Time to put a rubber band around my head...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Time to put a rubber band around my head...

Postby Dani » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:17 pm

and SNAP the H*LL out of it! What is it with me and food?
I just went to the gym and weighed in... I haven't been over 137 in 3 months and today... 140!!! What IS that??!!
Back on the program tomorrow. I guess this proves that I can't eat what ever I want. AARRGGHH! I gotta get 4 pounds off for sure, hopefully 9! At least I know how.
Back to chicken and brown rice with brocolli. (And all the rest of the Cananda Food Guide, don't worry)
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:26 pm

That would make two of us. Since we moved in April my eating habits and running program have both suffered severlely. I really need to get back into a routine.

Back to journalling.... Good luck, I'm sure you'll lose those pounds quickly!

Lisa

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:38 pm

It might be that you lost fat and gained muscle - which wouldn't be such a bad thing. :D

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Lean_Machine wrote:It might be that you lost fat and gained muscle - which wouldn't be such a bad thing. :D

Lean Machine, you are a true gentleman! :wink: Trying to make a lady feel better... Bravo!
And thanks!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:02 pm

Its true though, Dani. You know the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover'! Muscles weighs more than fat.. and lotsa lean muscle is pretty darn sexy!

Us runners are conditioned to look a certain way.. with weekly mileage and carb-loading. I, frankly, am glad I'm not a skinny lil poptart anymore! :wink:

Dont bother with the number on the scale! :D And if you still don't like what you see in the mirror then just tell yourself that you're hot stuff anyway! hahaha

8)
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
"Just listen to your heart.. That's what I do" -Napoleon Dynamite

Next: Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon - Feb. 26 - SJ

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:05 pm

Speaking of carb-loading.. Are you up to some Mexi's specials next week :wink:
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:22 am

*CdnArtyWife with scolding look on her face*
Dani, you know you look fabulous! You feel fabulous....and hey you are fabulous....you of all people also know NOT to be a slave to the scale!!!!
How do your clothes fit? From what I see, they fit fantastically on you....so fretting about 4 wittle pounds is rediculous....it's probably all hormonal bloating anyway...

You know I am concerned that you are borderline eating disorder....so DONT slave to that scale, You are a Hot Mama, and don't let those stupid numbers convince you otherwise.

It is very true about the lean muscle weighing more than fat....and honey...you aint fat....so it must be the muscle....you are training hard, doing some dandy hills, and on the bike....so your legs are starting to get really super lean.....

I suggest you find a body fat scale and step on it....your body fat percentage is really all you need to worry about, not weight. So if you are truely concerned that you are fat, get on a body fat scale, if it is higher than your doctor estimates for you....then you are justifiably concerned....
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:31 am

AMEN! *high-5 CdnArtyWife!!

Dani.. and this goes out to all my fellow fine-looking ladies, I better not see that "I'm fat" attitude again! :twisted:

We're all sexy b*tches in here and we're the cream of the crop.. not to mention we're Tough As Nails, baby!! Hah C'mon boys.. admit it, you know it :wink: :lol:

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:34 am

Melissa, between you and I, we may knock some sense into her yet!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:37 am

Hehe Yes.. Yes, we will...

I bet you feel silly now, Dani!

8)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:04 am

just be aware that the body fat scales are known to be inaccurate. I use one to measure progress, but don't take the actual number too seriously.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:07 am

If you're healthy and take care of yourself.. the scale shouldnt matter, only the way your feel matters. If you don't believe you're beautiful, a digital number on a screen won't give you self-esteem.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:09 am

While I agree that we shouldn't be slaves to the scales, weight can be important to our running, so we don't want any extra, unnecessary pounds hanging out. Dani knows herself best and whether that 4lb is unnecessary, so don't give her *too* hard of a time. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:24 am

melissa wrote:AMEN! *high-5 CdnArtyWife!!

Dani.. and this goes out to all my fellow fine-looking ladies, I better not see that "I'm fat" attitude again! :twisted:

We're all sexy b*tches in here and we're the cream of the crop.. not to mention we're Tough As Nails, baby!! Hah C'mon boys.. admit it, you know it :wink: :lol:
Too funny! And yet, so true.... I am glad to see some other ladies think like me on this forum! Seriously though, I dropped another 2 pounds, and to me it says i better get my butt back to the gym because i think it's muscle i am losing.
Last edited by RA. on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:24 am

We're not giving her a hard time.. right, Dani? :(

We just don't want to see any girls beat themselves up. Cuz we are absolutely way too fabulous to let 4 mesly lbs get to us!

:wink:

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:56 am

I posted that, not to give Dani a hard time, but to tell her how it is from a friend's point of view.

I have seen Dani through all her weights, and she knows that I was concerned that she took the last of her weight off a little too quick....but I will also admit that it looks good off her.

I know that there is a daily struggle to look in the mirror and believe it for what it shows you....I have a hard time with it as does Dani....(you've mentioned it here before, chicky) and as a friend who has seen her through thick and thin (pardon the punn) I am telling her nothing that she doesn't already know, but something that she just wants and needs to hear from someone else.....(that is why she posted it.....I know how that mind works....I am guilty of it too.)

So chicken and brown rice it is....food concious is good....but weight obsessed isn't....not for anyone!

I'm sure I will get a phone call when she reads this....and I welcome it....If I gotta tell her everyday that she is the hot chick that she is trying to convince herself (despite years of poor self image) that she is......dang...sign me up! Cus hey, there are times, I will need it from her too!

Like my hubby says...."friends are friends.....and I just like Dani!"

Dani....you know I love ya chick!!!!
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:23 am

Dani- a few pounds of fluctuation up and down is completely normal. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm right in the same weight ballpark as you, and I admit now I freak if I see 140... but I just know I need to cut back on the eating.

But guys... time to debunk the "I'm gaining muscle" myth. Well, yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, but for runners, the amount of extra muscle we gain is not really significant enough to make a huge difference.

I used to avoid looking at the scale, reassuring myself that I was "gaining muscle" and should just think about how my clothes fit... before I knew it I was up 20 pounds. Now I don't let myself become a "slave to the scale", but I weigh myself once/week-- no more. If I'm up, I know I'm eating too much.

It also makes a difference if you weigh yourself in the morning or at night, or before or after a hard workout. Remember-- one litre of water weighs 2 pounds, so it doesn't take much to see a few pounds of fluctuation.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:36 am

Dr.J wrote:Dani- a few pounds of fluctuation up and down is completely normal. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm right in the same weight ballpark as you, and I admit now I freak if I see 140... but I just know I need to cut back on the eating.

But guys... time to debunk the "I'm gaining muscle" myth. Well, yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, but for runners, the amount of extra muscle we gain is not really significant enough to make a huge difference.

I used to avoid looking at the scale, reassuring myself that I was "gaining muscle" and should just think about how my clothes fit... before I knew it I was up 20 pounds. Now I don't let myself become a "slave to the scale", but I weigh myself once/week-- no more. If I'm up, I know I'm eating too much.

It also makes a difference if you weigh yourself in the morning or at night, or before or after a hard workout. Remember-- one litre of water weighs 2 pounds, so it doesn't take much to see a few pounds of fluctuation.

Yep, I would totally agree with Dr. J ....

But, let's set the record straight .... muscle does not weigh more than fat ... a pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat ... it's just it's more dense ... or rather, a pound of fat takes up more room ... :?

I have gained more than 10 pounds since last year at this time, not sure whether it is fat, muscles, or all the pizzas that I have been eating and/or the resistance training over the winter time ..... Or, just a combination of all of the above ....

Although, the extra 10 pounds have affected my running (in particular short distance of 5k, 10k, and I am sure my 1/2 Marathon, as well) times, as they have slowed down considerably compared to last year (then again, I have been injured quite a bit this year, and have not done any speed-type workouts, nor any much come to think about it :( ) ... It seemed to have improved my endurance/power/strength on the bike :)

For example, last Tuesday, I was 5 pounds lighter on the scale, probably due to having just ran 17.7K and after a weekend of nice brick workouts ... but, the following day, I was already gained back 3lbs and by Saturday morning, already back up the 5lbs ....

As the saying goes, you spent the last 20, 30, 40, 50 + years building that body of yours, don't expect to change it over night, or a week, etc... if you know what I mean ....

Which brings us to the next topic of everyone has their own natural "set point" for body weight and body fat percentage, until we do something dramatic to change it .... (i.e. metabolic rates, medical intervention, etc....)

The best suggestion is asking by yourself... How you feel? Are the clothes tighter? Are you happy and accepting of yourself? etc....

andy :) Peace !!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:44 am

HCD wrote:But, let's set the record straight .... muscle does not weigh more than fat ... a pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat ... it's just it's more dense ... or rather, a pound of fat takes up more room

Oh, andy-- a question of semantics... muscle does weigh more than fat because it's more dense-- if you have equal volumes of muscle and fat, the muscle weighs more. :)
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:44 am

this probably explains the 2 pounds i dropped. i bet it's water. i've been slightly dehydrated...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:48 am

Dr.J wrote:
HCD wrote:But, let's set the record straight .... muscle does not weigh more than fat ... a pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat ... it's just it's more dense ... or rather, a pound of fat takes up more room

Oh, andy-- a question of semantics... muscle does weigh more than fat because it's more dense-- if you have equal volumes of muscle and fat, the muscle weighs more. :)

Couldn't have said it better had I said it myself .... :lol: Hey, wait, I did say that ... :shock:

andy :) Peace !!!!
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Racer
Tom Longboat

Postby Racer » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:16 am

(((Dani)))

Why do you want to hurt yourself because the scale went up a few pounds? :cry: You certainly DON'T deserve to have an elastic band around your head so that you can snap the hell out of yourself with it. :cry: Uh-uh. No way!!! Dani, you deserve SO much better than that!!

Please don't get tricked into ruling yourself with an iron fist over this!! You said that you've maintained your weight for awhile now so this is most likely just water retention. Are you eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are full? Are you feeling strong and healthy? Is your life fulfilling? Cause that's what's most important.

Please don't let the number on the scale incite you into beating yourself up. :( That's what I would say to you.

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:39 am

Dani, just remember...no matter what you are still on my "Top Ten Things To Do" List. Inside joke.

I must say that the *professional* and the *professional friends* support Dani got on here makes me enjoy this sight.

Keep up the positivity y'all!
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:44 am

yeah, scotty.. we are way cool.

8)

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:30 pm

melissa wrote: we're Tough As Nails, baby!! Hah C'mon boys.. admit it, you know it :wink: :lol:

I admit you scare me a little bit :shock:
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Return to “General Running Discussion”