From Running USA:

Distance 2015 Totals: Finishers % of Total ’14 to ’15 Change
5K 7,643,600 45% -8%
Half-Marathon 1,986,600 12% -3%
10K 1,275,600 7% -9%
Marathon 509,000 3% -8%
Other Distances 5,700,000 33% -12%
Total 17,114,800 -9%

This is the second year in a row of decline after growth every year from 1990.

The number of races grew by 8% from 2014 and a odd stat is there were less 5 mile races.

Age Group Female Male
5K 59% 41%
Median Time 36:15 29:43
Average Age 33.8 33.9
10K 58% 42%
Median Time 67:15 57:40
Average Age 36.6 38.8
Half Marathon 61% 39%
Median Time 2:22:21 2:04:00
Average Age 36.7 39.3
Marathon 44% 56%
Median Time 4:45:30 4:20:13
Average Age 36.7 40.4

What was surprising to me was how few people run a 10 K race relative to the other distances. The largest race in the US is the Peachtree 10 K with over 50,000 runners and there are two other 10 K events in the top 10 largest races.

I was curious and looked at the marathon numbers: in 1980, 90% of marathoners were men and 26% of the field was over 40. It is now 56% male and 49% are over 40.

In 1990, 303,000 ran a half, 224,00 ran the full. Given where the numbers are today, is the second running boom based upon getting women to run. But now old runners are just starting to fade away?

I have read that millennials were all doing mud runs, color runs, etc or in the above noted stats, "other distances" instead of traditional road races. That was where the future of "running" would be and so I was very interested to see the largest decline was in those numbers. As a side note, I was also curious to see how many people ran ultras. At one time it was around 9,000 finishers and last year I believe it was around 55,000 so although they did enjoy and are enjoying a boom, not as overwhelming as some reports may have suggested.

Golf is experiencing the same sort of decline.

And a very small sample but I looked that Banff Gran Fondo and Highwood Pass Fondo stats. Banff started in 2012 with 1316 participants. 2013 2,300 and then 2014, 1306 followed by 941 and 701. Although in the last two years, the 90 k Medio event was added and 272 and 373 riders participated. Highwood was 249 in 2012, 2013 was 300, 345 in 2014 and then 332 and 290. The largest groups in are males 40-49 and 50-59.

The Banff stat is of interest to me: shows that people who are paying to participant in any event are aging and as such, medio events will continue to increase and may mirror what happened marathon v half marathon? For myself, I can complete a marathon but too much pain, misery and suffering would be involved to do so. I start looking at a Fondo event but do I really want to put in the miles required and then pay over $200 to ride and two nights in Banff and food and ... or sleep in my own bed, ride really hard for a couple of hours on a cool course for $150 and sleep in my own bed. The numbers in the cycling events do seem to suggest that there are a number of people who did the "Bucket list" ride and I will be doing the same. But instead of over $500 in Banff when it is all said and done, $45 to do that with MEC.

I also wonder if the charity events with the shirt and medal will start to be reduced and the $15 MEC no frills but timed events will appeal to the core group of runners?

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: End of the second running Boom?

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 am

That's a pretty significant drop-off.., you're probably on to the right ideas, younger folks probably aren't as excited about the local 5k/10k/etc. That's what their parents do so it's inherently lame. ;)

I also find the longer I'm at it, the less interested I am in paying to enter organized events (especially given the way prices have gone up up and away). The local 5k has zero appeal to me now, I'll pick a couple of key bigger events but that's about it. Not sure if others are the same?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

A far more useful data set would be the total sales volume and units shipped of running shoes and equipment and its trend(s).

Just because participation in events has declined, doesn't mean overall participation has declined. Your question ought to be, based on the data provided, "The end of the second racing boom?"
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Mark.AU wrote:A far more useful data set would be the total sales volume and units shipped of running shoes and equipment and its trend(s).

Just because participation in events has declined, doesn't mean overall participation has declined. Your question ought to be, based on the data provided, "The end of the second racing boom?"

That was a great question. What appears to be happening is that the number of people running a race has declined in the last two years, there seems to be a corresponding decline in the sales of specialty running shoes. Walking, hiking and "casual" running shoes sales have increased as well as the sale of apparel. I was reading something about the trend to move away from the old mantra of "no pain, no gain" or "sweat equity" to a gentler and kinder approach to fitness. Thus it may not be that there are less runners but less racers and more causal or social runners. I went into a Sporting Life "fitness" store and from the entire set up to the staff, the concept and focus was on fashion. It was quite jarring for me being such old school. BUT, I actually see the appeal in that. I still have the need, hardwired into my DNA to suffer and thus why I will continue to enter 10 K races and the such but I have questioned why and cannot find a good answer other than there is an intangible benefit to me that defies description or analysis. But I do see a time in the not so distant future where other then the odd $45 MEC ride or $15 MEC race, I will be doing many official events.

Thus a more accurate title is the second RACE running boom over and I suspect that it is.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:02 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I also find the longer I'm at it, the less interested I am in paying to enter organized events (especially given the way prices have gone up up and away). The local 5k has zero appeal to me now, I'll pick a couple of key bigger events but that's about it. Not sure if others are the same?

jono

I'm largely the same... I don't enter many organized events, largely because of the cost. Prices have ballooned over the past 10 years, even (especially?) in trail races and ultras. I won't pay $65 to run 5km when I can get better value for a longer distance. So this year I've entered the MEC trail series, way more bang for the buck.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

booboo
Percy Williams

Postby booboo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm

I personally don't enter races anymore, mainly due to cost. Why pay when I can do it for free.

That said I probably will be doing the Millarville half this year. But it'd be my first since probably 2012

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 am

ultraslacker wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I also find the longer I'm at it, the less interested I am in paying to enter organized events (especially given the way prices have gone up up and away). The local 5k has zero appeal to me now, I'll pick a couple of key bigger events but that's about it. Not sure if others are the same?

jono

I'm largely the same... I don't enter many organized events, largely because of the cost. Prices have ballooned over the past 10 years, even (especially?) in trail races and ultras. I won't pay $65 to run 5km when I can get better value for a longer distance. So this year I've entered the MEC trail series, way more bang for the buck.

Wow 4 races for $48? Chip timed and everything? :shock: That's impressively awesome.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:

jono

Wow 4 races for $48? Chip timed and everything? :shock: That's impressively awesome.

jono

In Calgary the MEC events are:

$84 for 7 chip time road running events. They have been adding races every year.

This year, $36 for three chip timed trial events. Brand new this year.

Two bike rides - one of 100 k and the other at $160 - $90 or $45 per ride.

5 Peaks was the only running series around and their special, super duper early bird, limited edition if you ran all 5 races was $200. They now have a early bird $47 per race special or $55 regular.

The average 5 - 10 K race in Calgary is around $50 - 70. I have noticed that they will get less then 200 runners in total for most of these races.

The early bird specials on most "Fondos" is $145 with Banff being $199.

I had transferred my registration from the marathon to the 10 K race the Calgary marathon race day. No refunds or transfers so that is going to be a $100 10 K race when it is all said and done.

I am doing the sporting life 10 K run. A very cool and unusual course made me look at this race. Because of when I signed up, 20% off Sauncy shoes and a $35 gift certificate. So when it was all said and done, I paid a grand total of $150 for a new pair of shoes I needed before signing up for the race, a technical shirt and a very neat 10 K race course.

The Highwood Pass Fondo - 135 K to the highest paved road in Canada for $145. Add in a new Jersey that I need and this wish list ride can be justified.

I am telling myself in a convincing tone that $199 to ride Banff is worth it. The 90 K ride starts at time where I can pick up the bib and ride without having to spend two nights in Banff. They do not tell you the special, middle of summer rate of around $200 is only valid with a two night stay. So $400 more to ride another 60 K does not make any financial sense. The 90 K route is on a very scenic road but narrow and winding so not a road I would feel comfortable riding on my own. But for this ride, they close it down. And at 90 K, I can have some fun and treat that as a "race" or at least a speed test to see just how fast I am.

I have no need for more shirts or medals so I can see why more and more people are doing the MEC races and rides. And why after this year, it will be my only option.

Return to “General Running Discussion”