Montreal marathon cancelled...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Montreal marathon cancelled...

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am

Hot weather. 1/2 is still a go.

https://runningmagazine.ca/hot-humid-we ... cancelled/

"Marathon runners will have the option of running the half-marathon, transferring to another open Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event or receiving a registration refund"

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Montreal marathon cancelled...

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

I was surprised that they cancelled five days before the race (doesn't weather change sometimes?) but it sounds like they got pressure from the city to cancel when they tried to increase medical staff, etc.

At least they have a decent cancellation/transfer policy for the would-be marathoners.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

For people who are traveling to the event, they'd want to be notified ASAP while there's still time to change their travel plans. Remember what happened in NYC in 2012 after Hurricane Sandy when they waited until late Friday to cancel (and everyone had already traveled to NYC).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 pm

La wrote:For people who are traveling to the event, they'd want to be notified ASAP while there's still time to change their travel plans. Remember what happened in NYC in 2012 after Hurricane Sandy when they waited until late Friday to cancel (and everyone had already traveled to NYC).

There are worse things that could happen than being stuck in an awesome city like Montreal with summery weather :dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Toronto Waterfront Marathon used to be end of September... they had some gross hot sticky ones before they moved to the old Toronto Marathon timeslot (late October).

It's a risky time of year for a marathon in these parts.

jono
Visit my blog!

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Read this news last night. I wonder if it might give a slight increase in participation in some of the October marathons in the maritimes this year (PEI, Moncton, Valley Harvest in Wolfville, NS). If this happened to me, I'd be looking for another race, for sure. The maritime temps are usually more seasonal.

Of course, there's also Scotiabank Waterfront in October. Toronto might be more appealing!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:53 pm

I had avoided considering Montreal Marathon in the past because of possibility of hot, humid weather. I am registered for the half and will go ahead and run it. Hopefully it won't be too hot by 9:45 ish when I should be finishing.

I was just down in Old Montreal looking at one stretch of the race that looks like it will benhot and steamy :roll:
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

How'd it go?? I went for a 15k run early morning thinking I'd beat the heat - I didn't. Even at +18C in the a.m. sun it was so hot, steamy. Was thinking of y'all. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:06 pm

jonovision_man wrote:How'd it go?? I went for a 15k run early morning thinking I'd beat the heat - I didn't. Even at +18C in the a.m. sun it was so hot, steamy. Was thinking of y'all. :)

jono

It was pretty toasty, the open hydrants every 3-5k were welcome. The news was a bit overblown, in the end I think something like 20 people were actually transported to first aid at the finish line and one person was transported to hospital. Had it been cooler, I'm sure a similar number would have been transported as there would have been more people over-exerting themselves.

I did slow down a significant amount in the last half of the route but that was at least in part due to the fact that it was gradually uphill for the last 5 or 6 k.

The temperatures and humidity by Noon were very warm, I can't imagine what it would have been like to attempt a marathon in those temperatures.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm

This was my favourite overblown news feature related to the Montreal Marathon.

"Runners flock to Rimouski after Montreal marathon cancelled over heat concerns"

The registration for the Rimouski Marathon saw a "surge" in registration as Montreal marathoners looked for a replacement race. Registration jumped from 303 to 469 in three days "eclipsing" their prior year registration of 320.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4304445
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 am

marymac442 wrote:This was my favourite overblown news feature related to the Montreal Marathon.

"Runners flock to Rimouski after Montreal marathon cancelled over heat concerns"

The registration for the Rimouski Marathon saw a "surge" in registration as Montreal marathoners looked for a replacement race. Registration jumped from 303 to 469 in three days "eclipsing" their prior year registration of 320.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4304445

:lol:

Well for them it's a big deal... 50% increase in registrations. :) But yeah, as a news story it's a little dubious!

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “General Running Discussion”