Cool or Not Cool?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Cool or Not Cool?

Postby dgrant » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:26 am

tayken wrote:Quite the analogy eh....the "star of your team" is one entity and doesn't always represent the club they play for. The kid in question might like the star for their service to country e.g. Crosby or Subban playing for Canada vice their teams.

Exactly, we're agreeing. There are lots of different reasons to enjoy a hobby in different ways. I can't go out of my way to heap scorn on someone for not obeying the exact same unwritten rules as I do. If I see someone in an Andrea Bargnani Raptors jersey, I might snicker under my breath. But I wouldn't go up to them in public and holler "Bargnani's the worst draft pick in team history. All of us real fans hate Bargnani. Hey everyone, come look at this dickhead! What a dickhead!" That's what the Marathon Investigations man did to this couple.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:33 am

Has public shaming gotten out of hand or people boasting and posting pics of their every move on social media? If the Bargnani fan stood up in in the stands shouting out what an awesome player he is, he will get a reaction. If a thief stole something so he could give it to his wife to have their benign little moment, don't boast about it on a public platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 am

public shaming out of hand, definitely. poor guy probably didn't even realize he was doing anything wrong until the (running) internet got all up in arms...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:19 pm

As someone who has managed to stay away from social media to date, and still able to get in touch with family and friends via other means (text/phone call), I think am doing pretty well considering all that malarky / drama that goes along with being on social media.

Yes, from what I see and read about, FB/Twitters majority are just there to boast and seek attention. Most of the time, it backfires on them and they don't always hear what they expect to hear. As the saying goes....in this digital age, once you put stuff out there, you can't recall it and it's not yours anymore. It's free for all

RobW wrote:Has public shaming gotten out of hand or people boasting and posting pics of their every move on social media? If the Bargnani fan stood up in in the stands shouting out what an awesome player he is, he will get a reaction. If a thief stole something so he could give it to his wife to have their benign little moment, don't boast about it on a public platform.

On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:20 pm

You mean like the lady at last Month's ATB who took a ride of a friend to km 28, and then went to collect a medal? I guess there should have been a cover up there eh?

ultraslacker wrote:public shaming out of hand, definitely. poor guy probably didn't even realize he was doing anything wrong until the (running) internet got all up in arms...
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:39 pm

ultraslacker wrote:public shaming out of hand, definitely. poor guy probably didn't even realize he was doing anything wrong until the (running) internet got all up in arms...

I don't buy it. "The poor guy" had to know he wasn't entitled to take another medal. Volunteers give them to each finisher- they aren't just free for the taking. But some people do push their way through to take a second one. Most don't boast about it. Some end up being sold on Craigslist.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 pm

On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm

sure, but the real question is why get so worked up about it?

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Jwolf wrote:

I don't buy it. "The poor guy" had to know he wasn't entitled to take another medal. Volunteers give them to each finisher- they aren't just free for the taking. But some people do push their way through to take a second one. Most don't boast about it. Some end up being sold on Craigslist.

He isn't boasting that he stole a medal.

RobW wrote:Has public shaming gotten out of hand or people boasting and posting pics of their every move on social media? If the Bargnani fan stood up in in the stands shouting out what an awesome player he is, he will get a reaction. If a thief stole something so he could give it to his wife to have their benign little moment, don't boast about it on a public platform.

I think calling him a thief is quite ridiculous.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 pm

So, your definition of taking something that doesn't belong to you is what please.....a borrower?

Be sure to leave your car unlocked with your purse in the passenger seat, or purse in your shopping cart next time, so that when "a poor person" helps themselves to it, your response will be it's ridiculous to call them a thief because the person is trying to appease their gf/bf/hubby/wife/kids

I'm flabbergasted that anybody in their right mind will condone this guy's behaviour as normal.

IronColl wrote:.
I think calling him a thief is quite ridiculous.[/quote]
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 pm

i'm not calling it normal, I'm just not making it out to be something worth getting worked up over.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Conveniently, you didn't provide your definition of "taking something that doesn't belong to you".

Nobody is getting worked up, it's simply a discussion of ethical values. You and a couple of others, seem to be defending the guy's actions.Ironically, you are holding a sign that reads 'you are a positive role model' :shock:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

tayken wrote:Conveniently, you didn't provide your definition of "taking something that doesn't belong to you".

Nobody is getting worked up, it's simply a discussion of ethical values. You and a couple of others, seem to be defending the guy's actions.Ironically, you are holding a sign that reads 'you are a positive role model' :shock:

We're allowed to disagree with your take on things, without our ethics being called into question. You are not the moral authority.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:00 pm

True..I simply was asking for a definition of what constitutes 'thieving'. I NEVER claimed to be authority of any kind anywhere in my posts!

There is a lot more going on in my life than a need for some namby-pamby authority.

ultraslacker wrote:
tayken wrote:Conveniently, you didn't provide your definition of "taking something that doesn't belong to you".

We're allowed to disagree with your take on things, without our ethics being called into question. You are not the moral authority.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Fair point. Internet ridicule is one of the most important forces in the universe, right behind gravity and nuclear fission. I thought it was hilarious when the running internet took down Mike Rossi for cheating his BQs. He had it coming for A) putting someone else down while bragging about his own importance ("My kids learn more by watching me run the marathon than they'd ever learn in school") B) actively trying to go viral C) cheating the whole time. I don't think Boston Medal Husband is in the same social media category whatsoever. He praised someone other than himself, didn't actively try to spread his little story far and wide, and wasn't trying to represent a lie (fully disclosing he took a medal for his wife who didn't run). If someone has to walk the social media plank, I like them to be a jerk. I don't know that Boston Medal Husband was a jerk.

As far as the thief part, if you've overstayed a downtown parking meter by 20 minutes, you've stolen way, way more than this guy did. Those medals have wonderful sentimental value. Monetarily, maybe a buck fifty.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

:clap:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Everyone is automatically assuming he stole the medal. Is there any proof that he did or did he ask a volunteer to give him an extra medal and so he TOOK it? So stealing is bad but libel and slander is okay. Or merely jumping to conclusions. The snide remark about a "charity" runner did not go unnoticed. It would seem to imply a qualifier - that he deed is even worse because he did not really earn even his medal? You do appreciate this is a cute hobby and thus any "crimes" need to be kept in the proper perspective.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:41 pm

dgrant wrote:As far as the thief part, if you've overstayed a downtown parking meter by 20 minutes, you've stolen way, way more than this guy did.

The other day I got home from the grocery store and realized that the cashier had failed to charge me for my yogurt. I briefly considered returning and confessing. It's only a block from home after all. Then I thought, no, it was her mistake, not mine. Did I steal? Why is my conscience bothering me? Does this $3 sin make me a thief on par with the medal thief??? That yogurt tub was worth TWO medals, at least! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:34 am

It's not about the monetary value of the medal. I feel silly even saying that- it seems so obvious. It's about the intent and the fraud. He didn't make a mistake, he didn't ask for permission to take the medal. He took it intentionally.

I stand by my initial comment of "Is this even a question?" I still can't understand how any runner can think taking a second medal is "cool".

/jwolf out
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:51 am

dgrant wrote:

Fair point. Internet ridicule is one of the most important forces in the universe, right behind gravity and nuclear fission. I thought it was hilarious when the running internet took down Mike Rossi for cheating his BQs. He had it coming for A) putting someone else down while bragging about his own importance ("My kids learn more by watching me run the marathon than they'd ever learn in school") B) actively trying to go viral C) cheating the whole time. I don't think Boston Medal Husband is in the same social media category whatsoever. He praised someone other than himself, didn't actively try to spread his little story far and wide, and wasn't trying to represent a lie (fully disclosing he took a medal for his wife who didn't run). If someone has to walk the social media plank, I like them to be a jerk. I don't know that Boston Medal Husband was a jerk.

As far as the thief part, if you've overstayed a downtown parking meter by 20 minutes, you've stolen way, way more than this guy did. Those medals have wonderful sentimental value. Monetarily, maybe a buck fifty.

If I stole time in a parking spot, in a literal sense I committed thievery. If I told a white lie, in a literal sense I'm a liar. The topic seemed to have shifted to publicly shaming a well-intentioned act. I tried to convey the act of thievery by saying, "if a thief stole something" they are opening themselves up to public opinion by posting it on social media.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 am

No you didn't steal..but you could have done the right thing i.e. return the item. Imagine if everybody did that eh..just saying.

ultraslacker wrote:
dgrant wrote:As far as the thief part, if you've overstayed a downtown parking meter by 20 minutes, you've stolen way, way more than this guy did.

The other day I got home from the grocery store and realized that the cashier had failed to charge me for my yogurt. I briefly considered returning and confessing. It's only a block from home after all. Then I thought, no, it was her mistake, not mine. Did I steal? Why is my conscience bothering me? Does this $3 sin make me a thief on par with the medal thief??? That yogurt tub was worth TWO medals, at least! :shock: :shock: :shock:
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Where is the righteous indignation about the Runner's World article about the "heroes" who carried people over the finishing line. Why should these people who could not finish on their own get to "steal" a medal as well.

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 am

I guess moving forward, runners should start grabbing more than 1 medal for their spouses and kids at home, and whilst they are at it....spread themselves across the home stretch in order to grab attention they crave so badly.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 pm

tayken wrote:No you didn't steal..but you could have done the right thing i.e. return the item. Imagine if everybody did that eh..just saying.

ultraslacker wrote:

Well, umm, the current asking/bidding price on ebay for a 2017 Boston Marathon Finisher Medal is between $70-$130 ?? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:21 pm

La wrote:I saw these two stories on that Marathon Investigations site:
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2 ... every.html

Cool or Not Cool?

1) Runners forming a human chain while crossing the finish line in Boston?

2) Runner taking an extra medal at the finish line and giving it to his wife for supporting him?

Neither cool in my opinion, but more bothered by the human chain that extends across the whole finish line. Way to ruin someone's finish line photo behind you! Or even worse, if someone was trying to charge the finish for a better time. Not sure how far back they formed the chain.

Just my 2 cents :)

Return to “General Running Discussion”