a hot shower when I'm home.

Living this far out of the city I rarely see the canal so wasn't sure what to expect.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Return to “General Running Discussion”