Treadmill vs Outdoors

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Treadmill vs Outdoors

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Close enough to call it a wash?
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35399598

Not sure I buy the bit about speed - GPS or treadmill speed should keep you honest on that one.

One thing he didn't mention was the impact over time of overheating... unless you have great fans and a cool space, you could waste a lot of energy sweating. But if your goal races is in July that might not be such a bad thing. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Treadmill vs Outdoors

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:56 pm

When will this debate ever end?
I guess it fits the formula for the "requisite January fitness article."

But while I'm here, I'll throw my 2 cents in the debate. ;)

If you're comparing speed, you also have to take into account different surfaces and outdoor conditions-- speed vs. effort for me is pretty close when you compare treadmill to a perfectly smooth, flat outdoor surface like a track. Throw in other variable conditions and surfaces and it's going to be different.

But the question in the article asks "which is better?" I say whichever one you want to do, or can do, is better. You can adjust effort and speed on both.

The article ends that way... almost. It says "But the best advice ... is to pick the kind of running that you enjoy and which you're likely to stick to. If that means heading to the nearest treadmill just remember to vary the speed and the incline." Why that caveat only for the treadmill? Just do what you want!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Treadmill vs Outdoors

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

I like how they spelled kerb.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:53 am

As someone who has to do a lot of running on the treadmill, I always like when I read things that say it's easier.....running even 5K on the treadmill, for me, is torture....

As far as benefits? I think that for me, I run in "warm" conditions on TM (it's on the 2nd floor in my bedroom) and it helps with the mental toughness required for some races. I think if you change up the workout the benefits are just as much, if not more than running outdoors (depending on what your outdoors has to offer).

Everyone has their preference, some people really like the treadmill. I'm not one of them, but so glad I have it, otherwise I wouldn't be running as much as I do. I don't think it's hurt my performance at all in races either.

I Read an article in a running magazine once about an elite marathon runner in the US who basically did all her running on a treadmill. She was a teacher. Couldn't believe it.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 am

I do a lot of running on the TM as well. I like it! It allows for a controlled environment for hard workouts in the winter, and it definitely has developed a sense of pacing. I am generally a very steady pacer, and I credit treadmill runs for that a lot. Music/podcasts/TV make it bearable for me. This morning, for example I watched the Federer/Djokovic match while I was doing my intervals!

Having said that - I try to make sure I get at least 3 of my runs each week (most importantly my long run) outside.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:21 pm

purdy65 wrote:I do a lot of running on the TM as well. I like it! It allows for a controlled environment for hard workouts in the winter, and it definitely has developed a sense of pacing. I am generally a very steady pacer, and I credit treadmill runs for that a lot. Music/podcasts/TV make it bearable for me. This morning, for example I watched the Federer/Djokovic match while I was doing my intervals!

Having said that - I try to make sure I get at least 3 of my runs each week (most importantly my long run) outside.

Never thought of the pacing thing Lisa, I'm a pretty steady pacer too, and never thought that the TM may be the reason!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 pm

purdy65 wrote:I do a lot of running on the TM as well. I like it! It allows for a controlled environment for hard workouts in the winter, and it definitely has developed a sense of pacing. I am generally a very steady pacer, and I credit treadmill runs for that a lot. Music/podcasts/TV make it bearable for me. This morning, for example I watched the Federer/Djokovic match while I was doing my intervals!

I always wonder if the switching from indoors to outdoors and back is problematic in any way. I feel like I'm acclimating to the cold, only to then acclimate to a steamy hot indoors, then back, repeat. I don't *feel* like it's a problem, but not entirely sure.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:29 pm

jonovision_man wrote:

I always wonder if the switching from indoors to outdoors and back is problematic in any way. I feel like I'm acclimating to the cold, only to then acclimate to a steamy hot indoors, then back, repeat. I don't *feel* like it's a problem, but not entirely sure.

jono

I don't really feel any problems at all! In fact usually after a couple of treadmill runs, I'm anxious to get outdoors. Switching doesn't bother me at all. Actually, the variety is nice!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:47 pm

I love the option of having the treadmill available.
Due to family circumstances the treadmill has been a lifesaver many times. Due to inclement weather the treadmill has been a lifesaver many times.
I find the treadmill physically easier to run on, but to compensate I usually have the speed a bit higher. Outside is mentally easier, time seems to go by much faster outside.
Running inside on the treadmill or outside in nature is still running in my opinion, so I use both as part of my everyday running life.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I love the option of having the treadmill available.
Due to family circumstances the treadmill has been a lifesaver many times. Due to inclement weather the treadmill has been a lifesaver many times.
I find the treadmill physically easier to run on, but to compensate I usually have the speed a bit higher. Outside is mentally easier, time seems to go by much faster outside.
Running inside on the treadmill or outside in nature is still running in my opinion, so I use both as part of my everyday running life.

+1!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Habs4ever wrote:I like how they spelled kerb.

It is a British article. :wink:
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:25 pm

purdy65 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

I don't really feel any problems at all! In fact usually after a couple of treadmill runs, I'm anxious to get outdoors. Switching doesn't bother me at all. Actually, the variety is nice!

+1
No problems switching back and forth at all.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:

I had to look it up. :) Never realized this was the British spelling. I wonder if there are other words with such different spellings of the same pronunciation!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

I had to look it up. :) Never realized this was the British spelling. I wonder if there are other words with such different spellings of the same pronunciation!

Tyre.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Jwolf wrote:The article ends that way... almost. It says "But the best advice ... is to pick the kind of running that you enjoy and which you're likely to stick to. If that means heading to the nearest treadmill just remember to vary the speed and the incline." Why that caveat only for the treadmill? Just do what you want!

Exactly. The best form of exercise is the one you'll do.

I don't like to run on a TM with incline. It aggravates my Achilles and my hamstrings.

I like that I have the option to do both/either, depending on what the conditions are that day.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:40 pm

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

Tyre.

That's only one letter different though-- and still the vowel. We also have the added u to things like colour and favour.

I'm surprised at the different consonant AND vowel!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:

Yes, I know

RobW
Bill Crothers

Treadmill vs Outdoors

Postby RobW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:05 pm

My Half-M PB at the time was on a cycle when I ran about 90% on a treadmill. It was back when we did the Tuesday workouts on here. I've also rigged up my treadmill so I could put my laptop in front of the console so I could watch educational videos at the same time. Makes the time fly by and I learn new things at the same time. The only difference I find between running on a treadmill vs outside is I've become more knowledgeable running on the treadmill. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:31 pm

You gotta wear pants when you're running outdoors. That doesn't work for everyone.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Having control over a great number of variables makes treadmill running an excellent way to get back in shape after a long layoff due to injury or illness.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

They don't pronounce it the same. :lol:
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:29 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

So "kerb" is "curb" with a British accent? ;)

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:23 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

There's more to it than just the accent.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:30 am

Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:

There's more to it than just the accent.

Seriously? :roll:

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:00 am

Yes and they say "Wooster" sauce too. :wink:

Return to “General Running Discussion”