Learn to Run

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Learn to Run

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Our local run club is doing our annual LTR program starting Monday. This will be my first time doing it with an organized group as I wasn't as involved wth the club last year. I've coached LTR twice before, but never as part of a club.
For those of you that went through a Learn to Run program I was wondering if I could get your input.

1. What part of the LTR was the best?
An example could be is that your leaders never left anyone at the back of the pack on their own.

2. What one thing would you have liked to have been different?
One example that I thought about was making sure that at the start of all the runs there is always a washroom available. When people are nervous, they need to GO! I know last year a few of the runs started at places that didn't have that and some ladies were a bit upset. (Understandably)

I know it will be different for everyone, but I'd like to be proactive in helping to deal with things before they arise.

Thanks in advance.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: Learn to Run

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 pm

When I first learned to run it was nice having someone who didn't look 100% in shape helping me plod along. I was round, out of shape, asthmatic and not confident. I was scared to fail. We had our main instructor, and she had 3 or 4 volunteers who "co-led" the class. They were at various spots in the group, encouraging us, reminding us to breathe, relax our hands (stop clenching), and smile (because you want a smile on your face in your first race photo ;) ). I loved that. I loved not feeling like I was in high school gym class & the last one to be picked/coming in .. you know?

I joined with 4 girl friends and we all motivated each other. It's why I stuck with it. I'm not sure, thinking back, what I'd want to see that's different.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Bathrooms - a must have. They also provide a place for people to change afterwards, as some people don't like to have coffee in their running gear. The social aspect after the run, I finds helps bring that sense of community to the group.

When I taught LTR, I tried to have "pacers" at the front, middle and taking up the rear. No one wants to feel like they are left alone, especially at the back of the pack.

Post run coffee - as mentioned above. It provides a social aspect to running and I find is a great time for people to ask questions. The leader doesn't need to be there the whole time (maybe just 30 mins for so), but if they encourage people to go, it prompts participants to stick around.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm

I never did a learn to run! Or any clinic! I wonder if that's why I still like to do most of my running alone...? I love all the ideas above though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I never did a learn to run! Or any clinic! I wonder if that's why I still like to do most of my running alone...? I love all the ideas above though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
. I haven't done one either. I love running alone.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “General Running Discussion”