Return

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Return

Postby runlolarun » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:19 pm

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I was a runner and a reasonably active member of this forum. I was really hoping for a daily thread today, but I guess I can't just slide back quite so quietly. Back in October 2011, I shredded my left meniscus like a piece of lettuce. I tried to rehab, hang in, lurked here but finally threw in the towel. In January of this year, 25 extra lbs later, I was finally fed up. Fast forward, now live in Verdun (Quebec, Canada) right at the start of the amazing waterfront park. Got a grip on myself and have finally shed the "I'm so sorry for myself" 25 lbs I had gained. Since April I have been doing 4 10K fast walks a week and I finally started free weights again about 2 weeks ago.

I have been missing (can even on a few occasions say I have been dreaming) about running since I was injured. Today I threw in about 3 K total of slow paced intervals into my walk. No pain! This settles it, I am starting couch to 5K tomorrow - I had been running mainly 1/2 K before being injured. Don't remember if there is a 5k at the Army Run, if so I am registering to keep me accountable and to have a goal. If not, I'll find something to keep me motivated. It is 8 weeks and 1 day until I turn 58. I want to give myself a 1/2 marathon as a birthday present on my 60th.
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".
Lewis Carroll

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Return

Postby La » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:28 pm

welcome back!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:32 pm

welcome back! and there is indeed a 5K at the army run!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Welcome back!
Talk about strange stuff...I was going through pictures on Friday and came across one of you and me! :D

I'm registered for the 5k at the Army Half. Let's keep in touch so we can meet up and then cheer for the HalfM people :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Welcome back!

There is actually a trail here named Run Lola Run. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:46 pm

That's terrific that you are back at it!! Congrats on shedding the extra pounds as well, that's awesome and not that easy.

runlolarun
Tom Longboat

Postby runlolarun » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 am

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone! I have moved my posts to The Scenic Route section for now, seems the appropriate place to chart my progress back. Have a local 5k to work towards (army run a little too rich for my budget this summer) in September and Im feeling great!
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".

Lewis Carroll

Return to “General Running Discussion”