Please help...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

CAW
Lynn Williams

Please help...

Postby CAW » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:00 pm

Okay, I know everyone has their own fundraising they are doing, and alot of us are supporting each other too, so I don't want to exhaust everyone's generosity but....

I am planning to run my first ever race....the CIBC Run for the Cure on Oct 2. I have a fundraising goal of just $150 before Sept 15th. I have asked all my friends and family for support....the majority of the responses have been "good for you" and that is that. My in-laws have donated $10 and every little bit helps....

Hubby and I are cashing in all our bottles and also donating the amount of the registration fee (if I raise the $150, the fee is waived)....but beyond that I feel like I am getting nowhere....

I am really starting to get depressed about it.....I dunno why, I could just pay the registration and be done with it....but I feel like I am letting the cause down....

I was wondering if people could either A)give me ideas of other small ways I could raise some money, or B) just donate a buck or two....

To donate click here
https://www.cibcrunforthecure.com/html/p.asp?t=1155045&l=1

donations will automatically get a reciept.

Please help, I really want to make my first event a positive experience...

and if this email is out of line in any way, just let me know. The last thing I wanna do is offend anyone.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Please help...

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:24 pm

CdnArtyWife wrote:and if this email is out of line in any way, just let me know. The last thing I wanna do is offend anyone.

not at all, no worries. We have a very understanding and generous bunch here. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Paying the fee helps the cause any way. So if you don't get the $150, don't worry, pay the fee and run!
You and Scott come over for supper and I will see what I can contribute to the "Bottle fund" :wink:
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:37 pm

Kara,
I agree with Danie, don't stress about it. The fee is also helpful to the cause - as is running, period. Just being in the Run is helping to create awareness.
I ahve only had one response to my plea, but intend to send out another 'reminder' next week. Then I will see what new people I can approach. There is still plenty of time, and you really have up until race day to pay the registration fee if you don't fundraise enough before then. It is only $5 more if you don't meet the early bird deadline.
Good luck!
I am lookign forward to running together!
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:45 pm

It's always good to carry a digital camera and catch people doing embarrassing things and then sell them the pictures....kidding
I've always found that if I start the conversation with what the event is and why I'm running it many people will ask how they can donate. The key is to be sincere about why you are trying to raise the money. People respond to your emotions around the event. That and I mention it to everyone I know! Donations come from the most unlikely sources sometimes.
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

The Donald
Jerome Drayton

Postby The Donald » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Just keep asking. Rule #1 is is they are someone who you talk to about anything, ask. It just takes time. Also, get a couple of people on the form including yourself; for some reason people don't like being first. Also, when is the deadline? I might see what I can do.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 pm

Wow...you are the angel I've been asking for.

CIBC Run for a cure is the event that got me into running. I walked the course in 2002..and as a result signed up for a Learn To Run Clinic...the rest is history!.

I have a very emotional bond with this race...but this year I promised to babysit my "surrogate grandson" so his Dad could run a marathon that day and mom could be a spectator.

And when I found out last week that my sister-in-law has just been diagnosed with breast cancer I felt really badly that I could not run in the Run For A Cure this year.

I just went to your website link and donated...so at least I can give some money if I can't run.

Perhaps you could think of Lori at some point during your race..she is 41 and lives in Toronto. Her older sister just died...in June at age 49 (heart failure as a result of complications from diabetes) so Lori is feeling very fragile.

Thanks...

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 am

Jo-Jo,

You bet I will think about Lori....in fact, if you want to send me a picture of her I will pin it or tape it or attatch it some how to my clothing that day....I actually plan on doing that for everyone I know who has/had breast cancer.....my aunt had it twice, had a breast removed in the 70s then found a lump under the same arm in the early 90's. She is now 73 and cancer free....Tell Lori, if ReRe can do it, so can she!

And thank you to everyone else!

I was a little down last night....several mitigating circumstances....

Dani, thank you for calling me from work, you didn't need to do that, but you did, and I appreciate it. I am looking forward to our run this morning.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Cheermidget
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cheermidget » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:15 pm

CdnArtyWife,

Congratulations on making the commitment to train and run for such a great cause! :D I did the CIBC Run for the cure last year and it's an awesome event...and knowing two people (my godmother and my ex's mom) who have fought and won the battle against breast cancer always gives me inspiration!

Don't fret about the pressure to get donations...as mentioned, the registration fee goes towards the organization, so just by running, you're already helping out!

But, if you want to continue raising money, here are a few ideas:

1) Unfortunately, the best way is to ask. I know it's hard (trust me, I have to fundraise every year and I'm still not used to it), but if you ask people around you (for example, the people who volunteer with you) to donate even a dollar or two, they'll help out, especially for a great cause like this one.

2) If you don't want to overtly ask for donations, find other ways to "advertise". One idea is to either wear CIBC Run for the Cure clothing (I know the RR sells it), or you can even make your own t-shirt that says "Doing the CIBC Run for the Cure for the 1st time, please help!" That will generate conversation, break the ice and hopefully, people will help out!

3) Do you know other people who are running it as well? If so, maybe you all can get together and do a few group fundraisers together (bottle drives, bake sales, little things like that) and then split the profits.

I hope that helped a bit...keep at it and don't feel down, because you're doing a wonderful job!

~Rae
~Rae

Return to “General Running Discussion”