Missing Running Monday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Missing Running Monday

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:49 am

Good morning!

I haven't posted here in weeks because I haven't been running in weeks. :( My ongoing heel issue was diagnosed about a month ago as "insertional Achilles tendenopathy" and so I've been treating it with a combination of shock wave therapy, ART/related techniques, stretching, ice, heat and rest. The good news is that it's getting better. The bad news is that it's not as better as I thought. On Sunday I ran 8 km easy on the indoor track (my physio guy agreed it was time to test things), and felt great. No pain, maybe a tiny bit of discomfort if I really thought about it. Unfortunately, after my run my foot started to hurt again. So I'm not sure what happens next. It is not as painful as it was, and maybe it's okay to start running again while the healing process continues. I have an appointment on Wednesday night and won't run again before that.

So, it's been elliptical, some walking, some stationary bike. Bah. Nothing is like running! This was really brought home to me (yet again) yesterday morning. Ed and I were course marshalls at the Tannenbaum 10 K (local race), and even though I don't like 10 Ks, just seeing all those people smiling and enjoying being out there reminded me of just how great running is. Cannot wait until the day that going for a run is once again a normal part of my life. Patience, patience...

Anyway, I haven't kept up with the daily thread at all but will start checking in more regularly. I miss you guys!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Missing Running Monday

Postby Jwolf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Sorry to hear that, JB!

Curious--- did your physio recommend starting with an 8K run to test it out? I've had similar Achilles battles, and I've always had to start back very gradually- walk/run intervals with no more than about 10 minutes total running to start. Be patient, but there is a running at the end of all this...

For me-- I'm off to the gym soon for a treadmill run. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:48 pm

I've been taking it pretty easy for the last 6 or so weeks, but I think this is my week to start the comeback.

10km this morning at a brisk pace- headed down to Presqu'ile with Percy, for some off leash time on the frozen beach and trails.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Aw drat JB. I was hoping to hear it was better!

6.5K with 2:1's for me this am with strength and stretching after.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:12 pm

JB - so sorry to hear about your troubles!

Decided that the -21 WC was too cold for strollercize, with a still-a-little-sick baby, so opted for the TM. Thankfully, it was super cooperative this morning and I got in 8.5 km, including a pyramid of 400 m hill repeats .
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Jwolf wrote:Curious--- did your physio recommend starting with an 8K run to test it out? I've had similar Achilles battles, and I've always had to start back very gradually- walk/run intervals with no more than about 10 minutes total running to start. Be patient, but there is a running at the end of all this...

We didn't talk about it in detail, which in retrospect was a mistake. I probably should have been way more conservative, but it felt so darn good and to have absolutely no pain was just so nice that I went overboard. Walk/run for shorter distances is probably going to be the way going forward, though.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey JB, been a long time. Injuries really suck. I know, got one yesterday.
Out for a perfect LSD. Turned around at 8k and was starting to get some tightness in my right calf for some reason. Stopped and stretched it out a bit and seemed OK, but still there......13.5k into my 16k run, something got really unhappy really fast. Had to limp the rest of the way home. Nice day turned cold as I started to cool down. Couldn't walk fast enough to generate enough heat.
Could hardly walk down the stairs this morning. Pretty sure I tore a calf muscle, but no idea why. Nothing has changed and a nice slow 16k should be nothing for me to knock off.
Guess I'll get a lot of riding on the trainer for the next while.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the injuries to both JBE and FishHog. :( Not good.
Aqua fit this morning. Hill repeats this afternoon. 8x.25 mile, @ 6% @ 6 mph. Warm up and cool down for 10k.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:12 pm

FishHog wrote:Out for a perfect LSD. Turned around at 8k and was starting to get some tightness in my right calf for some reason. Stopped and stretched it out a bit and seemed OK, but still there......13.5k into my 16k run, something got really unhappy really fast. Had to limp the rest of the way home. Nice day turned cold as I started to cool down. Couldn't walk fast enough to generate enough heat.
Could hardly walk down the stairs this morning. Pretty sure I tore a calf muscle, but no idea why. Nothing has changed and a nice slow 16k should be nothing for me to knock off.

WTH? That really sucks. :(
Jacqueline
--------------

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Curious--- did your physio recommend starting with an 8K run to test it out? I've had similar Achilles battles, and I've always had to start back very gradually- walk/run intervals with no more than about 10 minutes total running to start. Be patient, but there is a running at the end of all this...

We didn't talk about it in detail, which in retrospect was a mistake. I probably should have been way more conservative, but it felt so darn good and to have absolutely no pain was just so nice that I went overboard. Walk/run for shorter distances is probably going to be the way going forward, though.

That's what I was going to say - 8K seems like a lot for a first recovery run. Regardless, it still sucks.

I had a decent run tonight. 6.8K in 41 minutes for a 6:01/km pace. I got it done right after work, which is my preference.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Nice 65 minute trail run this morning!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:57 pm

welcome "back", JB.

FH, sorry to hear about your calf. :/

I ran 11km today from my office in a loop around false creek. I went around 3 to try to beat both monsoon and darkness. Got just the beginning of each.

It was my first run in 2.5 weeks so I needed that.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:Good morning!

I haven't posted here in weeks because I haven't been running in weeks. :( My ongoing heel issue was diagnosed about a month ago as "insertional Achilles tendenopathy" and so I've been treating it with a combination of shock wave therapy, ART/related techniques, stretching, ice, heat and rest. The good news is that it's getting better. The bad news is that it's not as better as I thought. On Sunday I ran 8 km easy on the indoor track (my physio guy agreed it was time to test things), and felt great. No pain, maybe a tiny bit of discomfort if I really thought about it. Unfortunately, after my run my foot started to hurt again. So I'm not sure what happens next. It is not as painful as it was, and maybe it's okay to start running again while the healing process continues. I have an appointment on Wednesday night and won't run again before that.

So, it's been elliptical, some walking, some stationary bike. Bah. Nothing is like running! This was really brought home to me (yet again) yesterday morning. Ed and I were course marshalls at the Tannenbaum 10 K (local race), and even though I don't like 10 Ks, just seeing all those people smiling and enjoying being out there reminded me of just how great running is. Cannot wait until the day that going for a run is once again a normal part of my life. Patience, patience...

Anyway, I haven't kept up with the daily thread at all but will start checking in more regularly. I miss you guys!

And we miss you!

This sucks Jacquie. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I understand your frustration and am sending vibes that things improve soon.
(hugs)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Return to “General Running Discussion”