Beginners questions

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Glenny Van Halen

Beginners questions

Postby Glenny Van Halen » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 am

Hi all.
New to the site and hoping to get some insight, tips, etc. I have never been a runner but at 38 I want to start being more active.

I need to know: what is the biggest draw to running? I hear ppl say it is addictive - how so? What is the best way for me to get started?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Beginners questions

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 am

Welcome!

I think there are so many things that keep me running! The friends I've made, the things I've done that I never thought capable of, the stress relief and mental health benefits. This lists goes on!

Doing too much at first is definitely something you don't want to do! Join a learn to run club, or incorporate a run/walk program to start and build gradually.

Gradual build = lower risk of injury = consistency = improvement = enjoyment!

Good luck with it, and stay with us and let us know how it goes!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Most people start out with a combination of walking and running. You can get help with this via an app like couch to 5k: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/couch-t ... 74423?mt=8

It gives you a gradual build from walking to running, and a lot of people have success with that.

Make sure you have comfortable running shoes. There is some trial and error in finding the "right" shoes for you, but when you're just starting out it only matters that you're comfortable. If you are getting blisters or foot pain, you probably need different shoes.

Other than that, just take it slowly and expect it to be hard at first (that's normal!). I remember when I was just starting and it was SO hard, but if you keep at it then you will find that it gets better and more fun over time.

I don't consider myself addicted but some people get addicted to the endorphin rush that you get. For others it's the social aspects.

welcome here!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:02 pm

You have gotten some good advice here so far, so I will say welcome and don't give up if you are discouraged at first :D

Feel free to ask questions, there is a lot of experience (at all speeds) on this board!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Of all the advice I was given when I first started running, the best advice was to SLOW DOWN. Had I not taken that advice seriously, I would have given up shortly after I started. I still wore the wrong shoes and clothing but it didn't matter as much as slowing down.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:05 pm

My advice: it doesn't matter much what you're doing, as long as you're moving forward.

Don't overthink it. Don't start learning the lingo. Don't fuss over paces or plans or traing plans or anything that sounds like jargon. There'll be lots of time to overthink it later. Just run.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:13 pm

I agree completely with RobW's advice to slow down. I think it's very common for beginners to go too fast when they are first starting and that can add to the frustration by making things feel very hard. Don't get me wrong, running is hard when you first start, but there are also varying levels of hard. Don't make it harder on yourself by going too fast. It's not a race. At this stage the focus is to get your body accustomed to running. That takes time.

I'd also suggest you be patient, as running is not the type of activity that provides instant gratification. You aren't going to notice huge improvements overnight. Measure your progress in months and even years.

Will you learn to love running? That's something that only you will be able to decide. I love the fresh air, the feeling I get running in the woods, the stress release it provides and the alone time to just zone out and focus on nothing but running. When I first started running it was to lose weight and I have to honest, it was very hard. I'm glad I stuck with it though. It's no longer hard in the same way as it was when I started and it's become something that I truly enjoy and take comfort in doing.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:03 pm

turd ferguson wrote:My advice: it doesn't matter much what you're doing, as long as you're moving forward.

Don't overthink it. Don't start learning the lingo. Don't fuss over paces or plans or traing plans or anything that sounds like jargon. There'll be lots of time to overthink it later. Just run.

This x 1000
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Mark.AU wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:My advice: it doesn't matter much what you're doing, as long as you're moving forward.

This x 1000

What these dudes said. :D
The Summer of Eng is over.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:50 pm

It's totally normal to feel like you are going to die at the beginning. Every run I go on, I still spend the first 10 (or so) minutes wondering why the hell I am doing this? It gets better.

Glenny Van Halen

Postby Glenny Van Halen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:18 pm

FishPants wrote:It's totally normal to feel like you are going to die at the beginning. Every run I go on, I still spend the first 10 (or so) minutes wondering why the hell I am doing this? It gets better.

So exactly what does one feel when they get past that "Oh My God the couch seems like a better idea" stage...?

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Glenny Van Halen wrote:
FishPants wrote:It's totally normal to feel like you are going to die at the beginning. Every run I go on, I still spend the first 10 (or so) minutes wondering why the hell I am doing this? It gets better.

So exactly what does one feel when they get past that "Oh My God the couch seems like a better idea" stage...?

Like you could do this forever and at peace with yourself and the world. There is only the next step.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Engmomma wrote:
Mark.AU wrote:

This x 1000

What these dudes said. :D

yep.
Welcome to RM.
And happy running to you! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Welcome to RM! I concur with the advice above and would only add: run in a way that is as comfortable as possible for you right now. I was 15 years older than you are when I started running, with no previous athletic experience. I devised my own plan and thought I had invented run/walking! And even though my progress was slow, I took pride in my efforts. "Well, what do you know--look at me! Running!!" Good luck, keep at it, and keep posting here!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Yep.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Welcome to RM!!!

I started running when I turned 40.It's been 8 years and I can honestly say it was a wonderful "habit" that I started.

I hope that you keep posting here- it would be great to share your journey.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:57 am

It is wonderful that you have decided to become more active. I routinely say to people, do what you love. Thus take some time to make sure you love running but if you do not then move on and find something else to love. The end goal is the same... be active and move forward.
That being said, my advice is run with music, podcasts, a friend, a dog. It makes it less lonely.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:23 pm

All great advice: go slower then you think you should be running. It should feel more natural then forced. For now, do not worry about plans or any the technical stuff as noted, you will have more then enough time to over think and over analyze every run you did down to the last meter of distance and last second of pace. Consistency is a key - you want to form a habit so I would attempt 3 or 4 runs a week for at least a couple of weeks but do not be afraid to cut them short.

There is saying that I believe in and that is we are all an experiment of one. So at first, go out and do what you feel is natural, not what you think you should be doing or comparing yourself to others. And another cliche is to listen to your body - slow down, take a break and do not let ego or vanity get in your way. Advice I am attempting to apply to myself.

But if running is for you and you find your stride, then there are physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual benefits to be had. You can get lost in your own thoughts and there you can find peace and I can hardly believe I am writing this because if sounds very corny but also true for me, you can find a connection to the universe.

Return to “General Running Discussion”