Favourite Apps for running, health, etc?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Favourite Apps for running, health, etc?

Postby ultraslacker » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 am

Let's compile them here!

Obviously there's Strava (for anyone unaware, we have an RM club on Strava too!).

Also, some of my faves:

Pact - pays me to hit 10,000 steps/day and track my food, charges me if I don't. The amount I GET paid is minuscule, but the amount I get penalized if I miss my targets is huge, so in 1.5 years I've only paid once lol!

Carrot - free Scene points (or other reward points of your choice) for hitting step targets or completing "challenges" which aren't terribly challenging

MyFitnessPal - for food tracking

Stickk - ties monetary incentives or disincentives to goals (I love this one but you have to be REALLY committed to it!!).

MySleepButton - for those who need help falling asleep. I just recently started using this one and it must be working because I've yet to hear the end of the 20 minute track!

What are your faves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Favourite Apps for running, health, etc?

Postby Stampie » Wed May 17, 2017 11:08 am

I'm currently using Strava as well, as I've paired it to my Garmin Connect account.

In the past, I've used MapMyRun (MMR). That was great for when I did not have a Garmin, as I could track my runs with the app. Since UnderArmor has taken it over, a number of the features I used to like (live tracking for one) has become part of being a member perk. I have not logged into it in some time (I've actually deleted the app) and have not used it in over 2-3yrs. I believe Fishpants still uses it.

I've used Nike+ a couple of time, found it similar to MMR. Though, I found the accuracy questionable at time. A friend of mine who used to use it religiously started to echo the same feeling and dropped it as well.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Stampie wrote:I'm currently using Strava as well, as I've paired it to my Garmin Connect account.

In the past, I've used MapMyRun (MMR). That was great for when I did not have a Garmin, as I could track my runs with the app. Since UnderArmor has taken it over, a number of the features I used to like (live tracking for one) has become part of being a member perk. I have not logged into it in some time (I've actually deleted the app) and have not used it in over 2-3yrs. I believe Fishpants still uses it.

I've used Nike+ a couple of time, found it similar to MMR. Though, I found the accuracy questionable at time. A friend of mine who used to use it religiously started to echo the same feeling and dropped it as well.

I pretty much just use MapMyRun for mapping distances of new running routes. It's good for my gang because we sometimes have different groups doing different distances so we can share a map with rendezvous points.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 am

marymac442 wrote:I pretty much just use MapMyRun for mapping distances of new running routes. It's good for my gang because we sometimes have different groups doing different distances so we can share a map with rendezvous points.

You know you can create routes in Strava right? Just click on the "+" book on the top right of the website in your profile. A drop down menu comes up and you will see 'create a route'.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

I still use http://www.milermeter.com/ to map out routes ahead of time.

For food tracking I use the WW Mobile app, but you have to be a member to use that.

I also use Strava and Garmin Connect.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 am

I primarily use Garmin Connect which syncs from my watch by Bluetooth. It also automatically syncs with Strava, but I have to admit I don't really look at Strava that often. It is used in some of my other running groups, but I find it too hard to keep up with everyone! I will also use Strava to track my run if I forget my watch or it isn't charged-- then it syncs back to Garmin Connect.

I don't really use anything to map out routes beforehand.

Garmin Connect is nice because not only does it have my running and other exercise activities, but my daily steps which my watch also tracks.

For food tracking I use iTrackBites which tracks Weight Watchers points. It's not as good as the real WW app, but I'm not a member anymore and don't know if I will join again. I do like the points system, though.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Yep. Garmin connect is it for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”