Montreal Marathon

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Montreal Marathon

Postby Pat29 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:20 am

Has anyone run the marathon since it became part of the Rock n Roll series? I registered early because I have relatives running other races that weekend. I was not necessarily planning to run a pb there, Hamilton and Toronto Waterfront would have been my first choices for fast courses. Since I came close but missed my goal in Ottawa yesterday I am looking for a fast fall marathon to take another shot at it.

If anyone has comments on the course and organization I would be interested.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Re: Montreal Marathon

Postby canalrunner » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

I ran Montreal in 1979. It was my first marathon. It was sponsored by Molsons. There was free beer at the end. I don't remember much else. I think it may have changed a bit since then....although it was the same start on the bridge.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am

I ran the half 2 years ago, the first year it switched to being a Rock n'Roll series so I can tell you that the course changed a lot. Marathons and halfers now start together. And you will spent most of the half on Ile St-Helene running on the F1 race track too. I liked it because there was a lot of bands and lots of people on the course.

You will turn left near Parc Lafontaine and see all the halfers turn right to the finish line... Lots of people there! After, that I think it gets a little lonelier for the marathoners but I haven't run the marathon. I think there are a few hills on that 2nd part while the first part is mostly flat. Elevation profile here which corroborates what I just wrote: http://rnr-canada.compgroup.netdna-cdn. ... vation.jpg

I know you ran Philadelphia too, so I would think that the 2nd part is similar to that in terms of crowd and people.

Sorry Pat, that's the best review I can do for you!

ETA: Organization wise, enough water, enough food, free beer at the end, I thought it was well executed. Word of advice, get yourself on the metro EARLY, because eveyrone is taking the metro and you will see a few full ones leaves before you can get on it!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 28, 2014 11:48 am

2016 will be the 40th anniversary of the Summer Olympics in Montreal. It would be cool if they ran the marathon on the same route as they did back in '76. Doubt that will happen, though.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 am

I ran the Montreal Marathon is 2012 (first year it because a Rock N Roll event -- it is a fast course.... the second half if very quiet and lonely for sure -- it is very nice finishing up in the park, where there was a very festive atmosphere..... good luck!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:08 am

I ran the Montreal Marathon is 2012 (first year it because a Rock N Roll event -- it is a fast course.... the second half if very quiet and lonely for sure. The only "incline" I remember is when you come off Ile Ste Helene and cross the bridge onto the Island of Montreal. It is very nice finishing up in the park, where there was a very festive atmosphere..... good luck!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Return to “General Running Discussion”