Do you walk when you run?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Do you walk when you run?

Postby n_fraser » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Backstory - when I trained for my first full in 2013, I only took walk breaks when I was taking nutrition. My training has been off and on since then (another full, some 1/2s and shorter distances). I am getting back into it after some summer laziness and plan for a March 2016 1/2.

I'd like to get back into taking walks only during nutrition consumption, but I was wondering what you all do. 10 and 1s? Walk when you feel like it? Straight running? Right now I'm walking whenever I feel like it. I think my form has taken a hit after not being consistent all summer, so I need more breaks right now.

If you've gone from walking to running, how did you do it?

Your thoughts on this please!

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Do you walk when you run?

Postby carm » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:09 pm

After my pregnancy 2 years ago, I started back at 1:1 and regularly started doing 10:1 during my training. I did a half last fall while on mat leave, fell off the bandwagon last winter and then started running more regularly again this past spring. I did another fall half this year, still training at 10:1-20:1 depending how I felt. I race in the same way, except for 5k's. I never used to walk either but now I enjoy the break to refuel/drink and get my heart rate in check. Since I don't train at the same level of intensity/frequency as I used to, I have a more relaxed approach to running now. It works really well imo and I haven't been injured in a long time (knock wood).
Carm

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:24 pm

A long time ago I would take 1 minute walking for each mile.

Now I avoid walk breaks while road running (though that depends on my fitness level and the route...sometimes I walk on the road too!).

Since I do more trail running than road running, walking is a given... *most* people are at least hiking the bigger/steeper hills, and I hike *most* of the hills. In north van there is a ton of overlap between hiking and running. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:31 pm

I absolutely take walk breaks. I tend to alternate my long runs between steady and 10:1's That's mostly because I'm training to lead a pace group in 3 weeks, which will be using walk breaks.

Also, I have been known to do 2:1s for a recovery run. I actually really enjoy these -and that's what it's all about right? AND it allows me to keep my overall mileage as high as ever.

On the other hand I don't forget my steady/tempo/hill/fartlek runs either. I really don't want to become overly dependent on walk breaks.

For you, at this point, introducing walk breaks will help you get the mileage back up for next spring safely and gradually building fitness.

100% a fan of walk breaks for people in the scenario you describe.

Have I slowed down since I started using walk breaks more? Yes, but I'm also older as well - another reason for the walk breaks.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't build walk breaks into my runs, but I'll definitely do it if I need to. Typically that would be on very hot days where I need a breather or if I'm on a trail that dictates it.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Lately I've been taking walk breaks every 3K on a long run. Not on shorter runs. That works well for nutrition/hydration as it often matches up with aid stations in a race. But I'm not exact about it - I won't take a walk break if I'm on a downhill (will wait until it flattens out), and if there's a natural/logical place to take a walk break, I will deviate from the 3K interval. In a race, I'll match up my walk breaks with an aid station.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

bass5snake
Percy Williams

Postby bass5snake » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:38 pm

I walk for the first two minutes before I start running. I only walk after that when I feel the need for it.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:19 pm

I have been adding walk breaks to almost every run - as I have not been consistent and keep starting over (Some of this is health issues, some of it is motivation issues). When I am running, I will do my short runs continuous, but my long runs I walk every km. When I am over this plague and start over AGAIN, I will be doing lots of walk/run until my fitness level improves.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I follow the Running Room's pattern of 10 minutes running and 1 minute walking for all training runs and for all races longer than 10K.

Caocao
Tom Longboat

Postby Caocao » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Question: when you do 10:1 do you increase your pace while running to make up for the 1 min walk?

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Caocao wrote:Question: when you do 10:1 do you increase your pace while running to make up for the 1 min walk?

Not really, I just find that in half marathons and marathons the 10 and 1 pattern allows me to keep a pretty consistent pace right to the finish.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Well if you have a goal, and take walk breaks your running pace will be quicker than if you ran steady but you will find that easier to do with walk breaks
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”