Mississauga vs Toronto Marathon (May)

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Mississauga vs Toronto Marathon (May)

Postby La » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:19 am

The current mayor of Toronto is no friend of any marathons. :lol: It would be city council (or some committee) who voted to give them the race. In fact, Olivia Chow has a much closer relationship with CRS than anyone else.

ETA: and SL solved their problems this year (thanks to a new race director and her crew).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:I've run the Toronto Marathon the last three years and will moving to Mississauga same day this spring.

I feel that the Toronto Marathon and Sporting Life 10K races that are a disaster waiting to happen. Not all their own doing - certainly the Mayor and his droogs giving preferential treatment to Canada Running Series events is a contributor.

2012 occurrences of The Mayor yanking the Toronto Marathon finish line after yanking the date the year before, water shortage at the Toronto Marathon and finish line backup at the Sporting Life 10K due to lack of road closures are things that come to mind.

Mississauga supports its marathon. The Toronto Marathon is not supported by its city. The Toronto Waterfront Marathon is supported by its city but occasionally using nasty methods that make me remember that people in photographs with the city mayor meet unfortunate outcomes.

Yay, someone else to meet up with in Missy for an M&G on race weekend ... :) :dance: :dance: :dance: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:15 pm

In fairness, the finish line change was a originally because of construction at Queens Park, which would have forced a move of the Police memorial celebration at the same time. The cops won out on that one. BUT! Notice they haven't moved it back? Ontario place is a much better finish area IMO.

Also DB, to be fair, most of the issues between the two races don't have a lot to do with the mayor. I'm one to bash him when he deserves it, but not much of this debacle of date and course changes is on him.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:59 pm

HCcD wrote:
Double Bellybuster wrote:I've run the Toronto Marathon the last three years and will moving to Mississauga same day this spring.

Yay, someone else to meet up with in Missy for an M&G on race weekend ... :) :dance: :dance: :dance: :shifty:

You know I'll be there too :) I've run it 4 times and it keeps bringing me back! Nice to see that Dave will be there too....

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
HCcD wrote:

You know I'll be there too :) I've run it 4 times and it keeps bringing me back! Nice to see that Dave will be there too....

Sounds good. See you there Robin and Andy. Cheapest registration is until October 29 I believe. I was going to run it last year as I started working in Mississauga around this time a year ago but had a friend sign up for his first half marathon in Toronto and wanted to join in. And always a potential finish line hug from Lisa, that is what Toronto does have going for it.

And thanks to all, I appreciate the opportunity to tiptoe around issues and to be as factually accurate as my pal Rob Ford. 8)

Happy Thanksgiving.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Rob Ford aside, I love the city of Toronto and would go there in a second over Miss (I've spent time in both) as a destination marathon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm thinking about the TO half in the spring. It's a great course and I don't want to have to travel to Mississauga twice (kit pickup and race).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

QuickChick wrote:I'm thinking about the TO half in the spring. It's a great course and I don't want to have to travel to Mississauga twice (kit pickup and race).

Bummer .. would have been nice to see you and N again for a possible m&g ... :(

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:09 pm

QuickChick wrote:I don't want to have to travel to Mississauga twice (kit pickup and race).

I work in Mississauga. if there is Friday kit pickup as I expect, I will be happy to pick up kits for those who can't attend the expo.

And I signed up today. Wednesday is the last day for the cheapest entry rate.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:I work in Mississauga. if there is Friday kit pickup as I expect, I will be happy to pick up kits for those who can't attend the expo.

There is Friday pickup at the expo:

Friday, May 1st, 2015 - 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Saturday, May 2nd, 2015 - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 am

I'm in too...just registered as well, before the price goes up

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:I'm in too...just registered as well, before the price goes up

I must seem creepy! Am I right we both starting next year with the Toronto Indoor, Around the Bay and Mississauga Marathon?

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:I'm in too...just registered as well, before the price goes up

I must seem creepy! Am I right we both starting next year with the Toronto Indoor, Around the Bay and Mississauga Marathon?

LOL... that's true but "great minds". I'll be doing Uxbridge Half too probably and I know that's a race you do sometimes too lol...

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:10 pm

DB, thanks, that's good to know!! It may be back on the table then, depending.

"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:00 am

I'm leaning toward Mississauga 1/2 but won't commit yet...but likely will before the next price increase.
Carm

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Host Hotel already booked, but will probably register before next price increase, as well ...

I could also do race kit pick up on Saturday, as well ... :)

lim314159
Johnny Miles

Postby lim314159 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Can't go wrong with either race. I've run the Mississauga Marathon the last 2 years and miss the Toronto Marathon - so registered for Toronto Marathon for 2015.

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:56 am

I ran toronto once and mississauga full 3 times (along with the half many times!). I prefer Mississaga over Toronto for one main reason....when the full marathoners are down running on the Martin goodman path at about the 27-28 km mark you run right by the finish and get to hear and see all the half marathoners finishing. Mentally, that was very hard for me. Also, long that trail there are people walking (wandering) all over and getting in the way of the runners.

For those reasons I will not likely run Toronto again. Otherwise like everyone else said the course is nice, on a good day you will get decent crowd support at both races. I do like the downhill course for the first half of mississauga too.
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Who else is in?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Missy for me, and I believe Jes ...

Probably, gonna head to Boston Pizza for dinner, as it is so close to the Hotel ... :) :shifty:

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Me I'm in for the full again!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm

after all that debating, i decided on ottawa!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 am

Both races suck logistically for me (point to point), but I'm opting for GLTO this year since it's just that little bit closer to home (TTC accessible). I'm doing the Half, which I don't think has as many "cons" as the marathon does. And I've never done it before.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I am doing Toronto with my son--probably around 350 and pacing Ottawa at 4 hours. Love both races. Toronto is a faster course.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm in for the half as well, La! Well not in yet, but soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “General Running Discussion”