Marine Corps Marathon Issues Lifetime Ban to Runner

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Yowzers, Marine Corps Marathon getting a bit tough with potential "cheaters" this year, perhaps ??

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/marine-corps-marathon-issues-lifetime-ban-to-runner
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Re: Marine Corps Marathon Issues Lifetime Ban to Runner

Postby canalrunner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Not tough. Fair. Should be done more. In cases where the cheating is parlayed into a BQ or prizes, I am ok with this public shaming. See this different than accidental cheating or meaningless cheating (I am thinking here of the load of NY "marathoners" who don't make the right turn off the bridge and go north and instead walk off the course and end up crossing the finish line and head to their waiting bag checks with very curious splits--in these cases not sure they ever were claiming anything.

This feels like Boston Dad. BTW anyone know if he has run any races since?
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:58 pm

canalrunner wrote:This feels like Boston Dad. BTW anyone know if he has run any races since?

I think I read somewhere that he recently ran a 21:4x / 5K about a week or two ago?

A different Rossi had ran a 1:4x:xx at the Avengers Half last week(end), but apparently is a different person, due to his age/address State, etc ??

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:27 pm

The Marine corp runner has offered an apology. Not sure I buy the "not trying to harm anyone" completely as he was using the time the past few years to go to Boston. I'd hold to the life time ban.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/m ... ?tid=sm_fb
Last edited by canalrunner on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Races

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

canalrunner wrote:The Marine corp runner has offered an apologies. Not sure I completely buy the "not trying to harm anyone" completely as he was using the time the past few years to go to Boston. I'd hold to the life time ban.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/m ... ?tid=sm_fb

I don't buy it either.

I also don't buy it when he says he wasn't "particularly aware of his time while on the course and wasn’t specifically trying to sneak his way into the Boston Marathon." Was he not specifically trying to register to for the Boston Marathon either, or was it some kind of "accidental registration" like Andy likes to joke about. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:33 am

As he did admit, there is no excuse.
2016 Races

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 am

At least the RD DQ'd him for 2014 and 2015 MCM, basically nullified his 2016 and 2017 BQ registration?? Wondering if Boston will ban him as well, considering he has admitted to cheating on his previous when he may have participated in Boston under false qualifications??

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 am

HCcD wrote:At least the RD DQ'd him for 2014 and 2015 MCM, basically nullified his 2016 and 2017 BQ registration?? Wondering if Boston will ban him as well, considering he has admitted to cheating on his previous when he may have participated in Boston under false qualifications??

I doubt that Boston has to ban him.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Jwolf wrote:
HCcD wrote:At least the RD DQ'd him for 2014 and 2015 MCM, basically nullified his 2016 and 2017 BQ registration?? Wondering if Boston will ban him as well, considering he has admitted to cheating on his previous when he may have participated in Boston under false qualifications??

I don't think they have to. I have the sense that there is no way he could actually qualify for Boston without cheating---a bit like Boston Dad.
2016 Races

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Price said this:

“There’s no great back story to it. It’s just wrong. I haven’t been feeling that well, didn’t do the proper training. Now, at the end of the day, what do I have? Nothing.”

What I do not understand or appreciate is why someone would enter a marathon, cut it short just so they can say they finished a marathon even though they know they did not. The idea, the concept of a marathon still holds a great deal of appeal to me but I also know that with my back that is never going to happen again. But I would never for even a second consider paying an entry fee and not running the full course just to get a medal. A medal that would have no meaning. Even if Mr Price had not been caught, at the end of the day he still had nothing because he had not run a marathon. To be a marathoner you need to run a marathon and anything less is literally "nothing". I suppose this may speak to ego and vanity in our narcissistic world where if things are tough, it is okay to cheat to get the shinny object, the "reward".

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:07 pm

canalrunner wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I don't think they have to. I have the sense that there is no way he could actually qualify for Boston without cheating---a bit like Boston Dad.

Or, rather, retroactively Boston Marathon DQ him from the Official Results for the years that he ran it where his BQ maybhave been tainted. Rather unfortunate that the MCM RD only bothered to DQ him for 2014 and 2015 when there was also some potential questionable doubt thay he had completed prior years as well??

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 am

Dstew wrote:But I would never for even a second consider paying an entry fee and not running the full course just to get a medal. A medal that would have no meaning. Even if Mr Price had not been caught, at the end of the day he still had nothing because he had not run a marathon. To be a marathoner you need to run a marathon and anything less is literally "nothing". I suppose this may speak to ego and vanity in our narcissistic world where if things are tough, it is okay to cheat to get the shinny object, the "reward".

The "reward" is being able to tell everyone you ran a marathon, post it on Facebook, etc... to some people that's the "reward", the social aspect of what comes with it rather than the actual doing.

At the risk of triggering an FBI/CSIS/RCMP investigation - I know a guy who ran Boston with someone else's bib. He would never qualify, he's not fast enough (slow like me!). But that didn't stop him from slathering pics of himself doing Boston, getting the medal, etc on social media... and lots of people who didn't know better heaped praise on the guy. He got the "reward".

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:23 am

jonovision_man wrote:At the risk of triggering an FBI/CSIS/RCMP investigation - I know a guy who ran Boston with someone else's bib. He would never qualify, he's not fast enough (slow like me!). But that didn't stop him from slathering pics of himself doing Boston, getting the medal, etc on social media... and lots of people who didn't know better heaped praise on the guy. He got the "reward".

Well, he DID run Boston. I know someone who qualified for Boston by having her sister run a BQ in a race under her name (I think she might have run with 2 chips in her qualifying race - her own and her sister's), so that they could run Boston the same year.

Cheating your way into Boston is one thing, but cheating by deliberately not running the full course is something else entirely.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 am

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:At the risk of triggering an FBI/CSIS/RCMP investigation - I know a guy who ran Boston with someone else's bib. He would never qualify, he's not fast enough (slow like me!). But that didn't stop him from slathering pics of himself doing Boston, getting the medal, etc on social media... and lots of people who didn't know better heaped praise on the guy. He got the "reward".

Well, he DID run Boston. I know someone who qualified for Boston by having her sister run a BQ in a race under her name (I think she might have run with 2 chips in her qualifying race - her own and her sister's), so that they could run Boston the same year.

Cheating your way into Boston is one thing, but cheating by deliberately not running the full course is something else entirely.

So having your sister run a race you're not even at is different from cutting the course? Either way you're getting a time and not doing the full task.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 am

La wrote:

How is it different?

That's like saying that paying someone to write the MCAT for you is different than taking the test yourself but cheating while writing it.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:

How is it different?

That's like saying that paying someone to write the MCAT for you is different than taking the test yourself but cheating while writing it.

I'm not saying that lying your way into Boston is somehow forgiveable, or a less significant lie than saying you ran a marathon when you didn't. Both are lies. Getting a medal and bragging about having run a particular marathon when you cut the course is lying about the accomplishment. In the case of people who cheated their way in to Boston, they still ran and completed Boston, so they're not lying about that.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:58 pm

La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:

How is it different?

I'm not saying that lying your way into Boston is somehow forgiveable, or a less significant lie than saying you ran a marathon when you didn't. Both are lies. Getting a medal and bragging about having run a particular marathon when you cut the course is lying about the accomplishment. In the case of people who cheated their way in to Boston, they still ran and completed Boston, so they're not lying about that.

But, but, in Boston Dad's case, he apparently cheated and lied and got into Boston then went on to and cheated and lied about completing Boston ??

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:06 pm

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:

How is it different?

But, but, in Boston Dad's case, he apparently cheated and lied and got into Boston then went on to and cheated and lied about completing Boston ??

Two different lies. Equally bad. Actually, he lied about completing two marathons, and lied about his qualification to get into Boston, so that would be 3 lies. That we know of.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 pm

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:

How is it different?

Two different lies. Equally bad. Actually, he lied about completing two marathons, and lied about his qualification to get into Boston, so that would be 3 lies. That we know of.

Gotcha .. such the case, in both these cases, both of them are/were basically Serial Cheaters / Liars ?? :what:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:49 pm

It makes me wonder how many cases of things like this there are when it comes ton apparent Boston qualifiers-- everyone seems to know someone or know of someone who has done it. Makes me so angry when I think about all the people who qualified but whose time were just slower than the cutoff.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Dstew wrote:But I would never for even a second consider paying an entry fee and not running the full course just to get a medal. A medal that would have no meaning. Even if Mr Price had not been caught, at the end of the day he still had nothing because he had not run a marathon. To be a marathoner you need to run a marathon and anything less is literally "nothing". I suppose this may speak to ego and vanity in our narcissistic world where if things are tough, it is okay to cheat to get the shinny object, the "reward".

The "reward" is being able to tell everyone you ran a marathon, post it on Facebook, etc... to some people that's the "reward", the social aspect of what comes with it rather than the actual doing.

At the risk of triggering an FBI/CSIS/RCMP investigation - I know a guy who ran Boston with someone else's bib. He would never qualify, he's not fast enough (slow like me!). But that didn't stop him from slathering pics of himself doing Boston, getting the medal, etc on social media... and lots of people who didn't know better heaped praise on the guy. He got the "reward".

jono

But how rewarding can a reward be that was not really earned?

They know that they did not really earn that praise and that they are a fraud and so why go to the expense and bother of a fake accomplishment and achievement? I just have a very hard time understanding why someone would claim to do something and brag about it when they know they did not do it. I do understand why a professional would cheat - it puts more money into their pocket. But these guys, they are cheating so that they can spend more money to earn false praise. Just do not get it. Why not just go onto ebay, buy a Boston Finisher medal and jacket and walk around. Cheaper and easier to do. Then again, I am morally opposed to selfies and do not understand that either. So maybe I am just too old fashion to understand all of this.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Taking the lie and then using it to get something other people want like getting into Boston seems to me to up the level of the lie. I don't really care if someone cut a corner, ran 355 instead of 420 and then went home. They have the medal, but they have to live with the lie. BTW I should mention that Pat from ran 3:12.29 at Philli yesterday and has now qualified for Boston with a 2:31 second cushion. I know the work he has put into this over the past several years and it is totally awesome that in 2017, he will get to run it. Way to go, Pat!! At the end of the day, Marine Corp guy and Boston dad are just trash, now outed, who should just stop running because their legitimacy to do what they claim they love to do, run marathons is done like dinner.
2016 Races

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:32 pm

canalrunner wrote:BTW I should mention that Pat from ran 3:12.29 at Philli yesterday and has now qualified for Boston with a 2:31 second cushion. I know the work he has put into this over the past several years and it is totally awesome that in 2017, he will get to run it. Way to go, Pat!!

That's awesome. :)

But I hope that's enough of a cushion for 2017 registration. For 2016 the cutoff was at 2:28.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:44 am

Jwolf wrote:
canalrunner wrote:BTW I should mention that Pat from ran 3:12.29 at Philli yesterday and has now qualified for Boston with a 2:31 second cushion. I know the work he has put into this over the past several years and it is totally awesome that in 2017, he will get to run it. Way to go, Pat!!

That's awesome. :)

But I hope that's enough of a cushion for 2017 registration. For 2016 the cutoff was at 2:28.

Loads of time. He would have made it by a whole 3 seconds!! (Insert comment about how equal margin is unfair to faster qualifiers)
He is certainly a deserving qualifier, polar opposite to the smuck in this story.
2016 Races

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Thanks or the mention Mark. I know there are no guarantees that my time will get me in but it feels good to have met the standard.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Return to “General Running Discussion”