Do you run in the rain?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

bobbio84
Percy Williams

Do you run in the rain?

Postby bobbio84 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Rained quite a bit today and is still raining a little. Usually I go for a quick run after work on a nearby trail before I pick up my kids and then head home. I opted to not run (or at least put it off until the kids are in bed and hop on the treadmill or go to the indoor track).

So my question... does anybody run in the rain? If so, do you do anything different... extra/different gear, different routes etc...?
Music teacher by day, dad by night... Running maniac if I can fit it in.

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Do you run in the rain?

Postby eme » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 pm

It depends.

If I am training for something, yes. I put on my running jacket, hat and opt for my contacts instead of glasses.

If I am running just because or need my shoes dry for the next day, I head indoors for the treadmill.

That being said, there is something about running in a light rain (not a downpour) to enjoy.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:12 pm

If it is cold and wet, I put on a rain suit and plan to get home before I get chilled from water seeping through or my head/hands get too cold.

If its warm, then I just get wet, if I'm in the mood. If not in the mood, I use the tm.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:30 pm

I agree with Spirit. It depends on my mood or if I’m meeting people. Also, I don’t like starting in a heavy rain, but if it starts raining while I’m running then I’ll just keep running.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 pm

I live in Vancouver. If I didn't run in the rain, I'd be missing half the year. :lol:

It's not my favourite, but it's a necessity. With that said, the hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm out and warmed up, it's great. The rain is refreshing and keeps you from overheating, and once you're going it feels awesome. Some of my favourite runs were in the rain, but only after the first 20 minutes of misery.

I always wear a hat in the rain to keep it out of my face, and a vest and long sleeves. If it's a cold rain I wear a waterproof jacket and potentially gloves. Otherwise, nothing different. You're going to get wet, so you just accept that and get through it. :)

Disclaimer: given the option, I'll choose sun over rain. So I will put off a run or skip a run if the forecast is expected to change the next day. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Yes. I had a lovely run in the rain this morning.
It's a bit harder to get out the door when it's raining but once I get going it's all good.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am

This is like asking if bears poop in the woods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

I'll run in the rain. I used to wear a rain jacket, but like ultraslacker said, you're going to get wet no matter what, so usually I just wear a regular long sleeve top that will keep me dry long enough to warm up, and a hat to keep the rain out of my eyes. As others have said, it's not that bad as long as you keep moving and stay warmed. I like the feeling of running in the rain, once I get going.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Yup, all the time! How I respond largely depends on the season or the amount of rain.

If it's just a sprinkle or light rain, I don't really do anything different unless it's cold outside and then I might layer up with a second shirt. If it's raining heavy, I'll throw on a hat and rain jacket unless it's in the summer, then I won't bother with the jacket as I tend to overheat. If it's a major downpour, I'll put my hood up overtop of my hat. If the temps are warm enough for rain, I'm wearing shorts so that part doesn't change.

Other than the first minute or two, the rain doesn't really bother me at all unless it's hot outside. A downpour and +25 or +30 can feel absolutely putrid. On a cool and rainy day, however, it can be quite comfortable so long as I have a jacket on that sheds the water. I'll still get wet from the condensation under the jacket, but I find it's nowhere near as bad as being exposed and getting so wet that my shirt sticks to me and I need to wring it out every minute or two, LOL. A jacket is also easier on the nipples :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 am

I don't like running in the rain when it's cold and dark like we have for much of the winter in Vancouver. So I will opt for the treadmill indoors at the gym on those days. Warm rain in the summer is nice for running.

I never wear a rain jacket while running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am

Jwolf wrote:I don't like running in the rain when it's cold and dark like we have for much of the winter in Vancouver. So I will opt for the treadmill indoors at the gym on those days. Warm rain in the summer is nice for running.

I never wear a rain jacket while running.

You never wear a rain jacket while running because you only run in warm summer rain. ;)

If you were to run in cold winter rain you'd need a jacket.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

bobbio84
Percy Williams

Postby bobbio84 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for the advice... I will definitely equipe myself so that I'm ready next time it rains. I was sure there would be at least one or two people saying to not do it. That doesn't seem to be the case.

The days I skip because it rains I'm always really disappointed. And running outdoors really is the best way to do it. The treadmill or indoor track seem to be compromises. I have a beautiful running/bike trail close to my home that's about 10% paved and the rest is fine gravel. These are my best and most enjoyable runs.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm curious: why did you think people would say not to do it?

bobbio84
Percy Williams

Postby bobbio84 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I'm curious: why did you think people would say not to do it?

I thought that there might be a safety issue. Maybe the ground would be too slippery. I suppose if you're wearing good shoes, your traction will be good enough.

Another thing is that there is most of the time another option like a treadmill or indoor track. I thought maybe there would be a few that would suggest this to avoid getting shoes wet. I don't know what the long term damage is on running shoes that are exposed to water. I paid more for my running shoes than I did most of my other shoes and I certainly want to get the maximum life expectancy out of them.

It doesn't seem like people are worried about either of these issues.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Treadmills and indoor tracks cost money. Running outside is free. (And much more fun!)

As for the cost of the shoes, rain doesn’t shorten the lifespan (that I know of), though it might make them more smelly. You’ll have to replace them every 4-700km regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I pretty much only use my treadmill when I have to (e.g. my wife is working and I have to get some miles in while my son is in bed, it's too cold or the sidewalks aren't plowed, etc.). Most times in the winter though, I'll just run to the local trailhead and then pop my snowshoes on!

I can say that I've never had an issue with traction in the rain, unless we're talking trails and mud. Then, yes, I've slipped around a fair bit at times, LOL :)

As for rain damaging shoes, I wouldn't sweat it at all. When I'm running trails, I'll typically spray my shoes off with the hose after I get back and air dry them. Same with my road shoes if they get too dirty. Never had an issue.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I live in Vancouver. If I didn't run in the rain, I'd be missing half the year. :lol:

It's not my favourite, but it's a necessity. With that said, the hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm out and warmed up, it's great. The rain is refreshing and keeps you from overheating, and once you're going it feels awesome. Some of my favourite runs were in the rain, but only after the first 20 minutes of misery.

I always wear a hat in the rain to keep it out of my face, and a vest and long sleeves. If it's a cold rain I wear a waterproof jacket and potentially gloves. Otherwise, nothing different. You're going to get wet, so you just accept that and get through it. :)

Disclaimer: given the option, I'll choose sun over rain. So I will put off a run or skip a run if the forecast is expected to change the next day. ;)

Ditto, there does tend to be a mass wimp out with my running group on dark and rainy nights, our excuse is safety concerns due to poor visibility but really we are just soft ;)
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention visibility if it’s dark. Headlamp and reflective gear are a good idea.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:43 pm

But dark and rain are really not much fun at all.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am

Habs4ever wrote:I agree with Spirit. It depends on my mood or if I’m meeting people. Also, I don’t like starting in a heavy rain, but if it starts raining while I’m running then I’ll just keep running.

Ditto. It's tough to get out the door when it's pouring rain. It's a bit easier if I'm meeting someone. If it starts to rain while I'm running (like it did yesterday), I just suck it up and keep going.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:25 am

bobbio84 wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:I'm curious: why did you think people would say not to do it?

I thought that there might be a safety issue. Maybe the ground would be too slippery. I suppose if you're wearing good shoes, your traction will be good enough.

Another thing is that there is most of the time another option like a treadmill or indoor track. I thought maybe there would be a few that would suggest this to avoid getting shoes wet. I don't know what the long term damage is on running shoes that are exposed to water. I paid more for my running shoes than I did most of my other shoes and I certainly want to get the maximum life expectancy out of them.

It doesn't seem like people are worried about either of these issues.

You know when there is freezing rain and a thin sheet of ice starts to coat the sidewalk and just walking is treacherous? I don't run then. Otherwise I run.

A trick to drying your shoes quicker is to stuff them with crumpled up newsprint (which isn't as available as it used to be).
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 am

I have run when it has been - 40 or colder with wind chill. I swear it took me 15 minutes to put my layers on. Glasses fogged up so badly when I was running a path next to the river, though I might accidentally run down the bank. The best part is I hear something coming up behind me. A guy on a bike with a cheery voice proclaiming how great it is to have the paths to ourselves. My first reaction is what a moron and he is clearly insane to be riding a bike in these sort of conditions but quickly realized the same applied to me. Had a few runs like that so yes, you can run in the rain or any condition you want. Having said that, last year I had my layers on, went out for about two blocks and said I am too old for such nonsense and quickly turned around and went back home. Thus because you CAN does not necessarily mean you SHOULD. I personally hate running on muddy trails. And at one time, - 30 wind chill was an adventure and now just a huge and unnecessary chore. For my two cents, this is something that should be fun, give you joy and pleasure. For me, there was the joy and pleasure of doing something difficult. And even a few times it everything was good and I turned a 5 K run into a 30 K run - got in trouble as my wife was not pleased when I got home several hours after I said I would be back and figured I had fallen on an isolated path. But now, it just does not seem to be worth the bother. So run in the rain if you like it, if you do not like it, no need or reason to do so. There was a 200 metre track in a gym next to my home. One can have a lot of fun doing intervals. Heck, one day I ran 20 miles - 5 times clock wise, 5 counter. A woman in her 70s started to run with me as she was also doing her long run. Had a wonderful chat with her. There was a poster on this place a long time ago qualified for the Boston Marathon running on a treadmill. Do not tell him it was not fun.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 pm

I was thinking about this thread today as I was running through a torrential downpour and thought I'd come back to give this tip:

Make sure your phone (and anything else that might be damaged by water) is enclosed in something waterproof.

Do NOT (I repeat, do NOT) make the mistake of thinking ziploc bags are waterproof. I killed a phone that way one night during a very muddy, wet, dark, and otherwise hilarious trail run where I had entrusted my phone to a ziploc and thought it would be ok. It was not... after that I went to MEC and got a few of these:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-390/ ... s---2-pack

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I just went for a waterproof phone, lol

Return to “General Running Discussion”