Lance Armstrong story

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Lance Armstrong story

Postby Dstew » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am

Attended a talk tonight about various trail and mountain bike races in the region and the owner told a Lance Armstrong story

They also do a six day trail race in Colorado. Lance lives in Aspen and fly up to Banff, bought the race organizers supper and beers to ask if he could run in their race. They told him they had to talk to the elite runners. As it turns, out they all vetoed Lance running. At this point is that being a little vindictive? On a side note, Lance went to check in. They did not have a reservation in his name and he said, it was under Juan Ballie. At least he still has a sense of humor.

The talk was also about altitude training in a special room that was built by a "performance lab". It seemed interesting. I figured it would be all of these young hard bodies looking for an edge and I would be the oldest one in the room. Turns out I was not. There were a few of those in their 60s and 70s looking for a new challenge. And amazing, an 83 year old who had just completed his V02 testing to confirm the right pace he should be training at. A very humble guy who was embarrassed by the recognition and round of applause. He said something to the affect, good for me that I am still alive.

None of these older athletes had blogs or were in it for medals or anything like that. They were looking for new and interesting ways to challenge and test themselves, to see how fast they could be and preferred to do so in anonymity. Put the ego aside and just do whatever you are going to do for the love of the doing it. It was a great lesson for me to learn and follow as it was more about being the best they could be but within their skills and abilities and not relative to anyone else.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Lance Armstrong story

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:10 am

Dstew wrote:Attended a talk tonight about various trail and mountain bike races in the region and the owner told a Lance Armstrong story

They also do a six day trail race in Colorado. Lance lives in Aspen and fly up to Banff, bought the race organizers supper and beers to ask if he could run in their race. They told him they had to talk to the elite runners. As it turns, out they all vetoed Lance running. At this point is that being a little vindictive? On a side note, Lance went to check in. They did not have a reservation in his name and he said, it was under Juan Ballie. At least he still has a sense of humor.

If I were an elite runner, I wouldn't want to race against Lance either! :shock: ;)

But yeah enough time has passed now, let the guy move on with his life, he's not a significant threat to turn pro and pollute the sport with drugs anymore.

(Keeping my streak of posting on every Lance-related thread on RunningMania alive!) :dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Re: Lance Armstrong story

Postby Dstew » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 am

jonovision_man wrote:
Dstew wrote:Attended a talk tonight about various trail and mountain bike races in the region and the owner told a Lance Armstrong story

If I were an elite runner, I wouldn't want to race against Lance either! :shock: ;)

But yeah enough time has passed now, let the guy move on with his life, he's not a significant threat to turn pro and pollute the sport with drugs anymore.

(Keeping my streak of posting on every Lance-related thread on RunningMania alive!) :dance:

jono

:D

You win jerseys and medals, no prize money that I could see. 120 miles over six days and you sleep in a tent at the end of each stage. The cost is around $1,600 but there are a lot of extras. 219 solo runners and 78 teams of 2 so why would anyone care whether Lance ran or not. I would think it would be a good challenge and a no lose situation. You beat him, you have beat Lance Fricking Armstrong. Lose, he was probably cheating.

I have to admit I am getting soft in my old age. Roughing it means that there is only one Sports channel or the TV is less then 40 inches in my hotel room. Run for a couple of hours and then sleep in a tent. No thank you.

Return to “General Running Discussion”