Treadmill Guinness world record broken in Toronto

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 am

Hey Maniacs, I am sure that with the number of hamstermill runners here on RM, that we could put together a team to smash this 12 hour record ... Habs ?? Purdy ?? et al ... :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink: :dance: :dance: :dance:

http://runningmagazine.ca/treadmill-guinness-world-record-broken-toronto/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Treadmill Guinness world record broken in Toronto

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 am

We could beat them hands down! No contest!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:03 pm

it took me a second to understand that this record wasn't just about the time on the treadmill (which didn't seem that special), but the speed with which they were running. those women are fast!! 16.55 kilometres in an hour? okay, fast for me. :lol:

i think that would be a tough record to beat. :think:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:07 pm

deerdree wrote:it took me a second to understand that this record wasn't just about the time on the treadmill (which didn't seem that special), but the speed with which they were running. those women are fast!! 16.55 kilometres in an hour? okay, fast for me. :lol:

Just need to put Ian, MichaelMc and Robbie-T on it for the first 11 hours .. and, the rest of us could do 1 minute turns ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:43 pm

HCcD wrote:
deerdree wrote:it took me a second to understand that this record wasn't just about the time on the treadmill (which didn't seem that special), but the speed with which they were running. those women are fast!! 16.55 kilometres in an hour? okay, fast for me. :lol:

Just need to put Ian, MichaelMc and Robbie-T on it for the first 11 hours .. and, the rest of us could do 1 minute turns ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

there are different records for men and women, though. do you know what the men's record is? i couldn't find it with a quick search.

eta: i'm having trouble finding the 12-hour (team) stats. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Sea ... =treadmill

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 am

deerdree wrote:eta: i'm having trouble finding the 12-hour (team) stats. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Sea ... =treadmill

I was just looking at this too... is this a real Guinness record? They ran 171.7K .. but when you look at the team 24 hour record, it's 453km, which is way more than double. Seems like if it were an official record the people who did the 24 hour one broke it already by a mile in their effort.

4:17/km pace BTW, for those thinking of tackling it. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Female 24 hour is "only" 317 km so its not more than double than what the 12 hour is.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 pm

No it wouldn't.

16.55 is fast but not faster than the women's 5k winner at just about any local race. And that was the fastest leg - most of the times were 12-13-14.

Now that the record is out there, I wouldn't think it would be hard to put together a team to obliterate it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

No it wouldn't.

16.55 is fast but not faster than the women's 5k winner at just about any local race. And that was the fastest leg - most of the times were 12-13-14.

Now that the record is out there, I wouldn't think it would be hard to put together a team to obliterate it.

oh, i meant hard to beat in the context of an RM team, not in general (but maybe i'm underestimating us!).

it looks like you could grab the first 12 women off the acura 10-miler results list and beat the record. assuming they were willing to run on a treadmill for an hour.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm

deerdree wrote:it looks like you could grab the first 12 women off the acura 10-miler results list and beat the record. assuming they were willing to run on a treadmill for an hour.

That's the thing about so many of the Guinness records- they aren't always about who is really the best in the world- it's more who is willing to organize to do it (and get the record verified, etc). But no- we don't have 12 women on RM that are fast enough it to do that.

These women organized their attempt in coordination with a fundraising campaign, which is cool.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Return to “General Running Discussion”