Just in Time for Boston--There are cheaters in your midst!!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Re: Just in Time for Boston--There are cheaters in your mids

Postby mas_runner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:33 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Not only that, you get yourself a Boston jacket, you get to go home and go to hang around the start/finish line at every local race wearing your Boston jacket and work the word Boston into every conversation.

BQer: What kind of donuts do you have?
Tim Horton employee: Err....maple dip...Boston cream...straw-
B: Boston cream eh? Reminds me of when I first ran Boston, it was a windy one that one, not like 3 years later when I...
TH: Sorry sir but you are holding up the line...
B: That's what someone said to me in the portapotty line in 2007, great race that, around mile 18 I started to...
TH: Sorry sir, that's interesting but I gotta keep this drivethrough moving I...
B: Keep moving eh, that was my mantra in 2012, the sun was beating down...I was
Cars: HONK HONK
B: Oh how the crowd honked on Boylston...
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:44 pm

mas_runner wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:Not only that, you get yourself a Boston jacket, you get to go home and go to hang around the start/finish line at every local race wearing your Boston jacket and work the word Boston into every conversation.

B: Boston cream eh? Reminds me of when I first ran Boston, it was a windy one that one, not like 3 years later when I...
B: That's what someone said to me in the portapotty line in 2007, great race that, around mile 18 I started to...
TH: Sorry sir, that's interesting but I gotta keep this drivethrough moving I...

:lol:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
deerdree wrote:i'm the odd duck, but i could totally understand why someone would cheat to run boston. and how they would still enjoy it. i mean, the roar of crowds as you're down boylston isn't dimmer just because you cheated to get there. sure, you're only getting the thrill of running the race and a lifetime of memories, and not the satisfaction of having earned it. but two out of three ain't bad!

Not only that, you get yourself a Boston jacket, you get to go home and go to hang around the start/finish line at every local race wearing your Boston jacket and work the word Boston into every conversation.

Ironman is good for that, too. ;)

true, but you don't have to cheat or run the race to get the jacket. just got the expo and buy one!

I'm pretty sure you can buy a Boston marathon jacket without having run the race.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Anyone can buy anything somewhere, somehow. Doesn't matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:19 pm

La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
deerdree wrote:i'm the odd duck, but i could totally understand why someone would cheat to run boston. and how they would still enjoy it. i mean, the roar of crowds as you're down boylston isn't dimmer just because you cheated to get there. sure, you're only getting the thrill of running the race and a lifetime of memories, and not the satisfaction of having earned it. but two out of three ain't bad!

Not only that, you get yourself a Boston jacket, you get to go home and go to hang around the start/finish line at every local race wearing your Boston jacket and work the word Boston into every conversation.

true, but you don't have to cheat or run the race to get the jacket. just got the expo and buy one!

I'm pretty sure you can buy a Boston marathon jacket without having run the race.

yes, that's exactly what i mean. when i went to cheer, there were quite a few spectators who had bought and were wearing that year's jacket. whether you want to go home and start pretending you ran the race and didn't just watch it from the sidelines is a different matter, i guess, but you don't have to buy someone's bib or pay someone to qualify for you just for the privilege of wearing the jacket. that's open to anyone.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 pm

mas_runner wrote:

Love this!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Funny. thing about getting a medal or a jacket and not competing. I participated in the 70.3 Ironman event in Muskoka last summer, I did the run (imagine that). I crossed the finish line and didn't even take a photo as it felt wrong breaking the tap as only 1/3 participant. I got a hat and a shirt, and I've worn neither (though I do use the small backpack thing when I go camping as it's handy). I just don't feel right wearing the stuff when I didn't complete the whole thing...

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:13 pm

mas_runner wrote:

This is incredible.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:26 am

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

yes, that's exactly what i mean. when i went to cheer, there were quite a few spectators who had bought and were wearing that year's jacket. whether you want to go home and start pretending you ran the race and didn't just watch it from the sidelines is a different matter, i guess, but you don't have to buy someone's bib or pay someone to qualify for you just for the privilege of wearing the jacket. that's open to anyone.

Oh, I thought you were just referring to Ironman.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 am

La wrote:
deerdree wrote:
La wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

It's why I have never understood the attraction of the jacket. For me, the shirt and the medal represent Boston. I bought one jacket in three Bostons and then it was on-line 50% off after the event. I may wear it once or twice a year (weddings, funerals, that sort of thing).
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 am

There's also another way to cheat that wasn't mentioned in the article - entering as a bandit but using a fake bib (looks like a decent reproduction but doesn't have a timing chip). This type of cheating won't be caught by the guy in this article but is just as bad.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:46 am

Jwolf wrote:There's also another way to cheat that wasn't mentioned in the article - entering as a bandit but using a fake bib (looks like a decent reproduction but doesn't have a timing chip). This type of cheating won't be caught by the guy in this article but is just as bad.

That was heavy when I was there in 2014....one of the guys in my photos used a fake bib.... I searched the bib number and found it a few times with different people... There was a couple that year that did that to get in, faked bibs....and got caught. Then people started searching.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
RobW wrote:Apparently, there were around 3,300 fewer BQs this year than last. It's the second lowest percentage of BQs in the past decade with the 2012 heat-wave being the lowest. Curious how that would be factored in.

Interesting. I'm not surprised to hear this, since almost everyone I talked to last night/this morning (both people I know and random "how was your race" strangers) said they did not have the race they were hoping for. There didn't seem to be a single explanatory factor, like the weather. What I kept hearing was along the lines of "it just didn't seem to be my day".

Maybe because it wasn't blistering-2012-hot people didn't want to point to the weather? Warm enough for the BAA to issue a heat advisory knowing it will have an affect. The cold miserable conditions in 2015 saw the second highest percentage of qualifiers at 48% for 2016. 2013 was the highest at 56% but is skewed by the number of people that were allowed to finish their race. Those who already qualified for 2017 can book their tickets now. ;)

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:43 pm

RobW wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:
RobW wrote:Those who already qualified for 2017 can book their tickets now. ;)

:naughty: :shhh:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:08 pm

RobW wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:
RobW wrote:Apparently, there were around 3,300 fewer BQs this year than last. It's the second lowest percentage of BQs in the past decade with the 2012 heat-wave being the lowest. Curious how that would be factored in.

Interesting. I'm not surprised to hear this, since almost everyone I talked to last night/this morning (both people I know and random "how was your race" strangers) said they did not have the race they were hoping for. There didn't seem to be a single explanatory factor, like the weather. What I kept hearing was along the lines of "it just didn't seem to be my day".

Maybe because it wasn't blistering-2012-hot people didn't want to point to the weather? Warm enough for the BAA to issue a heat advisory knowing it will have an affect. The cold miserable conditions in 2015 saw the second highest percentage of qualifiers at 48% for 2016. 2013 was the highest at 56% but is skewed by the number of people that were allowed to finish their race. Those who already qualified for 2017 can book their tickets now. ;)

Yes, your point about the weather could definitely be right. It wasn't blistering hot, and not at all humid, so it would be easy for individuals to think "well, the conditions weren't THAT bad, so that wasn't it". What I know for sure is that I was well-rested, much moreso than for Around the Bay two weeks prior, but right from the start my PE was above where it normally would be. Someone else I know said much the same thing.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:13 am

Here we go again http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... us-7837389

Even dumber when a celebrity type person does it as people will be looking at their results.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:44 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:Here we go again http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... us-7837389

Even dumber when a celebrity type person does it as people will be looking at their results.

+ 1

There is part of me that can accept that if someone cheats but only shares the doctored results with very close friends, family and maybe coworkers, I sort of get that. You have told all of these people you are going to reach this great accomplishment and would be embarrassed to have to say that you failed. I do not approve or condone but I understand. But if you are dumb enough to share the false results with the world, then public shaming is quite acceptable. The one caveat is that if fine as long as it is proportional to the crime and not Cool Runner stalker creepy type shaming.

In the 2005 Calgary marathon, I told anyone and everyone I would be trying to qualify for Boston. At the 25 K mark, that was my existential crisis point of the race. My mind and body were telling me to slow down and avoid the pain. My mind even started to race towards thoughts of how could I qualify no matter the means. But immediately, the reaction was what would be the point of qualifying for Boston through dishonest means. I would know that I did not really qualify and so fruit from the poison tree, everything flowing from that would be tainted. I would not have really earned that medal or jacket. It would be a hollow and empty accomplishment and so I do not understand why anyone would do so. As I said, to say you completed a marathon when you did not and move on to avoid some embarrassment is nothing I would do or approve of but I sort of get why someone would be tempted to do it during the race. What I do not get is to then brag about the non accomplishment in a very public forum is dumb.

Return to “General Running Discussion”