IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIFA...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIFA...

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:13 am

Pretty impressive when you can up the ante on FIFA corruption:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summe ... -1.3309662

So UCI, FIFA, IOC, and now the IAAF. Why would anyone put any confidence in these international sporting federations?? They're just brutal, each one of them.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 am

Yikes Dick Pound is suggesting Russia be banned from all competition in 2016. I'm sure that'll go over well in an Olympic year... :shock:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
purdy65
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby purdy65 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:30 am

Wow... Nasty stuff. For the record, I hope they are banned. It is the only way the IAAF can demonstrate they are committed to cleaning up the sport.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm

purdy65 wrote:Wow... Nasty stuff. For the record, I hope they are banned. It is the only way the IAAF can demonstrate they are committed to cleaning up the sport.


Agreed.

My favourite part was when Pound said he hoped Russia would voluntarily withdraw and clean up its program. Yeeeeeah right :lol: And right on cue they're already spewing denials, claiming it was politically motivated, etc.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
drghfx
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9781
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:49 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby drghfx » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:31 pm

...and the US, Canada and all the other countries are squeaky clean.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

drghfx wrote:...and the US, Canada and all the other countries are squeaky clean.


Name just one not-so-clean person from US and/or Canada, Dennis ... Just one !!! :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD


User avatar
Tori
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7551
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:28 pm
Location: Orleans, Ontario

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby Tori » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:18 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
purdy65 wrote:Wow... Nasty stuff. For the record, I hope they are banned. It is the only way the IAAF can demonstrate they are committed to cleaning up the sport.


Agreed.

My favourite part was when Pound said he hoped Russia would voluntarily withdraw and clean up its program. Yeeeeeah right :lol: And right on cue they're already spewing denials, claiming it was politically motivated, etc.

jono


:lol: Russia would never voluntarily withdraw or clean up the program. They will just look for a new method. They are absolutely brutal is x-country skiing and biathlon. It has been like this since the days of the USSR. I used to watch them as a kid when they came to canmore for world cups. They win all the events and rarely get caught and when they do it gets swept under the rug. They have a lot of pull.

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby eme » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:50 pm

HCcD wrote:
drghfx wrote:...and the US, Canada and all the other countries are squeaky clean.


Name just one not-so-clean person from US and/or Canada, Dennis ... Just one !!! :what:


I have a co-worker who is a former Olympian (2 Olympics) and she got out of sport due to the heavy (sometimes implied, sometimes not so implied) pressure to dope. She raced for Canada...

User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm sure there are athletes and coaches in every country on the planet that have doping issues, but nothing on the scale of what Russia is accused of... their anti-doping agency, labs, even ministers all appear to have been in on it. Systematic doesn't scratch the surface... then you add in the bribes and corruption? Yikes.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby eme » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:04 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I'm sure there are athletes and coaches in every country on the planet that have doping issues, but nothing on the scale of what Russia is accused of... their anti-doping agency, labs, even ministers all appear to have been in on it. Systematic doesn't scratch the surface... then you add in the bribes and corruption? Yikes.

jono


Agreed.

I don't think that any country is clean, but some (ahem, Russia) take it to a whole other level.

User avatar
MrBond
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2492
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:38 am
Location: Toronto (East York)

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby MrBond » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:07 am

purdy65 wrote:Wow... Nasty stuff. For the record, I hope they are banned. It is the only way the IAAF can demonstrate they are committed to cleaning up the sport.


Good luck with that.... :roll:
"You're in over your head Donny..."

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Still think that Ben Johnson should have been vindicated, as everyone literally, in the 1988 Seoul 100m Final has since been tested positive in one form or another, if I recall ??

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.htm
Last edited by HCcD on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby Jwolf » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:14 pm

HCcD wrote:Still think that Ben Johnson should have been vindicated, as everyone literally, in the 1988 Seoul 100m Final has since been tested positive in one form or another, if I recall ??

[url][/http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.htmlurl]


Don't you mean everyone else should also be disqualified?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
HCcD
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 60022
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Jwolf wrote:
HCcD wrote:Still think that Ben Johnson should have been vindicated, as everyone literally, in the 1988 Seoul 100m Final has since been tested positive in one form or another, if I recall ??

[url][/http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172709693.htmlurl]


Don't you mean everyone else should also be disqualified?


Or, that too .. Just like baseball ... put an ** in the results and give back the Gold back to Ben Johnson .... He was the fastest of all the "cheats" that day on the starting line ... Just did not have the best Medical Staff, apparently ?? :shifty:

eta: Based on the article, interesting how the US Officials just ignored the results and brushed it down the toilet .. and, yet Canada .... :what: :what: :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:37 pm

HCcD wrote: give back the Gold back to Ben Johnson


No. Just no.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby canalrunner » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:49 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
HCcD wrote: give back the Gold back to Ben Johnson


No. Just no.


+1
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Events in France are overshadowing this... (rightfully so of course), but just for the sake of completeness on this thread;

Russia has been "provisionally" suspended by the IAAF
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summe ... -1.3317410

"Russia's track and field federation was suspended from international competition on Friday, leaving it in danger of missing next year's Olympics in Brazil unless the country cleans up its act on doping"

Good.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Whitby, ON

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:56 am

5 other countries ruled in violation of the doping code:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/34866041

Russia is one of six countries ruled to be in breach of the World Anti-Doping Agency's codes, BBC Sport's Katie Gornall reports.

Along with Argentina, Ukraine, Bolivia, Andorra and Israel, it has been deemed "non-compliant" by Wada.

Brazil, Belgium, France, Greece, Mexico and Spain have been placed on a 'watch list' and must meet strict conditions by March 2016 or face similar action.


Brazil! Great timing... but they get a long enough leash to not be banned for their own Olympics, funny how that works out...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby canalrunner » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:08 pm

jonovision_man wrote:5 other countries ruled in violation of the doping code:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/34866041

Russia is one of six countries ruled to be in breach of the World Anti-Doping Agency's codes, BBC Sport's Katie Gornall reports.

Along with Argentina, Ukraine, Bolivia, Andorra and Israel, it has been deemed "non-compliant" by Wada.

Brazil, Belgium, France, Greece, Mexico and Spain have been placed on a 'watch list' and must meet strict conditions by March 2016 or face similar action.


Brazil! Great timing... but they get a long enough leash to not be banned for their own Olympics, funny how that works out...

jono


On behalf of sports fans everywhere can I ask that the athletes from Andorra, Bolivia and Israel step up their game as they have demonstrated no evidence in their outcomes that they were using performance enhancing substances. It makes it easier if we can point to a "Lance Armstrong-like" performance of proof that someone cheated. I haven't seen anything like that from those 3 countries. Almost makes me want to support a performance enhancement program in those countries so they can do it better. Do they really need a drug testing regime?

Also clearly it is important it to cut off the potential medal deluge from Andorra, Bolivia and Israel powerhouses at the upcoming Olympics rather than the minnows of Brazil, Belgium, France, Greece, Mexico and Spain. Those countries have nothing to gain from cheating there. Right. :lol:
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
turd ferguson
Ben Johnson
Posts: 28512
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am
Location: It's a funny name
Contact:

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 pm

canalrunner wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:5 other countries ruled in violation of the doping code:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/34866041

Russia is one of six countries ruled to be in breach of the World Anti-Doping Agency's codes, BBC Sport's Katie Gornall reports.

Along with Argentina, Ukraine, Bolivia, Andorra and Israel, it has been deemed "non-compliant" by Wada.

Brazil, Belgium, France, Greece, Mexico and Spain have been placed on a 'watch list' and must meet strict conditions by March 2016 or face similar action.


Brazil! Great timing... but they get a long enough leash to not be banned for their own Olympics, funny how that works out...

jono


On behalf of sports fans everywhere can I ask that the athletes from Andorra, Bolivia and Israel step up their game as they have demonstrated no evidence in their outcomes that they were using performance enhancing substances. It makes it easier if we can point to a "Lance Armstrong-like" performance of proof that someone cheated. I haven't seen anything like that from those 3 countries. Almost makes me want to support a performance enhancement program in those countries so they can do it better. Do they really need a drug testing regime?

Also clearly it is important it to cut off the potential medal deluge from Andorra, Bolivia and Israel powerhouses at the upcoming Olympics rather than the minnows of Brazil, Belgium, France, Greece, Mexico and Spain. Those countries have nothing to gain from cheating there. Right. :lol:


(goes to Wikipedia)

Today I learned Andorra is a country that exists. And the president of France is the prince of Andorra.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby La » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:04 pm

turd ferguson wrote:(goes to Wikipedia)

Today I learned Andorra is a country that exists. And the president of France is the prince of Andorra.

I knew it was a country as I cycled through it! Toughest day of cycling I've ever had. I actually cried.

The only things in Andorra are: gas stations (tax free), jewellery stores, and hotels (most of them empty when I was there).
Image
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby canalrunner » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:04 pm

La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:(goes to Wikipedia)

Today I learned Andorra is a country that exists. And the president of France is the prince of Andorra.

I knew it was a country as I cycled through it! Toughest day of cycling I've ever had. I actually cried.

The only things in Andorra are: gas stations (tax free), jewellery stores, and hotels (most of them empty when I was there).
Image


And an unacceptable Anti-doping regime. Is that a performance enhancing substance, I see in those water bottles??? :lol:
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: IAAF corruption, bribery, "whole different scale" to FIF

Postby La » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:03 am

You'd think that living and training at 2000-2500m of elevation would be enough to give them at least a little bit of edge!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests