Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9005
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Stampie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

User avatar
ian
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5973
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby ian » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm surprised at how early in the race that the wheels came off, considering the near-perfect weather, the training peak, and the pacing group. I hope he can recover quickly enough to run some Canadian races, particularly if this keeps the podcast going.

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby canalrunner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm

+1 If only for the podcasts. Someone who seemed to have fun running the marathon at an elite level. A good marathoner but perhaps never meant to go sub 2:12.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


User avatar
Pat29
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1370
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:42 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Pat29 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:05 pm

The interview was tough to watch. He seems like a decent guy. Maybe canal runner is right that he was never meant to go sub 2:12 but I was hoping he would pull it off.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run


My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

User avatar
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5044
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 am
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:13 pm

Pat29 wrote:The interview was tough to watch. He seems like a decent guy. Maybe canal runner is right that he was never meant to go sub 2:12 but I was hoping he would pull it off.


I agree, it was heartbreaking. To work so hard and fall short of your goal is difficult. He handled himself really well though and I think, does Canadians proud.

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 am

canalrunner wrote:A good marathoner but perhaps never meant to go sub 2:12.

He needed 2:12:50 for the Olympic A-standard- his marathon PR is 2:13:29 from a couple years ago, so the Olympic standard was within his reach.

I love Rob, and I was really wishing that he could do it-- unfortunately he doesn't always run the smartest race, and I think Sunday he started too fast. But he seems to have a great attitude now. It's an attitude that we can all learn a lot from (which is why I love listening to his podcasts). I hope we will see him staying active in the Vancouver running community.

Good luck with the next chapter.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
purdy65
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:06 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby purdy65 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am

He ran 2:13 a few years ago, but hasn't come close since. I'm not sure he was made to run 2:12. I agree about his attitude though. I'm hoping he is successful at a different angle like coaching or broadcasting.

Waiting to hear this weeks podcast. I always love it
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9005
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Stampie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:38 am

Jwolf wrote:I love Rob, and I was really wishing that he could do it-- unfortunately he doesn't always run the smartest race, and I think Sunday he started too fast. But he seems to have a great attitude now. It's an attitude that we can all learn a lot from (which is why I love listening to his podcasts). I hope we will see him staying active in the Vancouver running community.

Same here, I was deeply hoping for a positive result for him in London and to see his tweet was a little heartbreaking. I totally concur, his attitude is amazing and we could learn from it. Having met him last year, I can say, what you see is what you get. Both Dylan Wykes & Rob are very personable, down to earth and most definitely approachable.

Rob appears to be coaching, along with Dylan thru Mile2Marathon Coaching. Per FB, it looks like there is an informal meet up at the track at Point Grey High School on Saturday's at 8am.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

User avatar
gnu
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6565
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby gnu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Jwolf wrote:
canalrunner wrote:A good marathoner but perhaps never meant to go sub 2:12.

He needed 2:12:50 for the Olympic A-standard- his marathon PR is 2:13:29 from a couple years ago, so the Olympic standard was within his reach.

I love Rob, and I was really wishing that he could do it-- unfortunately he doesn't always run the smartest race, and I think Sunday he started too fast. But he seems to have a great attitude now. It's an attitude that we can all learn a lot from (which is why I love listening to his podcasts). I hope we will see him staying active in the Vancouver running community.

Good luck with the next chapter.

This, and he also seems to race a lot for an elite - demanding that high level from his body that often could mean his tank is only ever at 3/4ths...

User avatar
ian
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5973
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby ian » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

ian wrote:I hope he can recover quickly enough to run some Canadian races, particularly if this keeps the podcast going.

Alas, the podcast wraps up with this week's episode. On a brighter note, Rob sounded open to future racing with more modest goals, although it will remain to be seen if training time and motivation will be in sufficient supply with respect to the reality of having to find some sort of job.

User avatar
ian
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 5973
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby ian » Mon May 02, 2016 9:22 pm

ian wrote:... the reality of having to find some sort of job.

today on twitter, rob watson wrote:Writing a resume is hard. Especially when you don't really have any skills or work experience. Son of a *****, the "real" world is lame.

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby La » Wed May 04, 2016 8:12 am

ian wrote:
ian wrote:... the reality of having to find some sort of job.

today on twitter, rob watson wrote:Writing a resume is hard. Especially when you don't really have any skills or work experience. Son of a *****, the "real" world is lame.

:lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed May 04, 2016 9:08 am

30 years ago a guy could run 2:07 while working as an aircraft mechanic. What changed?
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby La » Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 am

Pat Menzies wrote:30 years ago a guy could run 2:07 while working as an aircraft mechanic. What changed?

Professional athletics.

30 years a guy HAD to work because you had to be an amateur to compete at the Olympics.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
canalrunner
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1422
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby canalrunner » Thu May 05, 2016 2:48 pm

La wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:30 years ago a guy could run 2:07 while working as an aircraft mechanic. What changed?

Professional athletics.

30 years a guy HAD to work because you had to be an amateur to compete at the Olympics.


Kenyans and Ethopians. There is now a way to make a living for a greater number in the sport. We had Jerome Drayton and a couple of others knocking on the door of 2:10. Now there are a lot more sub-2:10 marathoners, and not many 2:10 Canadians. I guess we haven't changed.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon


Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Rob Watson comes shy of Rio2016 while in London

Postby Pat Menzies » Sat May 07, 2016 9:05 pm

La wrote:
Pat Menzies wrote:30 years ago a guy could run 2:07 while working as an aircraft mechanic. What changed?

Professional athletics.

30 years a guy HAD to work because you had to be an amateur to compete at the Olympics.



Not actually true. The amateur era ended well before that.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.


Return to “General Running Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest