Steamy Thursday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ian
Jerome Drayton

Steamy Thursday

Postby ian » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Waited too long in the morning to do 10K on trails and ended up with a 32C humidex.

Pet peeve: radio weather forecasts which always equate hot and sunny with happiness and good fortune, irrespective of the fact that half this country is on fire right now, many crops are on the verge of failing, and water restrictions might soon be needed for most urban areas west of Ontario.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Steamy Thursday

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Air quality is back down to "low risk" all over the local area-- only Whistler still has bad air. It does tend to get a bit worse here over the course of the day (just like most late summer days), so I ran this morning. 5K today. 8)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Jwolf wrote:Air quality is back down to "low risk" all over the local area-- only Whistler still has bad air. It does tend to get a bit worse here over the course of the day (just like most late summer days), so I ran this morning. 5K today. 8)

Where are you looking? Not all over the local area...

Air Quality Health Index (AQHI)
for Metro Vancouver NW
July 9, 2015, 8:00am PDT
Current AQHI: 4 Moderate Health Risk

Low end of moderate, yeah, but still moderate.
Yesterday evening, we got up to 6.
Squamish and Whistler are both 6.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:50 pm

I LOVED my treadmill run this morning. Outside OMG hot at 83F and humid.

Inside 71F with a fan induced wind chill.

Actually got that TM up to 6mph and a bit of a hill.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:26 pm

It was at 4 when I woke up this morning so I chose not to run. Currently it's 3 but going up to 5 later today (apparently).

The fact that I'm feeling it in my throat and chest even when I'm not running is a warning sign to me... taking it easy this week and I guess that means I'm starting my taper early. Hoping the rain comes through for Sunday/Monday, though I'm not fully confident in the forecast.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:39 pm

bruyere wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Air quality is back down to "low risk" all over the local area-- only Whistler still has bad air. It does tend to get a bit worse here over the course of the day (just like most late summer days), so I ran this morning. 5K today. 8)

for Metro Vancouver NW

I am looking in the same place I think. http://www.bcairquality.ca/readings/index.html

It was 3 this morning when I looked; "low risk" is 1-3. Still 4 is fine for me-- I don't feel anything and the general advisory for "moderate" (4-6) is:

"No need to modify your usual outdoor activities unless you experience symptoms such as coughing and throat irritation."

The only day it was really bad here (above 10) was Sunday. I went to the gym that day.

http://www.bcairquality.ca/readings/vancouver-nw.xml

Even for 7-10 they it says only to "consider" avoiding strenuous activity if you are experiencing symptoms.

Like I said this is the same as we often get in the hot hazy summer days, but people seem to be making a bigger deal of it this year.
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:47 pm

34 minutes running at 32 degrees. Good enough.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Jwolf wrote:
bruyere wrote:

for Metro Vancouver NW

I am looking in the same place I think. http://www.bcairquality.ca/readings/index.html

It was 3 this morning when I looked; "low risk" is 1-3. Still 4 is fine for me-- I don't feel anything and the general advisory for "moderate" (4-6) is:

"No need to modify your usual outdoor activities unless you experience symptoms such as coughing and throat irritation."

The only day it was really bad here (above 10) was Sunday. I went to the gym that day.

http://www.bcairquality.ca/readings/vancouver-nw.xml

Even for 7-10 they it says only to "consider" avoiding strenuous activity if you are experiencing symptoms.

Like I said this is the same as we often get in the hot hazy summer days, but people seem to be making a bigger deal of it this year.

Agreed on most points, but this is definitely not the same as we get on most hot, hazy days. From my window, I can see Grouse and the Lions. I've barely seen the Lions in days, and the details of Grouse aren't visible. This is my 4th summer in this spot and this is definitely not normal.

Interestingly, I noticed that the Weather Network and BC Air Quality showed different amounts for the same time earlier today, and I think it was a rounding thing. It was 3.6. TWN showed 3 and BCAQ showed 4. I don't think that difference of 1 makes much of a difference either way, of course. I was just really curious as to why the difference.

I ran the other night when it was 5, and played ultimate Tuesday and yesterday. Sunday, I was watching the World Cup Final through the haze in BC Place!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Sunday was insane for sure. In the 20 years we've lived here I've never seen anything like it. And you could smell the smoke everywhere. We were up the street from BC place watching it on TV at a pub, and you could smell it inside. I was wondering how the athletes were faring but there was never any talk of possible cancellation. Now people getting ready for Itonman Whistler are a bit worried but hopefully it will be better by then. There have been times in Penticton when air quality was questionable too, but everyone is remembering Lake Tahoe last year.

Air quality always gets worse as the day goes on so I like to get my runs done in the morning.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:47 pm

4 miles outside for me

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:26 pm

I will be heading out shortly for a hill repeats run in the shade. Even though the air quality is definitely better than the weekend my lungs are feeling it. Looking for a change in the wind to clear the air a bit. A good rain would be even better.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:29 pm

4 km to and from work.

My sister flew home to toronto from BC on the weekend and they could smell the smoke from their plane, which she said was very freaky!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Well that was gross, ended up walking quite a bit cause I feel like I was operating on only one lung.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:04 am

As I mentioned yesterday, there is a difference between bad air quality from wildfire smoke and regular haze/pollution... the smoke is apparently much more dangerous due to how fine it is and the various things it can contain.

I *have* been feeling irritation in throat and chest. I had been running on the weekend and on Tuesday, but haven't since then because I just don't want to take any chances or irritate it more than I need to. Need to protect my lungs for the future. :)

Here's what the girl from my run club posted:
I worked with the BCCDC last year on an evidence review of filtration as a way to control exposure to fire smoke in institutional settings (like hospitals). It was part of a series of evidence reviews they did to help guide public health practitioners in making decisions during wild fire smoke events. I've included the link to the BCCDC air quality page at the bottom of this post. There's some good information on what to do during wild fire smoke events and how to protect yourself and your loved ones from exposure.

One thing that's important to keep in mind is that it's not just the particulate matter that's of concern. While particulate matter is one of the main components of wildfire smoke, the smoke also contains carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds, mercury, ozone, and pollutant mixtures. Some of these compounds can cause short-term respiratory health effects (like eye irritation, cough and wheeze) and others can cause long-term damage. Some are known to be carcinogenic, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), benzene and free radicals.

Particulate matter in wildfire smoke is much finer than the particulate matter in urban air pollution (which means that we can breathe it deeper into our lungs). Wildfire smoke is highly variable in space and time. The concentration and the composition of wildfire smoke can be different from fire to fire (it depends on the fuel that is being burned) and the composition of a smoke plume from a single fire changes as the plume ages.

As Linda's post points out, it's the small particles or the gases (like carbon monoxide and ozone) that can penetrate deep into the lungs and do the most damage. This can happen at rest, but is more of a concern when we're breathing hard and taking more air in. Or, if we're part of a vulnerable population (someone with a compromised immune system, the elderly or children).

Echoing her post, it's not worth risking your long term health for the short-term endorphin hit. Stay safe out there!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “General Running Discussion”