Marathon Weekend in Toronto/Mississauga

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Marathon Weekend in Toronto/Mississauga

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Anyone running? I'm in for the full in Mississauga, Andy running the half. We are meeting for late lunch on Saturday if anyone wants to join :

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Marathon Weekend in Toronto/Mississauga

Postby purdy65 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:20 pm

Full in Toronto!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:37 am

Toronto Full for me! First time at this race.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:05 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Toronto Full for me! First time at this race.

Exciting! What's your projected finishing time? I may ride my bike down near the finish line, but I have somewhere to be by noon.

ETA: I think I'll ride my bike to Corktown Common, which is at the bottom of Bayview Avenue, so between 20-21K on the marathon and about 15K of the half. There likely won't be many other spectators down there.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 am

Happy racing, everyone!

We have a family thing so no running, spectating or celebrating, unfortunately. But I look forward to the race reports.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 am

Robinandamelia wrote:Anyone running? I'm in for the full in Mississauga, Andy running the half. We are meeting for late lunch on Saturday if anyone wants to join :

Did you mean to post a link? Nothing is showing up, at least not on my computer.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 am

Toronto full... 4th time doing this race, but first marathon since 2013. Signed up because in 3 years I've forgotten why I didn't do one in the last 3 years. ;) I'll remember again on Sunday I'm sure.

jono
Last edited by jonovision_man on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
Robinandamelia wrote:Anyone running? I'm in for the full in Mississauga, Andy running the half. We are meeting for late lunch on Saturday if anyone wants to join :

Did you mean to post a link? Nothing is showing up, at least not on my computer.

No link...just can't type...If anyone in Mississauga, we're looking at going to Boston Pizza near the start line (Square One) probably around 2-2:30 :) :)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:42 pm

I'm working at the Toronto expo then :(
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Full in Toronto.
Everybody please pray to the Gods of Boston I BQ.
Perhaps fast as well.

I know it is a tall order but I really want to go, even though I hate the roads.

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

No link...just can't type...If anyone in Mississauga, we're looking at going to Boston Pizza near the start line (Square One) probably around 2-2:30 :) :)

Probably won't make it, but thanks for the heads up, just in case. :)
Jacqueline
--------------

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 am

La wrote:

Exciting! What's your projected finishing time? I may ride my bike down near the finish line, but I have somewhere to be by noon.

ETA: I think I'll ride my bike to Corktown Common, which is at the bottom of Bayview Avenue, so between 20-21K on the marathon and about 15K of the half. There likely won't be many other spectators down there.

awesome! It will be so nice to see a familiar face! I'm shooting for 3:30-3:35 (BQ!). I'll need a perfect day, but I figure go big or go home. I certainly hope to be long finished by noon but will look out for you around the half way point!

I'm still debating final outfit choices, but will likely be in an coral-pink top (tank or tee) and black bottoms (shorts or capris, depending on weather). likely a visor if it's rainy.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 am

Annelizabeth wrote:Full in Toronto.
Everybody please pray to the Gods of Boston I BQ.
Perhaps fast as well.

I know it is a tall order but I really want to go, even though I hate the roads.

I'll send some BQ vibes your way if you send them my way too!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
La wrote:

awesome! It will be so nice to see a familiar face! I'm shooting for 3:30-3:35 (BQ!). I'll need a perfect day, but I figure go big or go home. I certainly hope to be long finished by noon but will look out for you around the half way point!

I'm still debating final outfit choices, but will likely be in an coral-pink top (tank or tee) and black bottoms (shorts or capris, depending on weather). likely a visor if it's rainy.

I'll try to remember my cowbell! It's from Boston! ;)

Mid-single digits for most of the race, overcast, chance of rain, windy from the north east, so that will be great for the first 3/4 of the race, but will suck for the final 5K or so.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am

Cr@p Cr@p Cr@p ... similar forecast for Mississauga ... Glad that I decided to run the half this year .. Ha !! :) :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:44 am

HCcD wrote:Cr@p Cr@p Cr@p ... similar forecast for Mississauga ... Glad that I decided to run the half this year .. Ha !! :) :P

Yeah, hoping that changes....darn wind....ever present it seems...

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 am

La wrote:Mid-single digits for most of the race, overcast, chance of rain, windy from the north east, so that will be great for the first 3/4 of the race, but will suck for the final 5K or so.

If there's one thing I've learned from obsessing about race day weather... what they say on Friday is never what it ends up being on Sunday.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 am

La wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
La wrote:

I'll try to remember my cowbell! It's from Boston! ;)

Mid-single digits for most of the race, overcast, chance of rain, windy from the north east, so that will be great for the first 3/4 of the race, but will suck for the final 5K or so.

i was checking out the course map and comparing with the wind direction this morning!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 am

The wind has been coming from the N, NE or E for the last few days. That's a really cold wind. And it's not expected to change until Tuesday.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:51 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
La wrote:Mid-single digits for most of the race, overcast, chance of rain, windy from the north east, so that will be great for the first 3/4 of the race, but will suck for the final 5K or so.

If there's one thing I've learned from obsessing about race day weather... what they say on Friday is never what it ends up being on Sunday.

jono

Fingers crossed!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:55 am

Good luck everyone!

Big race weekend here in Vancouver too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:32 am

Robinandamelia wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Fingers crossed!!

Yeah it didn't work out so far. Strong wind out of the east. I've been obsessing about it...

Toronto Marathon:
Strong tailwind for kilometers 22-35 (yay!)
Horrible headwind for the last 7km (just when you're looking for that extra challenge! ;))

Mississauga looks even worse, most of last half will have headwind.
Edit: OK maybe more of a crosswind? I always forget that Missassauga "north" is really North-west LOL

:dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:54 am

Robinandamelia wrote:Anyone running? I'm in for the full in Mississauga

Are you going for another BQ?

Happy racing everyone!

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Happy racing everyone & speedy vibes for those chasing BQ times. Run strong. You've got this :). Don't fret about the wind. I've run TO twice. Both days were windy & it didn't impact my time. Just tuck yourself into a pack & take turns fighting the wind.

TO is an awesome course - very fast. Take advantage of the downhills & that tailwind!!!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:24 pm

alexk wrote:Just tuck yourself into a pack & take turns fighting the wind.

Or better yet, let everyone else take turns while you tuck behind... :lol: (hey it's a race, no time for altruism!)

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “General Running Discussion”