Doping scandal at Nike?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Re: Doping scandal at Nike?

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 pm

[quote="Jwolf"] I don't think Goucher would put her career and family reputation on the line for "small potatoes". A lot more will come out in this story - we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

She said she first went to USADA in Feb 2013. Salazar has already smeared her name. If you really believe that this is all a case of people not liking their coach then you are falling into his pit of delusion. A lot of people believed Lance too- it's not that surprising but very disappointing.[/q]

She was coached by him for 7 years Nothing was happening for the first part?
What does "family reputation" mean?
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:42 am

Good summary, with links to other stories/background.
http://www.outsideonline.com/1994761/ev ... ng-scandal
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Tip of the iceburg? How do you know? All anyone knows for sure are the allegations that already came out.

From La's link, this is what Goucher's whinging appears to be all about.

Kara Goucher's Cytomel

Some of the most unpleasant allegations involve former-NOP runner Kara Goucher’s weight. Epstein recounts that in early 2011, a few months after the birth of her son, Colt, Goucher says that Salazar got on her case about losing post-pregnancy weight. Before the Boston Marathon, Goucher says that Salazar told her to take the thyroid drug Cytomel, against her doctor’s advice, to help her lose weight. Goucher kept the bottle of pills Salazar gave her but didn’t take any.

In response, Salazar says he asked Goucher to take Cytomel in 2011, but in August, not before the Boston Marathon, and that he was merely following Dr. Brown’s advice. He has produced emails from Brown dated August 2011 advising that Goucher take Cytomel. On Wednesday, Goucher told Propublica that Salazar was dissembling. “His story is a different timeline,” she said. “He’s trying to use Daegu to cover up Boston.” Propublica contacted Brown, who wouldn’t comment directly on Goucher’s allegations, but said he would never proscribe Cytomel for weight loss.

Probably guilty as Dr. Brown seems to contradict Salazar, but again...............small potatoes!

Goucher is the one presently ruining Alberto's name, not vice versa. Salazar just wrote a 12,000 word letter in response to the BBC story. Obviously she would've been mentioned in the letter because she was the one who made
one of the main allegations to BBC in the first place.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Those Goucher/Salazar emails read like the soundtrack from "The Bodyguard" :lol:
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:53 pm

An interesting article from Malcolm Gladwell in the New Yorker a couple of years back about genetics and doping:
http://gladwell.com/man-and-superman/

Return to “General Running Discussion”