Kenyans looking for hosts for Vancouver Marathon

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Kenyans looking for hosts for Vancouver Marathon

Postby erinmcd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am

Hey Everyone! I haven't been on here in a while. Hope everyone is doing well.

I got a message this morning from my friend GIlbert Kiptoo (Kenyan marathoner living in Toronto). I met him a few years ago at the PEC Marathon when he showed up at the race without a place to stay, and came home with me. We've kept in touch ever since.

2 of his friends are headed to Vancouver for the marathon, and apparently finding a reasonably priced place to stay that weekend is not easy. He asked me if I knew anyone in Vancouver who might be willing to host 1 or both of them for the weekend.

It's a great experience to be able to help guys like this out. It gives a very unique perspective into their lives as runners. It's been neat to see Gilbert get himself established in Canada, then help all these other young guys (often out of his own pocket) come over and race.

If you would like to help out, let me know and I can put you in touch.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Kenyans looking for hosts for Vancouver Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 pm

We are pretty tight here that weekend (if my kids ever actually move out, I could consider things like this ;) ), but I will put it out on my FB page to see if any locals can help out.

Erin- do you have this as a FB post that I can repost? Or should I just make a new one?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Jen- I haven't posted it on FB yet. I can do that now, and you can share it.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Shared!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Found a place for them!

On a related note, if you're at a race or race expo, and you see any of the African elites hanging around, go say hi. I've met a bunch of Kenyan guys, and they are always super happy to chat and make a friend. I think our Canadian nature is to leave people alone and let them have their privacy, but in my experience saying hi and chatting for a bit is very appreciated by these guys. In a lot of cases they're in Canada for a few months trying to make some prize money to support their families back home, and they're glad to have someone to talk to.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

erinmcd wrote:Found a place for them!

On a related note, if you're at a race or race expo, and you see any of the African elites hanging around, go say hi. I've met a bunch of Kenyan guys, and they are always super happy to chat and make a friend. I think our Canadian nature is to leave people alone and let them have their privacy, but in my experience saying hi and chatting for a bit is very appreciated by these guys. In a lot of cases they're in Canada for a few months trying to make some prize money to support their families back home, and they're glad to have someone to talk to.

Good to know.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 am

Jwolf wrote:
erinmcd wrote:Found a place for them!

Good to know.

Just tell them that you are Erin's BFF ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

A couple of years back, at the PEC Marathon, Gilbert was looking at some socks and hat, and was offered a nice discount from one of the supporting vendors, but he did not have much $$$, so I offered to gift them to him ... He is such an awesome and humble elite runner ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “General Running Discussion”