School me on sweat saltiness

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

School me on sweat saltiness

Postby Mark.AU » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Why is my sweat sometimes so salty I can barely keep my eyes open it stings so much, and other times not salty at all?
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Re: School me on sweat saltiness

Postby FishHog » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:49 am

lots of reasons as to why the level of saltiness changes. But I suffer from the same problem and halo headbands are the best solution I've found.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:12 pm

I heard or read somewhere that, to some degree, the level of salt in one's sweat varies with the level of sodium in one's bloodstream. So, if you had a high-sodium diet before a given run, your sweat may have a higher level of sodium in it.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 am

The salt level in sweat varies due to a number of factors, the main ones being salt in your diet and your hydration level. Your body tightly controls sodium levels and extremely salty sweat might indicate you have too much salt and/or too little water in your system,

Another factor might be the weather. If it is dry out your sweat evaporates , cooling you off & leaving salty deposits, when it is humid sweat doesn't evaporate it drips off taking its salt with it. If you get sweat in your eyes on a dry day it may have considerably more salt due to the extra salt on your skin.

Return to “General Running Discussion”