Cross Training is a terrible concept

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Cross Training is a terrible concept

Postby Dstew » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I came to that conclusion today after a particularly gruelling fat bike workout. I was going to write about how riding a fat bike and really working the legs and lungs is good for my road biking. Although not untrue, the thing is I really enjoyed the fat biking for its own intrinsic value. It was - 22, 40 cm of snow so go off a the trail set by others and you were stopped dead in your tracks. But when I actually was able to use my limited skills and stay in a track or make it up a small hill, it was magical. I was completely in the moment. I have noticed I am doing that more whether it be a walk or using weights or a TRX workout. I was not cross training but fully engaged in that activity. If it helped something else, that was a nice bonus. And right now, running is not fun. Great cross training for cycling, for weight control and fitness but as I am not enjoying that activity right now, I am no longer doing it. Although the other day, the moment hit me and I ran for about 3 K and it was good. I suppose it serves a purpose if you are trying to qualify for Boston or other such goals. But for me, at this point in my life, I am no longer looking to see how it will help me go further or faster or more often but is it fun. Do I get some pleasure and joy.

Return to “General Running Discussion”